Engine Seized? - Page 8 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 184Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

The engine is out! It lifted out vertically with little trouble. I went slowly, so to navigate the bellhousing studs around wires, hoses, and that throttle spring assembly.

I was able to manage the engine by myself without difficulty. I do wish my HF hoist had about a foot more reach to it. I had to place it right next to the car, but I used some old bath towels to protect the paint job.

Now I'm going to fabricate the engine stand adapter out of that 6x6 square tube. Tomorrow (I'm off on Mondays) is power-wash day for the engine bay, trans, and engine.

-Kevin
1988 Spider Veloce (with lots of 3D printed parts)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 01:03 PM
Gold Subscriber

Shakey,
I look forward to following your rebuild. Take plenty of pics for the group of Alfisti.
post #108 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 03:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
Tomorrow (I'm off on Mondays) is power-wash day for the engine bay, trans, and engine.
I'm jealous.
ocduff likes this.

Paul
1990 Spider Quadrifoglio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 04:17 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Shift tower leaks can be due to too much oil. Alfar7 is a transmission guru and he reckons that the standard fill is too much. He has posted about it.
I am impressed with the progress that you have made.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #110 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 04:34 PM

Great work.

I am just desperate to find out what caused your original engine problem.

As with all Alfa projects, consider overhauling the TX while its out. Bearings aren't too expensive, synchro parts are a bit high. Of course do the First Gear Fix. While you're doing that (the best way is to replace the dog tooth ring), carefully look over the other dog teeth. Redline 70/90NS ( be sure its the NS variety) will give you a better-than-you've ever seen transmission.

And there are also all those "while it's out" jobs on the engine as well. Like cross drilling the #2 and #4 bearings.....

Robert
post #111 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sRacer View Post
Great work.

I am just desperate to find out what caused your original engine problem.

As with all Alfa projects, consider overhauling the TX while its out. Bearings aren't too expensive, synchro parts are a bit high. Of course do the First Gear Fix. While you're doing that (the best way is to replace the dog tooth ring), carefully look over the other dog teeth. Redline 70/90NS ( be sure its the NS variety) will give you a better-than-you've ever seen transmission.

And there are also all those "while it's out" jobs on the engine as well. Like cross drilling the #2 and #4 bearings.....

Robert
Forgive my ignorance (I've been searching the forums): If I buy another trans, I can take its 4th and 5th gear synchro groups and put them into my 1st and 2nd gear? I've also been searching the forums for the cross-drilling info...haven't found it yet either.

I'm somewhat torn about straying too far from my original task. I'm already in pretty deep with this engine teardown...I'm unsure about adding a trans teardown too.

It's all tempting, but I'm just a 'driveway mechanic', and don't have a plethora of space and special tools to work with!

-Kevin
post #112 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 07:02 PM

Shakey-- it's coming on winter, seriously, do both trans and motor. See my GTV thread from years ago. I was so happy (and still am) and believe me, neither of these - motor or trans-- is appreciably harder or easier than the other! I'm like you I think 58 years old a one man band and the ONLY help I get here at home is brake bleeding -- I've trained my wife well!! As long as it's 5 min or less--

At your service as all these other gentle knowledgeable folks are

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #113 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 12:23 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by goats View Post
I've trained my wife well!! As long as it's 5 min or less--
Lucky you, sounds like sex is still on the table ... and a cup of tea afterwards
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 10-16-2017 at 12:26 AM.
post #114 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 05:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
... and a cup of tea afterwards
Pete

Been following this thread for a while. Plenty of suspense but now I'm confused. Is it the brake bleed that takes five minutes or less something else?
AaronsSpider likes this.

Spending my kids' inheritance one mechanic at a time.
post #115 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
Forgive my ignorance (I've been searching the forums): If I buy another trans, I can take its 4th and 5th gear synchro groups and put them into my 1st and 2nd gear? I've also been searching the forums for the cross-drilling info...haven't found it yet either.

I'm somewhat torn about straying too far from my original task. I'm already in pretty deep with this engine teardown...I'm unsure about adding a trans teardown too.

It's all tempting, but I'm just a 'driveway mechanic', and don't have a plethora of space and special tools to work with!
Yes, you can. But a call to Larry at APE might get you the parts a lot cheaper. The hard part is pulling the dog teeth off - there's a set on each gear, and 1 and 2 are the ones that wear the most. You should likely replace the matching shift rings too.

For cross drilling just read thru the tech discussion on RJ's sticky thread.

I overhauled my first transmission sitting in the driveway when I was a grad student. Rented a gear puller, and used a hot plate (and freezer) to heat the gears to slide them back together.

But you'll need a press - I got an 8 ton from HF for $99 - to pull the dog teeth. Or a quick trip to a shop.

Cross drilling is complicated enough that you really have to get it done at a shop that knows how to drill Alfa blocks. There are a few around. Also you need specific bearings for 2 and 4 when you do.

Robert
post #116 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 06:49 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Cross drilling is not necessary unless you run at 7000+ rpm. I have been using 7000 rpm shifts for many years with no problems with a stock block and crankshaft.
horsewidower likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #117 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

I got the engine stand adapter fabricated. Now it's power washer time.

-Kevin
post #118 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 01:38 PM

Your neighbors are gonna love you !
Shakey and sbadaro like this.

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #119 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 02:02 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by goats View Post
I'm like you I think 58 years old a one man band and the ONLY help I get here at home is brake bleeding -- I've trained my wife well!!
You are a better man than I. I finally went and purchased one of those pump tank bleeder arrangements. I can do it faster myself, and don't have to have the conversation about "why?"

Bob

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #120 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 02:32 PM

Love the photo with the engine on it's stand in the driveway! Years ago I had my BMW engine out for a rebuild, along with the xmission, and it was a guy magnate; every dude out walking with his family walked up to have a chat, no matter what age. I was a celebrity for a while. Then, I power washed them. After the wailing and knashing of teeth from the neighborhood association and a few others, I wasn't so popular.

Happened again when I power washed the car's carpet...that was worse in many ways.
AaronsSpider likes this.

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode