Engine Seized? - Page 27 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 184Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #391 of 572 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 04:24 PM

Kids should know how to drive a manual transmission. I remember a couple girls who lost an Amazing Race because they didn't know how to drive a stick shift. A lot of manuals still sold around the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 572 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 05:20 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G View Post
Kids should know how to drive a manual transmission. I remember a couple girls who lost an Amazing Race because they didn't know how to drive a stick shift. A lot of manuals still sold around the world.
Ah, yes, but don't forget that a stick shift is becoming a car theft deterrent.
post #393 of 572 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 01:25 PM

Garage
Pat Braden's "Bible" says that most bottom end failures are caused by coolant (or water) in the oil.

Was a definitive cause ever found? If so may have missed it.

Thanks for everyone who contributed to this thread, including the starter! What engine manual were you using; the factory one?

Mark (with a Duetto engine in similar shape)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 572 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 07:35 PM

Garage
Seized but why; crank bearings?

Mark
post #395 of 572 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

OK, time to re-engage!

I had hoped to get the Alfa back on the road by Christmas or New Year's Day. I haven't had a chance to do any appreciable work on the Alfa for several weeks:

I had some military duty to take care of. Right after I got home, one of my teenage daughters wrecked and nearly totaled my '72 Super Beetle (the yellow one in my avatar). That puts me down a car on the transportation plan.

I found and purchased a 1960 Impala that had been resto-modded around 2006, but had been running on historic plates since that time. I had to take care of a few things on it, so that it would pass Missouri vehicle safety inspection and put real license plates on it. It had been set up as a street racer (no joke, crate engine and transmission, Edelbrock Performance-series parts, 4.11 gears, bagged rear suspension, etc.), so I had to do some driver's training with the daughters on it. Not to mention that it's just a larger car than the Beetles or Alfa, and they're not used to driving something like that.

Then it turned cold. Temps here have been mostly between 32°F and 0°F for a while now, with the only relatively warm days being while I'm away at work! It's challenging with my unheated garage. With the ice and freezing rain, the Christmas lights are still up, but at least I got the manger scene inside the garage (until I can get all the decorations back into the attic). Baby Jesus is still sitting next to the engine stand, along with Joseph, Mary, and the rest of the figures!

I did have one warm day a couple of weeks ago, where I could paint areas of the engine bay with touch-up paint. I'm glad I took that opportunity, because there hasn't been one since!

I have worked on a couple of things that I could do in the kitchen or basement. I ran a scope down the oil-vapor separator, and it looked to be in good shape...no crumbled internals. I took it to work, and cleaned it in the parts washer. It had a fair amount of crud inside it, but flushed out nicely. I repainted it, and it's ready for reinstall when the time comes. I also prepped and repainted the air filter box.

I picked up a new air conditioning compressor and accumulator. The compressor will need a bit of fitment when mounting, but I'll cover that here when the time comes.

I spent considerable time lapping the valves...when it wasn't too Godawful cold, I was out in the garage with a space heater. I had bought new valves, so it needed doing anyway, but the seats had some pitting. To be honest, the seats could have stood being re-ground, but as I previously mentioned, there's no machine shop around here that wants to touch an Alfa engine.

So, I lapped the valves. Lap, lap, lap, lap, lap, lap, lap, lap, lap, lap, lap, like a thirsty dog, lap, lap, lap, lap, lap, lap, Prussian Blue, lap, lap, lap, Prussian Blue, lap, lap, Prussian Blue.

They came out pretty good. I tested the seal with light, and with fluid. It seems they are sealing well.

When it warms up, I'll get the head put back together and mounted on the block. My biggest tasks will be to check valve shim clearances, and getting the new AC compressor installed.

I have enough vehicles for every driver in the house, with a spare for when I'm working on one. The Beetle goes to the body shop in February (not many body shops want to mess with old bugs). Basically, all the sheet metal in front of the windshield needs replaced. I need to get the Alfa back on the road, so my youngest can take her driver's exam this spring (the wife doesn't let the daughters drive her '76 Super Beetle, the blue and white one in my avatar). I've been doing some lessons in the Impala, but it's a big car, and hard to parallel park for an inexperienced driver. I want to finish her lessons, and take her test in the Alfa.

