What is a 105/115 Spider? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 04:21 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
As evieceli "sez", there are many opinions so I'll add mine.
I have a 73 Spider Veloce and it's VIN starts with 115. It doesn't bother me when ordered parts as to which is listed, 105 or 115, they have always fit . Whether they came from the UK at Classic Alfa or Colorado from Centerline, they work for me.

When doing sparse reading on the Spider, I noted the designation of the S1, S2, S2a, S3 and the S4. Yes, two classifications of the S2.
From records we had no imports released during 1970 (those of you old enough to remember the Russian steel issue?). 69 of course was the S1, 71-74 were the S2, 75 thru 82 were (Kammtails) the S2a,, with the wonderful regs on "safety",, thank you Mr. Nader.

So hopefully, you get the idea, by the way, those 71's,, should have been 70's if they could have got out of the docks.

"No chance, no destiny, no fate can circumvent, change or control the firm resolve of a determined soul"

73 Spider
80 BMW e21(Sold, gone to Houston)
79 Spider (sold)
78 Spider (sold, gone to U K)
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 07:56 PM

Actually I believe that the 105 was all models up to the 2000, which became the 115.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howndog View Post
Actually I believe that the 105 was all models up to the 2000, which became the 115.
Wrong.

R.I.P. Alfa Romeo 1910 - 1986. 1987---> Badge engineering since then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaboutvegas
, 71-74 were the S2, 75 thru 82 were (Kammtails) the S2a,
Every S2 from 1971 on is a Kammtail.
Russian steel wasn't used until 1974 in a lot of European factories.

A lot of tell tales in the whole thread.

Just check VIN's from 1971on @ Giulias and Spiders and a light will switch on.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 09:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunttheshunt View Post
Wrong.
Just to try to retain any sort of sanity (LOL) here. This topic is complicated yet strangely interesting as well. Are there by chance any identification/versioning differences between European and North American series cars? I'm just wondering if we can all actually be correct in a sense that there was some sort of existing anomaly between the two. All I've seen here in the US for 105 cars are those with 1750 engines and 115 for 2000. I'm just going by what I've seen. Of course I haven't "seen" every model sold here and will gladly admit that I can be wrong and am just testing the waters here.

Are there any 105 US modeled cars with 2000 engines? If so, well then I'll go have a beer and drown away my headache. I am glad that there is a handy identification tag in my engine compartment showing 10562! Whew!

Last edited by evieceli; 07-23-2017 at 09:32 PM.
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 09:37 PM

US market is not the only one in the world - there is also ROW.
Spiders were not only equipped with 1750 and 2000 engines.

That's a fact, hardly to believe but true. Your Mr T also has some issues to believe there is anything else than the US in the world. May be he missed some lessons in geography.

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 09:53 PM

Garage
Quote:

That's a fact, hardly to believe but true. Your Mr T also has some issues to believe there is anything else than the US in the world. May be he missed some lessons in geography.
I'm sorry you feel inclined to providing such a comment. I personally never said that there weren't any other markets in the world other than the US. I only asked a general question comparing the US and European markets... of course there are other markets. Why wouldn't anyone think so?
Alfaboutvegas likes this.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 11:38 PM

Some minor data to show the reality:

(as well with Giulias)
Attached Images

Last edited by hunttheshunt; 07-23-2017 at 11:52 PM.
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 05:00 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:

We all know the US market is not the only one in the world. It was pretty clear to me the poster's comment that you are referring to showed a bit of uncertainty about the model number and how it relates to the engine displacement. In general, for the US and Canadian market, to which he was referring, 105 cars came with 1300, 1600 ad 1750 engines. The 115 cars came with 2000 engines. We never got the Montreal, nor did Canada, I believe. Canadians did get some cars in 1968 that we didn't get. See poster's comments below.

Introducing politics into this thread is in fact, going off topic. I only skimmed thru this thread but, did not see anyone mention Ms. M. So, why did you bring up Mr. T? He's got nothing to do with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howndog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by evieceli View Post
Just to try to retain any sort of sanity (LOL) here. This topic is complicated yet strangely interesting as well. Are there by chance any identification/versioning differences between European and North American series cars? I'm just wondering if we can all actually be correct in a sense that there was some sort of existing anomaly between the two. All I've seen here in the US for 105 cars are those with 1750 engines and 115 for 2000. I'm just going by what I've seen. Of course I haven't "seen" every model sold here and will gladly admit that I can be wrong and am just testing the waters here.

Are there any 105 US modeled cars with 2000 engines? If so, well then I'll go have a beer and drown away my headache. I am glad that there is a handy identification tag in my engine compartment showing 10562! Whew!
The US actually got a few 105.62 Spiders with 2000 engines, Andrew Watry ran into one some months ago and posted pictures, etc. I went to my reference, Tabouchi and found that Andrew's car was the real deal. Strange, but true. :-)
Alfaboutvegas and evieceli like this.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 05:21 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The pictures pretty much back up what I posted. Alfa started numbering the U.S. spiders in the early 70's 115's.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
The pictures pretty much back up what I posted. Alfa started numbering the U.S. spiders in the early 70's 115's.
But Euro Spiders also got 115#īs; what has been denied on page 1.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia
In general, for the US and Canadian market, to which he was referring, 105 cars came with 1300, 1600 ad 1750 engines. The 115 cars came with 2000 engines.
The pic listings tell a different story about 1600īs; and on page 1 it has been stated Euro models have been 105īs throughout, and only US 115īs.

Thatīs wrong.

Thread starter question was: Differences between 105īs and 115īs.

post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 05:38 AM
Quote:
...Thread starter question was: Differences between 105īs and 115īs.
Wrong.

The thread starter asked if his 1980 Spider was a105 or a 115...
Alfaboutvegas likes this.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 06:31 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaboutvegas View Post

From records we had no imports released during 1970 (those of you old enough to remember the Russian steel issue?). 69 of course was the S1, 71-74 were the S2, 75 thru 82 were (Kammtails) the S2a,, with the wonderful regs on "safety",, thank you Mr. Nader.

So hopefully, you get the idea, by the way, those 71's,, should have been 70's if they could have got out of the docks.

S2 is the stainless steel bumpers 71 to 74. S2a is the rubber bumper cars. 75 to 82. 71 on are kammtail cars.

No car were imported to the U.S. in 68 or 70 due to emissions.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 06:59 AM

S2 with rubber buper is market specific, not throughout changed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode