S4 Side Mirror Loose - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
S4 Side Mirror Loose

I've had this issue since I purchased the car 2 years ago, The mirror on the driver side continues to loosen from the base even though I've added shims. Time to take the door apart. Has anyone on the bb dealt with this issue? I see from the maintenance disc how to remove the panel but are the screws that fasten the mirror accessible? Any tips are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 02:46 PM

Garage
Can you show a picture of your issue? I've rebuilt my S4 passenger side mirror before but not sure if your problem is the same as mine.

=============================
65 TI, 74 GTV, 86 GTV6, and 91 Spider
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got the panel loose except for the upper screw on the grab handle. Seems frozen but hit it with wd40 and see if I can get it removed tomorrow.Will post photos as soon as I get the panel off. As I mentioned earlier the base of the mirror is connected firmly to the door it's the joint between the base and the mirror housing that's loose. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 07:19 PM

Garage
Then your problem is the same as mine. Once you take the mirror off, you'll find that the mirror frame is connected to the base via a threaded rod, a spring, and a nut. It could just be that the nut is loose. If that's the case, you are quite lucky.

In my case, the threaded rod was stripped so the nut cannot hold tightly. In this case, you will need to drill out the old rod. Find a metal rod of about the same size (the ones used for lamp shades work quite well) and then tap the hole and secure the new rod. Might need to cut it to get the right length. You'll also need to find a new nut that fits on the new rod. You can then reconnect the mirror back to the base. Make sure to put the spring back on there too so that you can fold in the frame.

Last edited by sriswit; 07-23-2017 at 08:05 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
If I understand correctly the mirror base that attaches to the door must be removed in order to tighten the mirror frame to the base, correct?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 11:32 AM

Garage
Yes, you need to remove the entire mirror assembly to get to the underside of the base. I think you need to move the two 8mm nuts from inside the door, disconnect the power harness and then the assembly can be removed from the outside.
This is where you can see if there are any problems with the mechanism to secure the frame to the base. Basically, at the bottom of the frame, there is a long threaded rod that extends into the base. From the base side, there is a stiff spring to allow folding and then a nut to secure the frame to the base. Threads on that rod tend to stripped.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 02:06 PM

mmolto posted some excellent photos here:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...options-2.html

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks ... Are the bolts that secure the base to the door accessible from the inner door panel? Couldn't tell from the photos
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:31 AM

Garage
They can be accessed from inside the door once the panel is removed.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:41 AM

2nd photo in that link shows the bolts inside door.....
I am guessing small hands needed, to get up there

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well in true Alfa fashion the internals of the mirror had been modified by the PO. The sleeve that's carries the wires is intact however it looks like the stem was broken off. The PO drilled 3 holes from the mirror base to the mirror housing and glued the housing to the base and fastened it with 3 screws which if found had loosened along with the glue hence the loose mirror. Sorry I neglected to take photos. Rather than reinvent the wheel I elected to use an item that I've used in the past called Mr. Grip wood fasteners. Cut a few slivers and dropped them in the holes along with sanding off the glue residue to create a flat surface and the mirror is secured to the base. The results look good we'll see if it lasts.
I gathered from other posts that the mirrors swivel is that right? If so this one doesn't and won't. Hopefully I won't have to address this in the future. Thanks for all the suggestions. BTW the nuts that secure the base to the door are 10mm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode