New to Alfas..looking for an education.... - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 04:53 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Roadtrip here on the BB also has an excellent write up. You can get it from him or it can be download for free from Ingrams website.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 05:05 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Tush - PM me an email address capable of receiving some large files and I'll send you a bunch of technical materials and manuals.
Tush likes this.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

That would be great John...pm sent.

Cheers
Tush
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Actually, it won't let me PM until after 10 posts...so, that will have to wait as well :-)

Cheers
Tush
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John533i View Post
For the effort of getting you past 10 posts...

Thoughts- I'm strangely interested in what Les thinks about your Alfa.

- Check out these YouTube vids. That Alfa sound...you MUST use your webers.
Ed Prytherch:

You have the same basic engine as he does. Search for his thread on his trials and tribulations on here, with his engine.

For an Alfa shop owner's perspective on vintage Alfa's in general. Some Spider content. Info on your gearbox and webers, among lots of other stuff. Like University motors.

Another series 2 (what you have) well recorded video. His is an early model, not sure if it's Spica.

Enjoy,
John

Awesome videos! The Vintage Customs channel is great as well...I watched a few episodes...I'm glad I don't have the 69 master cylinder....sounds expensive.

Oh, yes....we shall say what Les has to say!

Cheers
Tush
John533i likes this.
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I went on the general forum and was checking out some intros there of other newbies and welcomed them to the Club :-)

Ok, I believe this is my 11th post! Let the games begin!

Cheers
Tush
alfabeach likes this.
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Ok, PM's are working

So, I'll try to post a photo...don't have many, but here's one of the engine bay...looks pretty clean so that's promising!

Cheers
Tush
Attached Images

Last edited by Tush; 07-20-2017 at 07:45 PM.
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Side shot...

Cheers
Tush
Attached Images

Last edited by Tush; 07-20-2017 at 07:46 PM.
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 10:56 PM

I like what I see. Interior ok, not sun baked?
You will notice that the Alfa is way more advanced than the Triumphs, even given year to year. Your car isn't much different from, say, a 74 spider, and compared to our 74 tr6's, it's way ahead of the game. The TR6 is an easier car to maintain, I've found, but the Alfa just needs more attention. Fuses and grounds need to be kept good, where the TR doesn't seem to be very sensitive, or at least mine's not. Yet.

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 01:06 AM

looks great.
From the engine bay photo you can see the car was cared for by someone in the past, before going into hibernation, and still looks good so storage was good.
And a nice colour, looks like a silvery blue of sorts. (what does the paint code label under the trunk lid call it?)

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John533i View Post
I like what I see. Interior ok, not sun baked?
You will notice that the Alfa is way more advanced than the Triumphs, even given year to year. Your car isn't much different from, say, a 74 spider, and compared to our 74 tr6's, it's way ahead of the game. The TR6 is an easier car to maintain, I've found, but the Alfa just needs more attention. Fuses and grounds need to be kept good, where the TR doesn't seem to be very sensitive, or at least mine's not. Yet.
I only have a couple of interior shots, but from what I can see, it looks pretty good. I'm looking forward to getting it so I can play with it

Roadtrip (also John) sent me some great files to help me along the way and I'm very appreciative of that.

Cheers
Tush
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
looks great.
From the engine bay photo you can see the car was cared for by someone in the past, before going into hibernation, and still looks good so storage was good.
And a nice colour, looks like a silvery blue of sorts. (what does the paint code label under the trunk lid call it?)
I'll let you know once I actually get the car...looks like a couple of weeks away...truck driver emailed today..looks like and end of week pick up, next week...

Cheers
Tush
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 06:57 PM

The best thing you can do with a 1981 is to get rid of the single-valve "monofarfalla" air intake. There is no compelling reason to keep it. Parts are downright nonexistent (you can shim an earlier size air filter with pieces of cardboard to fit an 81 airbox). It makes everything on the passenger side more or less inaccessible. Also, the EGR system has loads of flex lines in it that all fail and make lots of exhaust leaks. While you're at it, the EGR system, air pump, and catalytic converter can also go directly into the trash. You'll need to relocate the coolant bottle to the driver's side (bend some sheet metal and pop-rivet it in place to make a new bracket) and replace the exhaust manifold too because the stock 81 one is full of holes / flex lines for the EGR system.

The 81 has an electronic ignition module sourced from GM (replacements available, but might require hunting on non-alfa specific parts sources). When mine failed I switched to an old Marelli distributor with points and a mechanical advance mechanism I found in the trunk of my parts car - this system offered a noticeable performance improvement - it is my personal conjecture that the stock '81 system is optimized for emissions purposes, not performance.

Keeping the SPICA or switching to carbs is a personal decision, but IMO any old car can have carbs, but the SPICA system is something unique to Alfa (and gets better fuel economy, has similar performance, and requires basically zero maintenance aside from an oil filter). I opted to keep the SPICA system, although my pump eventually needed a rebuild (with ~200K on my rather-tired motor!). As many others have mentioned, Wes Ingram is the expert to go to for all things SPICA.
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the note. Yes, it sounds like the earlier set up while maintaining the Spica is the way to go. I'll investigate it more once I get the car and see if I can even get it running with the current stock equipment fitted.

I won't get to spend too much time on it though at the moment as I'm in the middle of two Triumph restos....I need to get those finished before I start pulling something else apart...

Cheers
Tush
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 11:10 PM

Yeah, T, I was going to say...your plate is mega-full right now! I'm torn between watching you dink around with the Alfa, and seeing the TR8 running again. I really want to see that...I'm the only guy I know who has loved the TR7 dash and shape, and the TR8 is really cool. Alfa can wait!
alfabeach likes this.

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode