Steering stuck, key won't turn - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 01:41 PM
Registered User
Platinum Subscriber
 
SpiderMan59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 28
Garage
Hi All,

I just encountered this problem today, upon parking my 1991 Spider right after it was delivered to me - the key and steering wheel locked up. So I came here looking for the answers - I was able to unstick everything by another wiggle of the steering wheel and key, but I am concerned that this problem will recur, as it will unless I get the lock mechanism replaced, right?

A couple of questions - is the lubricant mentioned above Tri-Flow? I think my keys are the original ones....can I just go to a hardware store or locksmith to get copies cut from them?

Thanks,
Jim

JimB in SoCal

Current Cars Owned: 1991 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce!!!!, 2012 Buick Verano
Previous Cars Owned: 1956 Chevy Sedan, 1969 Chevy Caprice Sedan, 1973 Chevy Caprice Sedan, 2000 Saturn S1 Sedan.

Last edited by SpiderMan59; 08-08-2017 at 03:52 PM.
SpiderMan59 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 03:29 PM
Del
Senior Member
Gold Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: seattle
Posts: 15,348
Our Milano had this sort of thing happen, and it turned out a piece of the casting broke off inside the cylinder. Had to take it all apart and take out the broken piece. Then it worked ok since. The broken piece was a tab inside which retained the key when turned, forgot just how now, but the switch works ok now with no problems.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
Del is online now  
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 04:18 PM
Registered User
Platinum Subscriber
 
SpiderMan59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 28
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Our Milano had this sort of thing happen, and it turned out a piece of the casting broke off inside the cylinder. Had to take it all apart and take out the broken piece. Then it worked ok since. The broken piece was a tab inside which retained the key when turned, forgot just how now, but the switch works ok now with no problems.
I hope that's not the case with mine.....
Jim

JimB in SoCal

Current Cars Owned: 1991 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce!!!!, 2012 Buick Verano
Previous Cars Owned: 1956 Chevy Sedan, 1969 Chevy Caprice Sedan, 1973 Chevy Caprice Sedan, 2000 Saturn S1 Sedan.
SpiderMan59 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 06:43 PM
Del
Senior Member
Gold Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: seattle
Posts: 15,348
Well, it was an easy fix, actually, but you do have to remove the switch from the column. that wasn't bad either. Just meant removing a soft metal screw which retained the switch in the column, by cutting a slot in the domed top and unscrewing it.
SpiderMan59 likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
Del is online now  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 11:57 PM
Registered User
 
spiderserie4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 7,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMan59 View Post
A couple of questions - is the lubricant mentioned above Tri-Flow?

I think my keys are the original ones....can I just go to a hardware store or locksmith to get copies cut from them?
yes.
yes, as long as they have the right sort of blanks (or you supply them blanks)

I had my original keys copied here at a shop, but not from Silca blanks, just something he had hanging up on the wall, and they fitted and worked but were notchy and sometimes stuck (maybe just bad work, few hardware stores care about the final refinish)

in the end I took some good digital photos of both sides of each key and emailed them off to keys4classics in Australia
QUALITY KEYS FOR Alfa Romeo Spider 1981-94

...I recieved perfect cut keys back, which worked as smooth as silk. They can decode the key from good photos...
NB: it is generally a good idea for anyone to take good photos of their keys (especially if they only have one set), both sides, and keep them on file.
Robertinwc and SpiderMan59 like this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
spiderserie4 is offline  
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Registered User
Platinum Subscriber
 
SpiderMan59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 28
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
yes.
yes, as long as they have the right sort of blanks (or you supply them blanks)

I had my original keys copied here at a shop, but not from Silca blanks, just something he had hanging up on the wall, and they fitted and worked but were notchy and sometimes stuck (maybe just bad work, few hardware stores care about the final refinish)

in the end I took some good digital photos of both sides of each key and emailed them off to keys4classics in Australia
QUALITY KEYS FOR Alfa Romeo Spider 1981-94

...I recieved perfect cut keys back, which worked as smooth as silk. They can decode the key from good photos...
NB: it is generally a good idea for anyone to take good photos of their keys (especially if they only have one set), both sides, and keep them on file.
Thanks very much for that valuable tip and link, Spiderserie4! I have not been able to get keys cut here (have tried Pep Boys, Home Depot, a local hardware store, and two nearby locksmiths - nobody has the correct/compatible blanks), so I will take pics of mine and email them to keys4classics. I picked up the Tri-Flow a couple of days ago as well.

Thanks (Danke!),
Jim

JimB in SoCal

Current Cars Owned: 1991 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce!!!!, 2012 Buick Verano
Previous Cars Owned: 1956 Chevy Sedan, 1969 Chevy Caprice Sedan, 1973 Chevy Caprice Sedan, 2000 Saturn S1 Sedan.
SpiderMan59 is offline  
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 06:32 PM
Del
Senior Member
Gold Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: seattle
Posts: 15,348
I was pleased with the service I got from keys4classics when they found keys for the Alfa 164 roof rack.
SpiderMan59 likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
Del is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome