trunion arm shims - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

trunion arm shims

Because of the extended period of time it has taken me to rebuild the rear supension on the AR spider (1989) I am uncertain if I removed one or two shims between the body and the t-arm bushings. The reason being I only have one shim in my parts box bin and somewhat recall one one each side . When I replaced the T-arm today it appeared to be tight with one shim. If there is only one shim which side should it go on?. On a side note: the bushings for the rear sway bay upper end link do not press on to the sway bar but merely slide on unlike the origionals, or where the old ones fused on/rusted.

You might be wondering about why it took so long to rebuild the rear suspension - I will give a brief synopsis:

1. Remove everything / order parts.

2. Parts come in two weeks later minus "washers" between t-arm and bushing carrier. I was told everything was in stock. From all the vendors orderd from.

3. Washers come in four days later. From a different supplier.

4. Take it all to a machine shop to press everything in. Machinest brakes the bushing carrier on the t- arm.

5. Source a t-arm from APE wait 4 days.

6. Arrive at machine shop to notice that the bushings are pressed on without the washers. Bushings were tore up upon removal, order new ones, wait two weeks.

7. Pick up parts to install and can not remember if there is one shim on each side or only a shim on one side.

On the lighter side if you remember my old post "transmission or boat anchor" my daughter has returned from Italy without a first gear or a "purse"
for me but came home with a really nice belt that doesn't fit.

Bob Teske
1989 spider black and tan
1980 fiat spider black and tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Osso,

I guess I am a bit confused as to the function of the T-arm, I was thinking it had an influence in the alignment of the transaxle but in looking at it with those large conicle washers and rubber end bushings I am not sure how it could. The alignment would certainly be taken care of by the trailing arms not the T-arm. Because of the minimal distance btween the bushing carrier and the body on the passenger side, I am going with the one shim on the drivers side and start putting everything back together.

Bob
Sweating it out in Arizona
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 10:16 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Bob,

The shims are only used on an as needed basis, not all cars have them When I took the T arm off my car, there were no shims. After replacing the bushings, there was a slight gap. I elected to just install it without any shims. I may have a couple of shims that I pulled off a parts car. I'm not sure of the thickness, though. If you need one, I'll be happy to supply it.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 04:06 AM
Darth Moderator
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Hi Guys

Those shims stop the reaction trunion from moving sideways, this is where that distinctive 105 rear end "wiggle" comes from. The trailing arms & their bushes keep the diff square to the rest of the car.

The good news is that you don't actually have to strip the bushes off the reaction trunion, (T arm) to fit them. Just get a sheet of good quality nylon & cut several discs from it, then cut a slot in the discs like a "C" shape, where the mouth of the C is just smaller than the hole in the middle of the disc which is the same size as the shafts on the sides of the of the trunion - a little silicone spray & they will pop into place.

The gaps needs to be shimmed until it is closed, but not forced. Each car is different.

Sorry Bob ?

Cheers
Greig
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 07:14 AM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

I recall reading, although I can't find it now, that the body to T-arm shims are used to center the diff assembly in the body so that the vehicle won't 'dog track' down the road. For the 1750 cars, 7 different shims in thicknesses from 1.5 to 4.0mm in 0.5mm increments were used.

The pic is of the shimming Greig talked about; T-arm side play (or clearance) as opposed to T-arm centering. The body shim is the un-numbered triangle shaped thing on the right.
Attached Images

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 05:42 PM

Nylon shim material?

I'm just starting to tackle the back-end steering of my GTV 1750; like many, my shims are gone.

Any thoughts on where to buy nylon sheet stock? For some reason when I asked the folks at Home Depot where the Alfa trunnion bushing stock material was they drew a blank...

Thanks very much.

Scott
69 Spider 1750, 71 GTV 1750, 76 Spider 2000, 67 Mini Cooper S
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 06:40 PM

Thumbs up try this

go to yuor local rubber supply house, they should have sheets of 1/4 inch, poly sheets. i got a sheet for $2.00 from a store here in sacramento, i still have the sheet left. i can cut 2 shims for you, no problem, and the poly is easter to shim then the nylon, the poly is realy flexable , and easy to instale, the nylon is kind of stiff to work with.if you want them just send me an self address stamped envelope, will get out the same day.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 07:09 PM

Red face bob..

just send me your adrress, and i will send you 2 shims...the self adrress was jusst a joke, sorry, i hav e6 sets of shims i made out of poly a few months ago, east to ame, so i made a lot of them,...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode