Lower Speedo Cable Connection to O2 Sensor Counter - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Lower Speedo Cable Connection to O2 Sensor Counter

Among the handful of issues I encountered on my drive home with the '85 Veloce from Bozeman was an increasingly jumpy speedo needle with related noise from under the dash noticeable at low speeds. I disconnected the upper cable from the O2 sensor counter but was still hearing the 'flapping' noise due to the lower cable not turning smoothly.

Since I can't easily get the car up on stands right now (garage space is tight ), I wanted to try getting the cable out from the top first to lube it. But when I went to unscrew the threaded collar, I found it was being held in place by a zip tie wrapped in a figure-8 over the top of the counter. I initially thought this was an anti-tamper device, but after cutting it off discovered that it was holding the collar in place. I was able to pull the cable housing off the counter with a brass bushing still threaded into the collar.

Is that bushing supposed to be locked into the counter or is it meant to be part of the cable housing and held into the counter by a set screw or something? The lighting was poor, and I didn't have an inspection mirror handy so I couldn't get a good look at the bottom of the counter. I can replace the zip tie if necessary, but wanted to understand how it would have been secured originally.

I understand that a lot of owners replace the two-piece cable with a single cable, bypassing the counter for the O2 sensor. For the time being, I'd like to keep everything original, and not have to buy a cable if a little lubrication will fix it for the short term.

Last edited by BrundleFly; 09-10-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 12:57 PM
Gold Subscriber

Go ahead & lube it, but the the simplest ( also the dirtiest ) choice is to replace the lower cable. It runs right by the exhaust area, and often gets pretty cooked, and lube will help for a while, but the noise *will* return.
This is also an opportunity to check the top cable, and lube/buy new as well.

Here is a link to some shielding I use when replacing the lower cable & 02 sensor wires:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Heat-Sh...nsulation+tube

It has benefited my life by limiting the time under the car stringing wires & cables, and getting much gunk and god knows what else falling in my face.

jeff

1982 Spider Veloce
1999 BMW R1100S
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark View Post
Go ahead & lube it, but the the simplest ( also the dirtiest ) choice is to replace the lower cable.
Thanks for the tips, Jeff. I'm still wanting to understand how the lower cable should be secured to the O2 sensor mileage counter. I looked at the bottom of the counter with a flashlight and an inspection mirror, and it's just another brass bushing, essentially flush with the bottom of the counter, with nothing to capture the cable housing.

I found this photo in another thread that shows the threaded brass bushing/ferrule being part of the counter rather than coming away with the threaded collar on the cable housing as mine did. So it seems something is amiss with my counter assembly:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:08 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

If there's any question just go with the single cable route. The O2 sensor counter is completely unnecessary and a new cable is really cheap.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I may well end up doing that. But the parts, tools and disposables bills are already starting to add up, and it would be nice to get a few more miles out of the stock parts if I can. So I'll see what a little grease and a new cable tie gets me.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 11:44 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrundleFly View Post
Thanks for the tips, Jeff. I'm still wanting to understand how the lower cable should be secured to the O2 sensor mileage counter. I looked at the bottom of the counter with a flashlight and an inspection mirror, and it's just another brass bushing, essentially flush with the bottom of the counter, with nothing to capture the cable housing.

I found this photo in another thread that shows the threaded brass bushing/ferrule being part of the counter rather than coming away with the threaded collar on the cable housing as mine did. So it seems something is amiss with my counter assembly:

So in this orientation the cable from the trans routes along the frame rail ( this also applies to the single cable solution ), then up to the bottom of the odometer device ferrule and screws right in. Be sure to route the cable such that it does not bind with the any of the steering moving parts ( you will prolly have jack stands under the front jacking point(s) and perhaps the passenger side as well, this way to be able to swing the steering wheel through its full traversal both right & left to verify proper routing ). Then a cable goes from the top ferrule through the firewall grommet, into the ferule in the back of the speed - o - meter. Two cables, or one cable, your call.

Happy routing!

jeff

1982 Spider Veloce
1999 BMW R1100S

Last edited by jclark; 09-11-2017 at 08:15 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode