Engine Seized? - Page 10 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 184Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 10:04 PM

I recently pulled apart a 2L engine from an Alfetta. One of the biggest problems was getting the crank shaft pulley off. I spent a decent amount of time leaning on it with a breaker bar extended with a piece of pipe and blasting it with all sorts of penetrating fluid but had no luck. In the end i borrowed an impact gun off of a mate and it came off easily. I would seriously look at going and buying a battery powered unit, makes the job a lot easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 10:29 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
All of a sudden I can't view any of Shakey's pictures.

Put the number 4 main cap back on and if it locks the crank down you can then use a long breaker bar and a jack handle over it to make it longer and get the nut free. Have someone stand on the leg of the engine stand on the opposite side to keep it from flipping over.

The nut is a lock nut so no tab to worry about.

Also Alfa started doing something different in the late 70's to the crank plugs. After that they no longer were dropping out. My guess without being able to see a picture of the bearing is something stopped up or mostly blocked off the oil passage to the bearing causing the crank to lock up.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #138 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 12:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGTV View Post
I recently pulled apart a 2L engine from an Alfetta. One of the biggest problems was getting the crank shaft pulley off. I spent a decent amount of time leaning on it with a breaker bar extended with a piece of pipe and blasting it with all sorts of penetrating fluid but had no luck. In the end i borrowed an impact gun off of a mate and it came off easily. I would seriously look at going and buying a battery powered unit, makes the job a lot easier.
^THIS^

Go out to harbour freight or whatever it is you have in the US and get yourself a battery operated impact wrench.. It's surprising how much easier stuff becomes when you have an impact wrench to undo bastard nuts and bolts. I have an air operated one, but a mate has an battery one and it's much less hassle (ie. No compressor or lines).

Don't forget all the other bits that could have jammed, distributor, oil pump, lower timing chain...

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 07:05 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I use a Dewalt 1/2" 20V cordless impact wrench a lot and it will not loosen a crank pulley nut, neither will my big heavy corded Dewalt gun. A Harbor Freight "Earthquake" 1/2" air gun will get one off easily.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #140 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 07:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
I use a Dewalt 1/2" 20V cordless impact wrench a lot and it will not loosen a crank pulley nut, neither will my big heavy corded Dewalt gun. A Harbor Freight "Earthquake" 1/2" air gun will get one off easily.
If you like electric, the Milwaukee Fuel high torque offering is rated to about the same torque as the Harbor Freight "Earthquake" air tool. I've yet to find anything it won't unfasten (or break).

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #141 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

I have a HF 120VAC impact wrench. It's supposed to be 240 ft/lbs, but it doesn't seem to perform well.

I don't even use it on wheel lug nuts any more! ...a different story for a different forum.

-Kevin
1988 Spider Veloce (with lots of 3D printed parts)
post #142 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 10:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
I have a HF 120VAC impact wrench. It's supposed to be 240 ft/lbs, but it doesn't seem to perform well.

I don't even use it on wheel lug nuts any more! ...a different story for a different forum.
I still have one of those sitting in a cabinet unused. It's pretty worthless. They actually have much better cordless units at HF now.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #143 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Gold Subscriber

Shakey,

You have the head off, right? If so use some method of keeping the liners in place then shove the pistons up from the bottom enough so that you can see what the bearings look like. My experience is with a 750 or 101 engine so this idea may not apply.

As far as keeping the liners in place, use some thin wall metal electrical conduit cut to size with washers on both end and the head nuts on finger tight will do the job.
post #144 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xalfaracer View Post
Shakey,

You have the head off, right? If so use some method of keeping the liners in place then shove the pistons up from the bottom enough so that you can see what the bearings look like. My experience is with a 750 or 101 engine so this idea may not apply.

As far as keeping the liners in place, use some thin wall metal electrical conduit cut to size with washers on both end and the head nuts on finger tight will do the job.
The rod end bearings look good. I cut a couple of pieces of 1/2" PVC pipe and used some washers to hold down the liners.

-Kevin
post #145 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 04:27 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
There is an assumption here that you have been able to push the pistons up as previous poster suggested.

That only leaves crank won't turn, so flywheel or timing chain jammed. I cannot imagine a main bearing failure causing the crank to seize.

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #146 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 04:36 PM
Gold Subscriber

I have a history as an offshore sailor having to deal with diesel inboard engines. The traditional method is to suck some vinegar into the coolant system and let it sit for a couple of days, and then pump it out. Vinegar is a mild acid, and does a good job of getting things clean.

Factotum
post #147 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
There is an assumption here that you have been able to push the pistons up as previous poster suggested.

That only leaves crank won't turn, so flywheel or timing chain jammed. I cannot imagine a main bearing failure causing the crank to seize.

Pete
Flywheel is off. When I loosened the lower main bearing caps, I could turn the crank. I cannot see what the upper half of the main bearings look like until I get the crankshaft free. As to what caused that kind of wear on the bearings...I'll have to look around once the crank is out.

-Kevin
post #148 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Gold Subscriber

Radiator shop told me to circulate Cascade through for two flushes and then flush with plain water until clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #149 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 05:00 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
I cannot imagine a main bearing failure causing the crank to seize.
It happened to my Spider when the engine dumped it's oil. My daughter was driving it and she did not stop in time to save it. In this case the bearing cap was discolored from the heat. The block and crankshaft were toast.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #150 of 572 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 05:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
Why can't I get this pulley nut off! I guess I can't complain. This is the first impasse I've encountered throughout this whole project.
Just drill it and crack it off, it's soft. Be careful not to get to close to the shaft/thread. The nut is available from all good suppliers. I did this on my duetto purely out of days of frustration

I now have an impact wrench

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode