Alfa Romeo Forums banner

87 Spider Rescued from the Field

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  bruce1976spider 
#1 ·
Well this Saturday me and my dad got the car out of the field. The car has 0 rust on it. It is solid underneath.

When they parked it it was on a pile of gravelish more than dirt. And they put a rubber mat down also which I think helped a lot.

I will have a video of getting it out of the field either tonight or tomorrow night. I got most of the editing done last night. Anyways here is a picture of it in my garage.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Michael

Best of luck with your project! Yet you may be asking a "ton' of questions just "to" get it started, lol!
1+2 does not always equal 3 in Alfa world...

Enjoy, as they are a lovely piece once reliably operational.
Again enjoy and there are a great group of Alfa professionals here willing to offer their expertise to many of you upcoming challenges.

M

#5 ·
Nicely done! Man for a car that's sat in a field for a decade she sure looks good.

I'd suggest right now dumping an ounce or so of Marvel Mystery Oil down each cylinder - more than likely you've got stuck rings. Let it sit for a week or so before you try to turn it over.

As far as the missing key, remove the plastic steering column shroud to expose the ignition tumbler. On the top is a screw with no slot. Using a punch you can start it spinning - it should unscrew pretty easily. Once out you can slide the ignition out which will free the steering column.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the nice comments. And thanks for mentioning the oil in the cylinders I did this on the last project car I had that sat for awhile. If you didn't mention it I would have forgotten about doing this. I plan on getting the car cleaned up today hopefully the keys are sitting somewhere in it (wishful thinking).

Should I just install a universal ignition switch?

#8 ·
Any good locksmith can cut you a key to fit a lock.
Remove the lock as described by gprocket and take it to one. Key blanks are available from Alfa parts suppliers. A locksmith may even have something in stock which will fit - tho will probably look different to an original.
Alternatively, get a mobile locksmith to do the lot. He will have the lock out before you can blink, if required.

#9 ·
When I got my 69 Spider, it had one key that was broken by the movers....I thankfully had the owners manual and in it, are the key codes. Without removing the ignition, I visited a locksmith who EASILY cut me a key based on the code. Worked perfectly....

#14 · (Edited)
It does seem odd that a locksmith couldn't handle this ignition - there's nothing exotic to it. Try another.

If you do need to pull the lock set, you may need to loosen the dash. I'm not 100% certain with this model but if it's like the earlier models there are 2 M6 screws at the very ends of the dash and two wing nuts that are closer to center. Loosen them and I think that will give you enough clearance to slip the upper cover.

#11 ·
Do you have the owners manual? If so it should have the key codes, at least mine did. You need not remove the switch simply bring in the manual with the code and any locksmith should be able to cut it. A locksmith not a corner key cut service.

#13 ·
Well, done, Michael. Off topic - are your people Czech? Your last name means bacon in that language. Anyway. I'm originally from Ohio, and it's great to see you rescuing this car. This forum and the people on it are probably the best I've ever come into contact with - and being a female into cars, well, that's special. Also, I know that in certain rural areas (I'm in one in Oregon now), when you say "Alfa Romeo", people run away scared. In fact over here people call them "Alfa Romeros".

Veronica M.

#16 ·
1987 models went to the one piece knee bolster. Which means to pull the ign. switch. You have to remove the upper and lower console and the radio to get to the back of the switch where the bolt is. Get on the internet and find a locksmith who specializes in European cars. Really good ones can make a key without removing the switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.