Headlight reposition - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lokki

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Headlight reposition

Sorry to ask, but is there a guide anywhere on this forum for a Spider 87 headlight procedure? Tried a search, but nothing. Or I have the workshop manual, but can't find it. Is it in there?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 12:09 AM

in my manual it is in section 40 "Electrical -front combination lights"...well at least the method is where you shine the lights on a wall from 33 ft (10m)
Attached Images

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:34 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
That's cool, I'm not sure that diagram was included in US spec cars, at least not on my '74.

Are dimension D & E the same? If not, do you know what dimension D is supposed to be?

Greg East
Loveland, CO USA
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'87 Porsche 944 turbo
'93 BMW 740i
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregeast View Post
That's cool, I'm not sure that diagram was included in US spec cars, at least not on my '74.

Are dimension D & E the same? If not, do you know what dimension D is supposed to be?
yep.

the WSM says: Interaxis D of the luminous beam should be equal to interaxis E of the headlights

B it gives as 619,56 mm (24.4 inch)....I rounded that to 62 cm!

Obviously the car needs to be on horizontal ground

Note: although this is taken from my USA S4WSM, it does say 'this is according to current italian regulations'.....whether USA is different.....?

another useful link:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...ent-specs.html

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 07:06 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I recently had to re-aim the headlights on my car. Since I didn't have any info in my 1971 manual, I looked to the net and found a very similar system at Popular Mechanics:

How to Adjust Your Headlights - Aim Your Headlights

However it turned out not to be immediately practical for me to find a level place with a plain wall 25 - 30 feet away where I could fiddle with the car, a measuring tape, and make marks on some stranger's wall in the dark for half an hour (without getting arrested?).

So, I decided to make a quick effort to get things close: I took my 'daily driver' and moved it to the end of my driveway giving me roughly 15 feet from the headlight lenses to the closed garage door. I marked the car's place in the drive with masking tape: left side, right side, front bumper. I turned on the low beams and then marked the center point where the light from each beam hit the garage door with an '+' made of masking tape. I then made a second mark for the high beams.

I then put my Spider in the same, marked, location in the drive with the front of the headlight lenses as close as I could get them to where the daily driver's had been. I then adjusted the Spider's headlights to hit the same marks on the garage door; when the low beams were right, the high beams hit their marks automatically. The whole process took about 20 minutes.

As far as I can tell anyhow the lights are aimed properly and no math or measurement was involved which is a big deal for me.
rooony likes this.

71 Spider

Last edited by Lokki; 07-06-2017 at 07:10 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 07:34 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokki View Post
However it turned out not to be immediately practical for me to find a level place with a plain wall 25 - 30 feet away where I could fiddle with the car, a measuring tape, and make marks on some stranger's wall in the dark for half an hour (without getting arrested?).
I will admit to driving around town scouting out locations with a flat surface and a plain wall on more than one occasion but had the same concerns as you. I finally found a place at a friend's shop that will work ok.

I like your solution, close enough is good enough. Even with E-Code lenses, H4 bulbs and relays I've never had anyone flash me, even with the high beams on. I think the Spider is so much lower to the ground than all the SUVs that they just don't notice.

Greg East
Loveland, CO USA
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'87 Porsche 944 turbo
'93 BMW 740i
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 08:48 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
I usually go to a parking garage. There are a few around me that are pretty deserted on the weekends and dark enough down on the lower level to do it during the day.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 10:42 AM

on my S4 it is a little more difficult: some german S4's had motorized/adjustable tilt headlights.....mine does.
The horizontal adjustment screw is from the front (as usual) but the verticle adjustment is from behind. The plastic fender inner protector has a small plate you unscrew then you can get to the back of the light. The verticle adjuster is on the headlight motor itself.

Odd idea on a spider, being 2 seater with a small trunk...because you are hardly going to be carrying 3 extra passengers in the back and a few hundredweight of their luggage in the trunk!

I have seen very few spiders with this factory set up, even here in Germany.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 10:45 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
I usually go to a parking garage. There are a few around me that are pretty deserted on the weekends and dark enough down on the lower level to do it during the day.
Genius!

Greg East
Loveland, CO USA
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'87 Porsche 944 turbo
'93 BMW 740i

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode