Ignition Switch Connector - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Ignition Switch Connector

Hello All,

1991 Spider Veloce.

I have had issues with my ignition switch so I decided to replace it.

Getting the ignition switch out is patience testing enough but now I have this.

Seems like a bit of power was going through the connector and it has melted together.

Name:  image2 (1).jpeg
Views: 317
Size:  116.1 KB

Name:  image3.jpeg
Views: 255
Size:  114.0 KB

Since the connector seems to have been melted together, I can't separate them.

Any suggestions?

As always, thank you in advance.

Vin

1991 Spider Veloce - Red on Tan - Rosa Bionda
1987 Spider Quadrifoglio - Red on Grey - Rosa - Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Honey, this is the last thing I have to do, then I'm finished. It'll just be a minute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 02:49 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
First, walk down to the 7-11 and buy a lottery ticket! Luck must be on your side!!

I would strip back the wire harness cover and see if you can find undamaged wires. Then go 6"-8" further and attach new wires (either a proper crimp or solder/heat shrink tubing). I am not sure where you can find a new connector but it doesn't have to be an Alfa-specific item. (you'd also need to put the other half of the connector onto the new ignition switch wires)

You may also want to consider adding a relay to the system so the ignition switch doesn't have to carry the full load of switched items. I did this to our GTV6 and found all the switched items work a lot better not that they get full system voltage.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 03:05 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Great googly-moogly. It's possible your switch is okay and something else went wrong that caused the wiring problem.

The brown wire powers the fusebox: that looks okay, so probably an ignition relay won't make a difference. It looks like it's melted between the incoming +12 line and the black starter solenoid wire, so my guess is too much current on that circuit heated up the connectors and melted the insulation.

Normally I'd say install a starter relay, but you already have one, correct? I suppose it's possible this damage predates the relay? Or perhaps you had a short/failure in the stater relay circuit that caused the melting. Were you having issues before you installed the relay?

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
You may also want to consider adding a relay to the system so the ignition switch doesn't have to carry the full load of switched items. I did this to our GTV6 and found all the switched items work a lot better not that they get full system voltage.
Thanks Eric,

I added a relay a few years ago when I was stranded a few times. Looks like the relay got me a few more years out of the ignition.

I will leave the relay after I get this mess cleaned up.

So, basically, cut the connectors out, and splice the wires together?

Thanks,

Vin

Honey, this is the last thing I have to do, then I'm finished. It'll just be a minute.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 03:20 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintre View Post
I added a relay a few years ago when I was stranded a few times. Looks like the relay got me a few more years out of the ignition.
To clarify: you added a starter relay, Eric is talking about an ignition relay. Two different things.

An ignition relay isn't a terrible idea, but it's a bit more complicated/risky to install than a starter relay (while it can help with voltage drop it's adding additional potential points of failure to your main power feed). In this case I don't think that's your problem: see what I wrote above.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 03:34 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
It's hard to tell if that is a three wire plug, but British Wire has connectors and terminals that will work.

3-Way 1/4" Spade Connector
Attached Images

ghnl and Norseman50 like this.

Brian __________________________________

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
Were you having issues before you installed the relay?
Yes, I was stranded 2x before adding the relay.

Both times, on hot days, with the ignition in the accessory position for 20 mins or so, the car would not start.

I would then wait 30 minutes or so, with the key completely out, and the car would start right up.

After the starter relay was installed, I have not had any issues starting for years. Until recently.

Vin

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
It's hard to tell if that is a three wire plug, but British Wire has connectors and terminals that will work.
Yes, its a 3 wire plug, although the new ingnition switch came with an additional green wire, AND the original ignition switch also had 2 small wires that the new one does not. Ugh!

Do you think it is important to use the connector as shown or can I just use male/female connectors and heat shrink to protect them?

As always, grateful to the community for your help.

Sincerely,

Vin

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 04:30 PM
BB Janitor

Garage
Quote:
Do you think it is important to use the connector as shown or can I just use male/female connectors and heat shrink to protect them?
Separate connections (properly insulated) will work fine. The advantage of the connection blocks is that it will make sure they always go together correctly.

The smaller wires are probably for the tiny lamp at the ignition switch and the 'hey dummy, you left the key in the ignition' warning buzzer.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Separate connections (properly insulated) will work fine. The advantage of the connection blocks is that it will make sure they always go together correctly.

The smaller wires are probably for the tiny lamp at the ignition switch and the 'hey dummy, you left the key in the ignition' warning buzzer.
Well, cant say I remember every having the tiny lamp at the ignition switch and maybe that is what the green wire in the new ignition switch is for?

If that is what the green wire is for, dont know if I have to connect it to the red or black wires?

Vin

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 04:47 PM
BB Janitor

Garage
Quote:
If that is what the green wire is for, dont know if I have to connect it to the red or black wires?
Or maybe to the lamp?

Do you have a copy of PapaJam's wire diagrams?

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
I think that is the way I will go. The guage of the wire seems to be 12, so I will need to get some of that tomorrow and the proper insulated connectors.

I dont want to jinx myself, as it wouldnt be the first time, but looks like the wires are well colour coded, Red, Black and Brown.

Wish me luck.

Vin

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 06:21 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Quadspy and I were talking about Vintre's issue the other day, and he said that when he had some time he wanted to look into the possibility of adding the relay you speak of. Can you share the details, providing it would be similar to what would be needed in a Spider?

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 06:24 PM
Gold Subscriber

typically four wires ignition switch:
1)power in
2)power out (run)
3)starter
4)accessories

the key buzzer is two thin wires

the ignition switch ring lamp is not part of the ignition switch harness

current:
84 Spider Veloce
ex:

solve problems, learn something new!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 07:00 PM
BB Janitor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcola View Post
Quadspy and I were talking about Vintre's issue the other day, and he said that when he had some time he wanted to look into the possibility of adding the relay you speak of. Can you share the details, providing it would be similar to what would be needed in a Spider?
I did this in our GTV6. The Spider would be the same (I haven't done it there yet but likely will as soon as I get a Roun Tuit). See reply #12 here: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfe...r-82-gtv6.html Note this is different than the relay for the starter solenoid. This relay prevents the ignition switch from having to carry the full load of all switched accessories.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode