advice on duetto wheels - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sprintgtc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

advice on duetto wheels

Just got my wheels back from the powder coat guy. look great! problem is I never checked and it turns out they are 14inch not 15s. I can use them on another car,,,and I do have access to some 15s which of course would also need powdercoating. Should I stay pure and go for the 15s? Any advantage to the 14s? Previous owner must have thought so.

Thanks for any and all advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 10:13 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I assume you have a '66 or '67? In 1968 or so, Alfa switched to 14 inch wheels which are 5.5 inches wide. The 15s are 4.5. inches wide, which makes for a pretty skinny tire. Since you have already power coated them, I would probably use them. BTW, the stock tire size is 155 for the 15 and 165 for the 14, but the 14 will take a 185/70 or slightly bigger if you want.

I run 165/14 on my '69 and I like it!
Attached Images

LaurandSteve likes this.

Mike Macaulay
Seattle

69 Spider
69 GTV
74 GTV
84 Spider Veloce
18 4C Spider
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 12:14 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintgtc View Post
I assume you have a '66 or '67? In 1968 or so, Alfa switched to 14 inch wheels which are 5.5 inches wide. The 15s are 4.5. inches wide, which makes for a pretty skinny tire. Since you have already power coated them, I would probably use them. BTW, the stock tire size is 155 for the 15 and 165 for the 14, but the 14 will take a 185/70 or slightly bigger if you want.

I run 165/14 on my '69 and I like it!
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO purdy car, Mike.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 07:16 PM
The problem with 14" wheels is that there are very few tire options left. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 07:13 AM

Tires are harder and harder to find in 14s.....the reason I changed to different tires , and widths on my Firebird and changed to 15 inch rims on the Alfa...

1974 Spider (Dellorto carburated)
recent previously: 58 Giulietta, 69 Firebird 400 convertible, 71 TR6, 68 GT6
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 07:40 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprocket View Post
The problem with 14" wheels is that there are very few tire options left. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
After reading this, I had a look. You are not kidding. How disappointing is this? I even went to the Coker website. They have a pretty crappy selection as well.

What are folks putting on their vintage Alfas? Touring tires?
Attached Images

Brian __________________________________

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 07:30 PM

Garage
Don't quote me on this because its been some time but, I had a couple of sets of Falcons Azenis track and road and loved them, but I don't think those are available anymore without alot of work; yet:

Khumo, Sense, $67 per tire Tire Rack decent but wet road limitations

And if you want something a bit more agressive,

Vredistien, Sprint Classic, $135 per tire 195/60 14, though listed as a tourer, many use for classic track events.

edit: just found .. Falken Azenis RT615K+ 195/60-14 Tire @@92 ea. plus shipping ($24.00)

[I]Sergio[/I]
95 164 LS red
87 Milano Verde Black - gone to pieces
69 Boat tail silver

"I dont' think it means what you think it means"
"it's not a question of where you grip it"

Last edited by Sergio; 07-29-2017 at 07:36 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 08:26 AM

You can get vintage appearing (but modern construction) Pirelli CN36 tires from Longstone in the UK at a very good price w/ freight paid to the US.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 01:05 PM

Pirelli CN 36 185/70-14 on a Duetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180OUT View Post
You can get vintage appearing (but modern construction) Pirelli CN36 tires from Longstone in the UK at a very good price w/ freight paid to the US.
c

In spring 1985, I cleverly backed over the "do-not-back-up" barrier at the San Diego Lindbergh Field parking structure in my 1958 Spider Veloce, destroying the two rear 155-15 Michelins. In consequence I replaced all four with 175/70-15 Pirelli CN 36 tires. Loved them, stuck like glue. Then, Pirelli ceased their production.

On my present 1967 Duetto, I replaced the Alfa 2L 14x6 wheels that were on it with Classic Alfa 14x6 GTA-Style wheels and mounted on them Pirelli 185/70-14 CN 36 tires, back in production by Pirelli in May 2015, and bought from Longstone at $122/tire delivered in November 2016 (there was a small customs duty on them).

Steering is nimble, handling terrific, ride excellent, as the tires are intended for the older suspension designs. The outside diameter of this wheel and tire combination is 625mm vice the 628mm of the old 155-15's. They look proportional installed and don't overwhelm the steering and idler boxes. Couldn't be more pleased.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 01:26 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
A modern Toyota model, can't remember which but maybe a Yaris, runs a 14" 175 tyre. When I was 18 and actually driving my 1750 GTV I put brand new tyres on it and Pirelli 175 P4's were fitted. I didn't ask for wider tyres and didn't realise I'd got wider until a year or so ago.

You can now get P1 and P6's in 175/65 x 14", or the classic CN36's in correct sizes as others have said.

BUT if Toyota make a car with 14" tyres then it cannot be hard to purchase 14" tyres as millions of Toyotas will have been pumped out, and there is $'s to be made by providing tyres for them.

And yes I know the correct size is 165/70 x 14", but 175/65 is pretty close
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 06:03 PM

Garage
Actually Pete, the original tyre was 165/80 so a 175/65 tyre will have about 1.5 inches less diameter.

We're gonna make you an Alfa you can't refuse.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 05:00 AM

Cool Just a minute there....

Another popular and very available tire is the Vredestein Classic.
They are used by many here on the BB and are well liked!
I have their 155-15 on my '64 Spider and the 165-14 on my GTV. Great all around tire and reasonably priced.
For track use, the Avon is probably the best tire in close to stock sizes.
Attached Images

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 05:12 PM
Gold Subscriber

The only knock on Falken Azenis RT615K+, is they are a bit noisy ( esp. on the Super Slab ), or is it they are bit stiff in the sidewall ( or is it the konis? )

Whatever. I still like 'em. Stick pretty good.

jeff

1982 Spider Veloce
1999 BMW R1100S
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosso View Post
Just got my wheels back from the powder coat guy. look great! problem is I never checked and it turns out they are 14inch not 15s. I can use them on another car,,,and I do have access to some 15s which of course would also need powdercoating. Should I stay pure and go for the 15s? Any advantage to the 14s? Previous owner must have thought so.

Thanks for any and all advice
Hi

There is often the perception that fatter tyres are better, which is not strictly true. They are different which is not always the same as better. fitting 165R14 over 155R15 will give you a more comfortable ride, having a slightly taller side wall, and it will give you more ultimate grip, less wheel spin and less locking up the wheels under braking, but they are not necessarily better. and they won't nesecarily corner better. And a much wider more modern tyre will definitely not corner as well.

there is plenty of choice for Duetto tyres listed on here Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto | Longstone Tyres

I would suggest that the difference between a 155R15 and a 165R14 is subtle. moving to something like a 185/70R14 will give a more marked difference, the handling will be less progressive and the steering heavier, these derogatory effects will be diminished by fitting a genuine period tyre, which is why it is so good that Pirelli now make the CN36 again. Fitting things like a 65% profile modern tyre will start to make a more marked difference. the carcass shape of more modern and lower profile tyres (like a 65% profile tyre) is less suited to the set up of cars like the Duetto from this period, and do not handle so well. they are designed to be fitted to cars with adverse camber and caster, which are not part of the set up of a Duetto.

Out of interest, i raced my Lotus Elite for the first time this weekend at Snetterton where i was against a wide range of other cars fitting fatter racing rubber, but in the wet i was pitted against another Elite with a much more powerful engine and for the first few laps i just drove round the outside of him on the long sweeping corner called Coram. I was fitting the standard equip 155HR15 Cinturato CA67 tyres that your car left the factory with.

Fitting fat tyres is not just a simple answer to more grip. It is worth pointing out that Alfa could have fitted fatter tyres to these cars if they thought they handled better. and yes they did move onto fitting 165HR14 Cinturato CA67 and later 165HR14 Michelin XAS. I think the very last Spiders had 185/70R14 as an option, but i also believe that the general perception is that these later cars weren't as nice to drive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode