'84 Spider Won't Run - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

'84 Spider Won't Run

Hi Alfisti,

My '84 Spider ran just fine but the starter needed to be rebuilt. So, while I was digging into the car and removing parts in order to take out the starter, I put in new plenum intake couplers, new vacuum hoses, rebuilt the starter, rebuilt the alternator, added a new rotor and cap, new plugs and wires, and used Shoe Goo to fill cracks on the intake hoses. Now, the engine will cough a couple of times occasionally, but not run. Oh, and the battery checks out fine at 12.61 volts and 800 cranking amps.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

David

Sofia, our '84 Veloce (Ivorio)
"Superbus est, qui loquitur in prouerbiis Latinis."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 05:48 AM

so it cranks and just coughs?

sounds like you got the leads back in the wrong order (easy to do if you do not number them)

There is a little notch on the distributor, this is where the rotor should point to when engine correctly set to TDC cyl #1.
This is where lead no #1 goes in the distributor cap
then follow round in clockwise manner with lead # 3-4-2

Cylinders are numbered 1-2-3-4 from front to back.

see photo here:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/356617-post4.html

if that is all OK then check the new cap and rotor are good....there are some poorly fitting aftermarket rotors/caps....stick to Bosch 'pairs' when it comes to parts like this

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 07-22-2017 at 05:50 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, Dom. I was hoping it would be something that simple. The distributor cap and rotor are Bosch from Centerline, the little nub on the distributor cap fits into the notch in the distributor, and the leads are in the correct order with #1 facing forward and the rest as you stated 3 - 4 - 2 in that order. But, it won't even cough now.

It's been sitting for quite a few months... maybe the gas has gone bad?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 07:15 AM

and you definitely reconnected all the connectors on the plenum/intake back, and back on where they came off?

I suppose its back to basics:
Got good spark?
Fuel coming through to the rail when cranking?

(btw. good static battery voltage is not necessarily giving good voltage when cranking, and as you know 10,5V min. "whilst cranking" is needed for the ECU to awake)

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 07-22-2017 at 07:18 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Connectors seem to be okay. Thanks again for the ideas. I'm going to dig a little deeper. Something didn't get put back the right way.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 10:43 AM

Garage
I had this when I first tried to start my Spider this year after it sat for 10 years..
The plenum wasn't sated correctly and Air was getting in and it would just POP and die.
Also the Ign Wires were crossed .. and the disty was in the wrong position..

Id start with each one and see if there is one or all in the wrong place.

Worked for me..

rob s

Rob S,Cur,84 Spider,,91 164l,Prev 01 XK8,77 spider,87 Milano,91 164L ,81 Spider,81 380SL,63 BJ8 Healey, 76 Spider,79 Spider,90 quad spider.348 Ferrari spider.Harleys
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 10:59 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
As mentioned, check the system voltage during cranking. It can sound like it is cranking over fine but if voltage drops below ~10.5V the computers won't power up.

Old gas could be an issue. In my experience gas today doesn't last more than a few weeks before it becomes stale.

But of course it is always a good first step to triple check any recent work you've done...

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 11:08 AM

when you undid the plenum you more than likely removed the rad. overflow bottle for access etc....and the two flywheel sensor connectors (black and beige) are right beside this....didn't for some reason disconnect them and didn't put them back, or reconnect them the wrong way around.....or just knocked them and broke them, or pulled a wire out....?
(hence: check for spark)

image from hiperformance diagnosis:
Attached Images

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Hi Eric, Dom and Rob,

Yes, I'm thinking the old gas is definitely not helping as it's been about a year since I've put new gas in her. Good thinking on the flywheel sensors; I checked them just to be sure. I am also going over every clip and clamp and hose that was replaced or might have been knocked askew.

What are your thoughts on using spray electrical cleaner on the electrical connections?

I do have a couple of curious orphan clips and wires as you can see in the photos and have no idea where these are supposed to go...

Thanks again,

David
Attached Images

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 01:11 AM

first one I can't tell...is it a proper Bosch connector (in which case it is important!) or some kind of connector for the motor on the washer bottle)??

the second one goes on the radiator shroud (Temp. sensor AC fan)
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1122438-post2.html
miami592 likes this.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Hi Dom,

Thanks for identifying the temperature sensor wiring. I'll get that fixed up. As for the other one, I have the plug for the washer and it works, so that's not it. As for something for the Bosch F.I., I'm at a loss as to where it might go. I don't seem to find any place to plug it.

Thanks,

David

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 08:51 AM

those light color bosch connectors (whitish) are usually injectors or temperature sensors.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/944557-post1.html

other than that I don't know.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Hi Dom,

You're right... it's a spitting image of the connection to the temp sensor, but that is already connected. 'Tis a puzzlement.

Thanks,

David
Attached Images

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 01:56 PM

Garage
Well, Where ever that Lone White plug goes it looks pretty Beat Up, Lots of tape.... Is the Cold start plugged in? Its Blue but someone could have changed it.??

It has to plug in somewhere..

Rob s

Rob S,Cur,84 Spider,,91 164l,Prev 01 XK8,77 spider,87 Milano,91 164L ,81 Spider,81 380SL,63 BJ8 Healey, 76 Spider,79 Spider,90 quad spider.348 Ferrari spider.Harleys
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

The wire inside the tape is white with a red (orange?) stripe. It comes out of the same bundle of wires with all of the injector plug wires and the cold start wire. Can't seem to find any open receptacle that looks as if it is missing a plug. Looking at the wiring diagram, the only logical red/white wire seems to be to the inertia switch, but where is that located?

Also, just found a couple of snipped wires coming out of the bundle behind the washer bottle; one is black and the other is brown stripe on black that I cannot find on the wiring diagram. More mysteries!
Attached Images

Last edited by VeloceDuetto; 07-23-2017 at 03:50 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode