Alfa Romeo Forums banner

New Member '87 Veloce

852 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Saabguy 
#1 ·
I added an '87 Veloce to the collection last weekend, sold originally by Algar (Bryn Mawr, PA) and maintained by a couple of prior owners in the eastern PA area. What attracted me to this one was rust-free, original paint and interior, no damage, recent servicing (including clutch), strong motor and good synchros. But mainly, it was the sound structure, and a very fair price (eBay auction).

I look forward to this forum! I will be searching around shortly for two things I want to take care of right away. First is converting to normal 3-point belts from the "passive restraint" mouse system (4-point... right shoulder, left hip, right knee, left knee... no lap belt!). Second is resolving slight chatter in the diff upon brisk launches esp when turning. Chatter you feel, not hear. Hopefully that is a fluid change solution.

Interesting observation, wonder if anyone shares it... I was delighted with the structural rigidity of this one (no frame brace), with no rattles, seam cracks, or the like. I had an '82 base model many years ago, just 3 years old with <20k miles at the time, rust-free, that had far more scuttle shake by comparison. I can only assume the '82 was built on a bad day, perhaps with a welder or two absent. Or maybe assembly procedures or QC changed after that point?

See less See more
#2 ·
Congratulations... post pictures!

There were some improvments over the years, even just between 82 and 86. Both ours (86 and 87) are pretty stiff and cowl shake free by 80s standards

#5 ·
Welcome- photos!
I put a chassis stiffener on my 86, and it helped so much. It's like a giant go cart now when I corner and brake; the modern springs and shocks helped with braking. The brake dive was unacceptable for me with the Spica shocks and stock springs.

Enjoy the ride and drive it as often as you can :)

#9 ·
Welcome to the Forum. Check out Dvaroc. Pa Club. Hope to see you at some events.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.