@IRONBLOCK, there was some debris/crud in the oil channels in the crankshaft, and the block. I determined during disassembly that #2 and #4 main bearings seized up (EDIT: perhaps "bound up" is a better description). Whether this was due to oil starvation, or binding from the debris, I cannot say; nothing was discolored due to overheating, the bearings hadn't spun, and the block, crank, and head were all still straight. I bought the Alfa Engine Overhaul Manual, I think off ebay for $29. It has been a lifesaver for me, with detailed disassembly, measurement, and re-assembly procedures. Without it, I would probably have gotten all assed-up and ruined the engine.
horsewidower and IRONBLOCK like this.

-Kevin
1988 Spider Veloce (with lots of 3D printed parts)

Last edited by Shakey; 01-12-2018 at 05:45 PM.
post #396 of 572 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 09:55 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
one of my teenage daughters wrecked and nearly totaled my '72 Super Beetle
That's tough but it is what kids do. My daughter totalled her Camry just before Christmas so I gave her my Acura TSX and bought myself an Infiniti G37. My wife thinks that it is a conspiracy.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #397 of 572 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

I should also mention that I'm still planning on opening up the transmission and doing the synchro fix.
factotum likes this.

-Kevin
post #398 of 572 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
... I determined during disassembly that #2 and #4 main bearings seized up.
Those are oiled through the crank from #1,3,and 5 bearings. Be sure the crank passages are thoroughly cleaned.

Robert
post #399 of 572 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sRacer View Post
Those are oiled through the crank from #1,3,and 5 bearings. Be sure the crank passages are thoroughly cleaned.

Robert
You bet! Before I reinstalled the crank, I took it to the parts washer at work. I flowed parts cleaner through all the channels, and ran pipe cleaners through until everything was clean. I did the same thing with the block too.

-Kevin
post #400 of 572 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 05:43 PM
Gold Subscriber

I would fill the galleries with brake cleaner and cover the oiler holes with rags/fingers etc especially the opposite one and then blow compressed air into the uncovered ones on the other end to channel air out the other open holes then switch holes and repeat.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #401 of 572 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

We get an occasional warmer day here-and-there, where I can get a few ancillary things done.

Since I have access to the fuel injection parts, I took a look at some of their condition. The injector seals had hardened with age, and were fitting somewhat more loosely than I liked, so I 3D printed some new seats and seals. I don't think I'd examined one of the seals before; my existing design was made from photos and measurements someone had sent me, so I took the opportunity to refine the design a little bit. I'll post more on that in the 3D Printed Parts thread.

While examining and cleaning things, I came across this piece. It mounts the fuel rail to the bracket that connects to the intake manifold, then (if I remember correctly) down to the block near the motor mount.

The rubber is cracked and deteriorated, and I'd like to replace it. I've searched the usual suspects online, and cannot locate the part. An eBay seller has a fuel rail with injectors, regulator, bracket, and that bushing for $127, but I don't need that other stuff.

eBay listing

I don't think I can 3D print one , because I can't find any adhesive that will bond the flexible TPU filament to metal.

Anybody have a lead on one of these?

-Kevin
post #402 of 572 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:00 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Mercedes air cleaner mounts are an exact replacement.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #403 of 572 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
Mercedes air cleaner mounts are an exact replacement.
You were spot-on! After a little sleuthing, I found this:
Air Cleaner Mount for 1983 Mercedes 300SD

My article measures to within 1mm of diameter and overall length to this; I think we have a winner!

-Kevin
post #404 of 572 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 07:38 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Dang!! I just tossed 4 of the braces with good soft mounts. Never had a request for them and storage is at a premium. Considered removing the soft mounts but decided not to. I will see if maybe I saved one.
Cheers, Jon

Present:
1967 Spider
1974 GTV (1969 Tribute)
1993 Spider ( project)
2018 Stelvio
Past:
1964 Giulia Sprint. 1966 Giulietta 101 Sprint
1967 Super 1968 GTV 1974 Berlina
1979 Alfetta Mille Miglia 1987 Milano
Non Alfa:
1953 MGTD 1958 TR3 1962 AH 3000 MKII
1969 AMX
post #405 of 572 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 08:18 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
Anybody have a lead on one of these?
Your local NAPA store probably has them. They are used in many locations on European cars - mounting A/C dryers, fuel pumps, air cleaners, ...

McMaster Carr offers quite a few variations on these things. See: https://www.mcmaster.com/#vibration-mounts/=1botk7i and click on "Vibration damping sandwich mounts".

Still, that $.79 apiece price that Shakey found sounds pretty good.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 02-22-2018 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode