Alfa Ignition cylinder - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Alfa Ignition cylinder

Hi All,

Hope you are all having a great 4th weekend. I thought I was making progress. I was replacing the power window cable on my 86 Quad and once installed (hopefully for the last time and hopefully it works), I could not get the power windows to work at all. Went back again this am to work on it and now, the ignition key will not turn in the cylinder. The car has 30k original miles. I did already sacrificed my first born to the Alfa gods, but apparently that was not enough. There must be something else up as literally the key worked fine yesterday and this am, it does not turn. Any ideas? Any other offerings I must give to the Alfa gods?

Thanks.

2012 Subaru WRX STI Limited • 2006 VW Touareg V-8 • 1998 Mercedes e320 Wagon 4Matic • 1986 Alfa Spider Quadrafoglio • 1970 1/2 Pontiac Firebird Trans-am
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 11:06 AM

could the steering lock have engaged?....try turning the steering wheel a bit (to release pressure off the lock bolt) whilst turning the key....

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Hi Spider,

Yes, have tried all that. Even put the front wheels off the ground and turned the wheels by hand while daughter rocked steering wheel and key. No luck.

2012 Subaru WRX STI Limited • 2006 VW Touareg V-8 • 1998 Mercedes e320 Wagon 4Matic • 1986 Alfa Spider Quadrafoglio • 1970 1/2 Pontiac Firebird Trans-am
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 11:20 AM

try spraying some 'tri-flow' in the lock.......this stuff worked for a couple of guys here in this similar thread

Otherwise, sounds like you'll need to remove the IGN lock

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...wont-turn.html

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

So I have decided I have to R&R the ignition switch. I know there is a sheared bolt I need to remove. I am ASSUMING that bolt is on the top of the steering column. Is that right?

ALSO, How do I access? Do I drop the column? Do I take off the plastic starring column covers? I have the bottom half off, but not sure how to get the top one off.

Thanks for any input. All this started with a broken power window cable. Now half the interior is apart.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 04:20 PM

I had a locksmith repair mine after removal.
Here's a link on how to r & r:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...placement.html

Jay Hunt
1986 Spider Veloce
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

I could use a little more help please. As the summer ticks on, my alfa remains dormant. So as we have determined, removing the safety bolt is irrelevant as I cannot remove it as I cannot turn it. So I have bought a replacement steering column with a key. With that in hand and turning the key, I can feel the spring back of the steering lock mechanism on the replacement that I do not have on the one in my car. So that locking mechanism appears to be the issue. The used column I have is the outside of the column (the part that actually has the ignition cylinder in it) and the cylinder, NOT the steering rod that goes down through the column. Being familiar with American cars, you can remove the whole thing as a unit. But the Alfa appears different. Then I had a supposed stroke of genius. Unbolt the column from the body, remove the steering wheel and all components and slide the old column off and the new one on! Fantastic. But the column does not drop low enough for the attachment points to clear the dash on the way out. Can someone please tell me (and hopefully it's simple) how to do this job?

Thank you for any assistance!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode