Turn signals stopped working - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Turn signals stopped working

Car is running amazing. However. Turn signals stopped working. When I go over a bump or hit the side of the steering wheel, while the turn signal lever is activated, the lights on the dash and the exterior signal lights come on. I assume there is a loose ground or loose contact. Gonna take steering wheel off to replace with smaller, so I assume it is easy to access and clean the contacts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Will contact cleaner with long straw. Reach the switch contacts with the wheel on?

1987 S3 Spider Quad 81k miles- California car- no rust - always garaged - everything works - my first manual car - amazing!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Actually, just checked four way hazards. Switch is lighted on console, but lights don't activate. Perhaps bad fuse. Will check that first tomorrow.

1987 S3 Spider Quad 81k miles- California car- no rust - always garaged - everything works - my first manual car - amazing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 05:21 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to spiderJohnNH Send a message via Skype™ to spiderJohnNH
When I bought my '87 Spider two years ago, the turn signals and flashers were intermittent. I quickly learned to wiggle fuse #5. After a couple of months of that, they have been rock solid. I did swap fuses putting one with brass in, instead of aluminum.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

John R
So. NH, USA --'87 Spider Veloce
See you along the road - member of AROC/AONE

other current members of the fleet

2017 VW Jetta Tsi
2006 Subaru Outback - almost a driveway requirement in VT & NH
2007 Toyota Corolla

previous
2009 VW Jett TDi (Deer took this one out)
1984 Mercedes 300TDT wagon, rust took that one
1972 Mercedes 280SE, got in straight swap for the Discovery
1996 Land Rover Discovery
1986 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon
1962 VW Bug - 6 volt
1974 Triumph Spitfire - wobbly driveshaft kept destroying stuff
1972 Triumph Spitfire - got totaled while parked at DMV

some others that were less interesting
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 06:07 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
Before getting inside the combination switch check all the other possibilities - faulty fuses, poor grounds, etc.

But if you decide to dig into the switch have a look here: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...lean-lube.html

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 07:40 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
Will contact cleaner with long straw. Reach the switch contacts with the wheel on?
It can't hurt to spray contact cleaner in there - but the headlight contacts will probably benefit more than the turn signals. I really doubt the TS switch is the source of your problem.

Quote:
Actually, just checked four way hazards. Switch is lighted on console, but lights don't activate. Perhaps bad fuse.
Well, it isn't a blown fuse; if it were, the exterior TS lights, dash indicator and hazards would never activate. It could be an intermittent connection between the fuse and holder, or a crack in the fuse element. That would explain the TS coming on when you hit a bump.

It could also be the four way hazard switch. The turn signals route through that thing, and a bad internal connection in the hazard switch can produce strange symptoms.

What happens when you move the TS lever on the column to "L" or "R" and push on the hazard switch?

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 07-11-2017 at 07:48 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 07:41 AM

Garage
Replace all fuses they are cheap. Clean all fuse and relay contacts, contact cleaner and old toothbrush are your best friends. Then start check those grounds. Any 30 year old car will have those issues.

Richard
76 Alfetta GTV gone to rust haven, 89 Spider the red graduate, 86 GTV6 on wish list
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 07:52 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeach View Post
Then start check those grounds. Any 30 year old car will have those issues.
alfabeach is correct that grounds can become flakey on a 30 year old car. And if your symptom was that one of the TS bulbs wasn't coming on, or one was dim, then I would agree that looking at that bulb's ground connection was the right place to begin.

However, as I understand it none of your four exterior bulbs are coming on. It is unlikely that all four bulb sockets have developed bad grounds at the same time. So I am guessing that bad grounds are not the primary issue here.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 07-11-2017 at 07:59 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, when I hit the steering wheel hard from the side the dash light and exterior lights come on momentarily. I will check the fuses, but considering a vibration to the wheel turns them on, I would think maybe a contact needs to be cleaned in the steering column

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

I touched the N13 relay in the fuse box and moved it back and forth. And wallah!! Hazards and turn signal work intermittently. I am going to clean the contacts with elec cleaner and hope that it isn't too loose to keep working.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Couldn't get relay to work consistently. So, I think it's the relay. $27 at Alfa Parts in Berkeley! If that doesn't fix problem, I will check the spade connectors behind the fusebox because putting mild pressure on it back and forth, made it click and work and all lights work. For some reason, the correct four prong flasher relay, is only $27 from Alfa parts, and $59 from Centerline!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 06:09 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
Check the connection in the fuse box - both in the back where all the wire harness plugs connect and the female connections that the relay plugs in to. I had similar symptoms in our GTV6 where I had to wiggle the flasher relay to get all the turn signals to work. Turns out one of the female connectors for the flasher was out of position - the make spade on the flasher was not fully inserting into the female part making for an intermittent connection.

Here's some info on a different connector but the same principle: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...connector.html

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 07:05 PM

Garage
$6.32 at Rock Auto, it is electronic with only 3 prongs and works with LED blubs on my 89.

Richard
76 Alfetta GTV gone to rust haven, 89 Spider the red graduate, 86 GTV6 on wish list
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
Check the connection in the fuse box - both in the back where all the wire harness plugs connect and the female connections that the relay plugs in to. I had similar symptoms in our GTV6 where I had to wiggle the flasher relay to get all the turn signals to work. Turns out one of the female connectors for the flasher was out of position - the make spade on the flasher was not fully inserting into the female part making for an intermittent connection.

Here's some info on a different connector but the same principle: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...connector.html

Exactly. I will check that tomorrow. I reached around but couldn't get a good feel on the spades. Appreciate it

1987 S3 Spider Quad 81k miles- California car- no rust - always garaged - everything works!, until it doesn't.......
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

New 4 pronged relay arrived. Out some dialectric on it, Plugged it in, and all is good!

1987 S3 Spider Quad 81k miles- California car- no rust - always garaged - everything works!, until it doesn't.......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode