Horn would not stop blowing on 82 Spider - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By spidryell
  • 1 Post By ghnl
  • 1 Post By garwood1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Horn would not stop blowing on 82 Spider

Had an interesting day troubleshooting a horn that would not stop. Pulled the horn relay and it bench tested ok. Checked the 85 terminal on the fuse block where the horn relay plugs in and found out it was grounded. (Not good). So the problem has to be in the wire to and through the steering column or in the horn button mechanism. After reading some old posts in the bb I was able to easily locate the wire connector inside the engine compartment near the master cylinder. Unplugged it and tested both sides. Wire going up into the steering column was grounded and other wire going to fuse holder was not. Making progress.

Pulled the cap off the steering wheel and could easily move the wire in and out of the steering column. Checked the wire to ground back at the connector in the engine bay while moving the wire in and out of the steering column. Unfortunately it stayed grounded.
This led me to think the problem was in the steering wheel. So cut the wire where it was soldered together and confirmed that it was still grounded going to the wheel.

First time for me pulling the steering wheel. Bought a steering wheel puller and some 6mm 1.0 pitch x 70mm bolts and washers. Fortunately I already had a 27 mm socket. Nut loosened up without too much difficulty. Left it on so I wouldn't press against the shaft. Fabricated a roundish disc out of some steel plate to press against the loosened nut. Applied some PB Blaster to the steering wheel connection and hooked up the puller. After reading many horror stories of how difficult getting the wheel to come off I was very grateful that mine came off without too much difficulty.

I then removed the clip and the spring washer off the back of the steering wheel and was able to get at the button mechanism. Pretty simple device. Unfortunately not much to check and the grounding ring is riveted in place. All the horn button levers appear to be working properly but it stayed grounded. Finally moved the connector away from the hub and voila everything was working like it should. Pulled the wire off and right at the bend there is ever so slightly a bit of wear and with a magnifying glass you can see two wire tips at the surface of the insulation. I will either replace this connector if I can find one this small or I will add some shrink wrap over the existing one.

Hope this may help someone else solve a horn issue.

See attached pictures.
Attached Images

ghnl and cuorealfa like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 06:43 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
I once experienced the horn sounding when I'd let out the clutch in first gear. Push clutch in and horn stopped, release clutch and horn sounded.

Figured out the wire exiting the steering column/steering box had a loop that was contacting the exhaust manifold. Of course the insulation was melted through. When I'd let up the clutch to start moving the engine would rock on its mounts enough to contact the loop of wire. Release the clutch and the engine would settle back and the horn would stop.
cuorealfa likes this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 10:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
I once experienced the horn sounding when I'd let out the clutch in first gear. Push clutch in and horn stopped, release clutch and horn sounded.

Figured out the wire exiting the steering column/steering box had a loop that was contacting the exhaust manifold. Of course the insulation was melted through. When I'd let up the clutch to start moving the engine would rock on its mounts enough to contact the loop of wire. Release the clutch and the engine would settle back and the horn would stop.
My goodness! Please don't take offense to this. I apologize ahead of time but this made me laugh hysterically... That had to have been extremely embarrassing. I thought that these sort of things only happened to me.

Of all the crazy things that can happen. Who would ever have thought that the wire would have maneuvered itself so close to the manifold? I'm definitely going to take some time and make sure that my horn wire is tucked away nicely, out of the way. Thanks for the information (and the unexpected laughs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 02:02 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to garwood1
Last time my horn wire snapped I was passing slowly through a small village, and had just started manoeuvring around a group of riders on horseback when it snapped...man, did they think I was a jerk ! Talk about embarrassed.
SRQ Mike likes this.

Chris
1977 Spider 2000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode