Leaking injector hose 1991 spider - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Leaking injector hose 1991 spider

Hi all,

First post here. Bought myself a 91 spider a few years ago from a guy who let it sit for about 5 years. So I've slowly been dealing with cracked hoses and such. The latest one is a couple of splits in the short injector hoses between the fuel rail and the injector. Centerline sells a kit to repair them but states that they are for L-Jetronic cars only (up to 89) where mine is Motronic. So I'm not sure I can make that one work.

Has anyone else have experience with this? Kinda hoping to do this without replacing the entire injector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 02:42 PM

I doubt there is any difference between S3 L-jet (that centerline sells) and S4 Motronic injector hoses!

As the main work involved is removing the injection rail, I'd personally just send the whole rail off to someone like OK injectors and have the injectors sonically cleaned, serviced, all new seals etc (and these might also be going, if the hoses are showing signs of age) and replaced back on the rail for you professionally (cost maybe 150$?)

In the UK you can get a full service kit for the S4 injectors:
Alfa Romeo Spider 1990-1994 fuel injector service kit 0280150764 - Mr Injector uk
That is the guy (Steve) I sent my motronic fuel rail off to (I am in Europe) and I think it was about 100 GB pounds.

but of course if you just want to replace the hoses, this thread mentions BMW hose that fits....but just replacing a hose might be false economy.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...ctor-hose.html

oh, and welcome on board

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks! I appreciate the reply. I really do need to get on my sig and stuff, I'm in Canada actually, but will be in London in a few weeks. Unfortunately, I don't think the wife will appreciate a fuel rail in the luggage. But the kit you pointed me to looks like just the ticket. I'm gonna grab one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 10:37 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
If you are going to do the work yourself, here are a couple of pointers:
1. The four fuel injector ports in the head are countersunk, and each contain a small plastic grommet that the spray tip of the injector fits into. These little round rings can easily slip out of the head when the injectors are unbolted and extracted. Take care not to lose any of them as new OEM ones are no longer available.
2. The small sections of rubber hose that connect the injectors to the rail slide onto "barbed" metal nipples at both the rail and injector sides (under the ferrules). Never use a knife to cut a slit in the old hose when attempting to separate it from the metal pipe nozzles, as the sharp, one-way barbs that hold the hose fast can easily be damaged by a blade, and cause a leak when the new hoses are installed. For that reason, the shop manual recommends using a soldering iron to "melt" the rubber at the fittings to separate them from the nipples without risking any destruction to the metal barbs.

Last edited by Norseman50; 07-27-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode