Cost to have head gasket replaced? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 05:00 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I would re-torque the head bolts to 70 ft-lb and see if it stops the oil leak into the coolant. A puddle of oil on the floor is unlikely to be coming from the head.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 05:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithanF View Post
If I pay someone, and I suspect I will, it will be a mechanic in his 49th year at an Alfa shop. He can change a head gasket with his eyes closed.

IF you know an Alfa mechanic with 49 years of experience, pay him whatever he wants to do the job. You won't regret it.
Susan likes this.

Spending my kids' inheritance one mechanic at a time.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 06:10 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Replacing a head gasket is not rocket science. Three of us did one in about 1.5 hours at Watkins Glen a couple of weekends ago.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 09:21 AM

Please bear in mind that I am not recommending this. Not at all. . . . However, I tried it and it worked. The problem: I was planning to replace the 1.3 engine in my Super with a 2.0 but the 1.3 engine had developed a water leak between between #2 and #3. I really, really, didn't want do a head-gasket repair on an engine I intended to remove so I decided to try a "mouse milk" solution (In case you're interested, this is what vintage NASCAR mechanics called additives). There are several "head-gasket repair" additives on the market but the one I choose was "Blue Devil". It worked and the annoying head-gasket water leak was stopped without having to remove the head. The version of Blue Devil I used was intended to be permanent: you added it to your coolant, followed the directions and you had a good chance of it sealing a blown head gasket. Just, sayin' . . .

http://store.gobdp.com/head-gasket-sealer-38386/

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfizio View Post
IF you know an Alfa mechanic with 49 years of experience, pay him whatever he wants to do the job. You won't regret it.
From the shop's website:

Vincenzo Votto
Master mechanic and fabricator
Studied mechanical engineering in Italy and worked at the SIMI foundry
Started working with Nick [former dealer now independent shop] in 1968
Alfa Romeo Factory trained

I am quite certain I will not regret anything except the hole in my wallet. I got my car running after some protracted rest caused by life and a bad red stripe relay. I put springs on myself. Vince is replacing some suspension bits for me, replacing motor and transmission mounts, replacing my drive shaft bearing, fixing my fans and probably 3 or 4 other things. He is the kind of perfectionist that gets upset when a nut has the wrong sized washer under it. I enjoy letting him work on my car. I just wish I'd hit the lottery.
alfabeach likes this.

It is a fierce, piercing shade of yellow, aglow with passion and defiance,
vibrating with the energy of a thousand suns, of thunder at dawn.

Pete
Have - 93 Spider Veloce (2006)
Had - 86 GTV-6 (1987-2006)
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 02:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithanF View Post
I am quite certain I will not regret anything except the hole in my wallet.
Ha! I know exactly what you mean. I too enjoy watching as my mechanics, Tony and Lorenzo, work to sort out my car although it comes at a cost. The white puff of smoke out of my head gasket turned out to be a cracked cylinder head and eventually an entire engine rebuild. Well worth the expense and I drove to Montreal this summer with complete confidence. I am in awe of what people on this board can do with cars but I'm not that guy so I leave it to the experts, pay them, and consider it an education. Sure, I tackle small jobs and have been learning as I go but I'm careful not to bite off more than I can chew. The driving season in Connecticut is short. If I tear something down and can't get it back together in a timely matter, I'm riding shotgun in a flatbed. Expensive, yes. Hopping into my Alfa on any given Saturday and going for a drive, priceless
spiderJohnNH likes this.

Spending my kids' inheritance one mechanic at a time.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 08:59 AM

Reading your description of symptoms, it looks like you have minor leaks---more "seepage' than leaks. By examining the block for visible leaks you'll know where that oil is coming from (and lets hope it's not coming from a main seal). Your description of oil-in-the-water indicates seeapage which is something Alfa addressed back in the days when Nord 2 liters were new and having oil leaks. Alfa suggested that shops and owners add a product called "Alumaseal" which consists of finely granulated aluminum flakes which are fine enough to not foul the oil pump or clog the thermostat but will use system pressure to find and seal seepage leaks. A can of Alumaseal and a careful re-torque (since you appear to have never done this, there's some discussion on the bb about how and when to re-torque). I've never been one to shy away from fast-and-dirty solutions to exotic cars (it's my red-neck coming out, I fear) so the very first thing I'd do is add a can of Alumaseal and see what happens.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode