Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Columbia, Missouri, USA
The engine went in yesterday without any particular difficulty. Just as during disassembly, I was working solo. I just had to go slow, and maneuver the engine into position as I lowered it bit-by-bit.
This afternoon, I got the transmission installed. I had left the engine mounts loose in preparation. I placed a piece of 2x4 on the jack, and placed it under the front of the oil pan, to tilt the engine downward in the rear. I used a motorcycle jack (the same I use to drop VW engines) to raise the trans into place. It took three attacks before I got everything positioned correctly, and slid the trans home. Everything bolted up fine; ground strap and rear trans mount secured as well.
It was certainly more difficult installing the trans with the new motor mounts, than it was removing it with the old mounts. The stance of the engine in the bay sure seems different...much higher.
I started to reinstall the propshaft, but forgot about having to compress the guibo for re-install. I bought some large hose clamps at O'Reilley's, but I'm at a natural pause for the night.
I am certainly jealous of guys with shops and lifts. Although these tasks are certainly do-able in one's driveway, the lack of easy accessibility and maneuver room complicates things at every turn.
After all this, I cannot imagine changing motor mounts with the engine still in the car...although I've seen on the forums that several have done it.
1988 Spider Veloce (with lots of 3D printed parts)
Last edited by Shakey; 06-03-2018 at 08:08 PM.