Engine Seized? - Page 24 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 184Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #346 of 572 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

I realize that I'm going to open a can of worms here, but I have to ask:

I'm almost ready to start mounting major components onto the block. What is the conventional wisdom regarding using sealant with gaskets?

...none, one side only, both sides, only particular gaskets? In some applications, gaskets are expected to have a bit of 'give' to accommodate the uneven expansion and contraction of components due to heating action. As we have already seen from the cigarette seal discussions, sometimes the original factory answer isn't the best long-term answer.

Judging by the gaskets I've been removing, they were all adhered on both sides with muck made from the scrapings off Satan's hooves.
factotum likes this.

-Kevin
1988 Spider Veloce (with lots of 3D printed parts)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #347 of 572 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 11:15 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I do not use gaskets on either the timing cover or the lower pan - just Ultra Grey. I put UG on both sides of the upper pan gasket. I also put it on all of the screw heads and nuts in those places. I glue the cam cover gasket to the cover and use a thin smear of UG on the other face. I put a thin smear of gasoline resistant sealant on the intake manifold gasket. Also, be aware of the need for UG on the head gasket around the drain holes at the rear.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #348 of 572 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 11:18 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post

Judging by the gaskets I've been removing, they were all adhered on both sides with muck made from the scrapings off Satan's hooves.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #349 of 572 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
I glue the cam cover gasket to the cover and use a thin smear of UG on the other face. I put a thin smear of gasoline resistant sealant on the intake manifold gasket.
When you say 'glue', are you using something like Gaskacinch? What particular sealant do you use on the intake manifold gasket?

-Kevin
post #350 of 572 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 07:50 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
Ahh yes. That would be the chocolate colored permatex glue that comes in a bottle with a brush. Use to use it to seal VW case together with back in the day. You can still get it. Alfa glued the valve cover gasket to the cover on the new cars. I cleaned more of those off then I care to remember.
horsewidower and AaronsSpider like this.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #351 of 572 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 08:01 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
What particular sealant do you use on the intake manifold gasket?
Permatex Permashield fuel resistant gasket dressing & sealant

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #352 of 572 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 08:06 PM

If you really clean the gasket surfaces, I've never used gasket anything on both sides. I use it on ONE side of the cam cover (cam cover side) so you don't have to juggle too many bits. You can do the same on the oil pan gaskets.

For some things - like the transmissions halves - there is no gasket. In this case carefully clean the surfaces - don't scrape as any damage will become a leak. I use acetone or lacquer thinner and a plastic scrub pad (you can get some very fine ones at a paint store) to clean the surfaces, and carefully lap them flat on a large surface plate with 320 grit wet sandpaper. Then put a thin coat of ultra grey, -- and carefully imbed a silk thread along the surface, going the right way around the bolt holes. This is an old A&P trick used for aircraft motors; Gordon has mentioned it here on the BB.

Robert
post #353 of 572 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 05:24 AM
Gold Subscriber

Brake cleaner and a scotch brite pad works just fine and you probably have it. Don't get carried away with the gasket sealant barrage, it's not complicated.
You don't need any sealant on the intake manifold gasket especially the green Reinz.
One side on the cam cover, ultra grey is fine
on things where there is no gasket like the gearbox halves you cannot beat
Permatex 51813 Anaerobic Gasket Maker, 50 ml Tube. It also works on things like the front cover gaskets where you can easily apply a very thin coating to both sides by massaging it into the gasket between your thumb and fore finger.
Stop and think about your comments on what you've gone through scraping gaskets and do you really want to go through that again? Also less is more in this case, it doesn't need to squish out the sides into unsightly globs. I like the idea of the thread, never heard that before, thanks Robert.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #354 of 572 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 06:20 AM
Gold Subscriber

You on the downhill slide now and before you know it you'll be ready for...
GTV_74_motor by gigem75, on Flickr

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #355 of 572 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

That engine looks like a piece of art!
factotum likes this.

-Kevin
post #356 of 572 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 07:18 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Don't worry about removing Ultra Grey, it rubs off with little effort.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #357 of 572 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
I do not use gaskets on either the timing cover or the lower pan - just Ultra Grey...
I typically do that too but I just was warned by Mike Besic that without the gasket thickness the timing gear digs into the inside of the front cover. He sent me pictures...

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

post #358 of 572 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 05:19 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
I typically do that too but I just was warned by Mike Besic that without the gasket thickness the timing gear digs into the inside of the front cover. He sent me pictures...
I am going to rebuild my motor soon and I will look out for that. Thanks.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #359 of 572 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 06:49 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Gasket

I`ve never has a problem leaving out the paper gasket.

If you are concerned before completing the build insert the intermediate shaft and reach in and turn the shaft with your hand.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #360 of 572 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 08:11 AM

There's a thrust bearing shoulder on the bushing for the timing sprocket which should keep the rotating parts away from the front cover no matter what gasket is used or not.
But eliminating the gasket will reduce the distance of the front cover to the block and possibly reduce the axial clearance of the timing sprocket shaft to an unacceptable figure.
Checking the endplay of the sprocket shaft before final assembly is good advice.

Last edited by Chas H; 11-16-2017 at 08:14 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode