86 spider no power to fuel pump relay - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

86 spider no power to fuel pump relay

Verified the relay if good by jumping 12v across it and hearing the circuit closing. Then put multimeter on wires in the relay socket, and we don't see any volts to the green/black and white/black wires. Tried with key it on accessory position and while cranking.

The engine will turn over, all lights work on the car. Plugs spark. Pump doesn't pump. Any ideas why we're not seeing power to the relay socket? Fuses all look good under the dash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 10:58 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

First verify you have 12V at pin 30 of the fuel pump relay socket (red wire). If you do not, that wire should have an 8A fuse that is likely blown.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

OK, got 12v on the red wire on that socket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 02:22 PM

Garage
I had this mystery once. There is a sensor on the transmission that if not rotating, will shut power to the fuel pumps. The sensor is easy to replace. Figuring that out required a miracle!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 04:21 PM

The fuel pump relay gets power directly from the battery via the smaller red wire off the battery terminal. There is an inline fuse near the relay. That fuse could be bad and the fuse holder itself could be bad.
Attached Images

alfabeach likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 04:42 PM

Saw your reply to gubi that you have power to terminal 30. Have you checked that you are getting 12 volts to terminal 15 when key is to accessory (on) and 12 volts to terminal 50 when key is in start position? Also have you checked the grounds on the bolt to the aux air device? Those are the grounds for the fuel ECU.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:14 PM

Garage
The crank sensors will not have anything to do with power to the pumps, I don't use them at all,Or the ECU for the ignition, I have a flame thrower disty...Its a fuse or cut wire....

rob

Rob S,Cur,84 Spider,,91 164l,Prev 01 XK8,77 spider,87 Milano,91 164L ,81 Spider,81 380SL,63 BJ8 Healey, 76 Spider,79 Spider,90 quad spider.348 Ferrari spider.Harleys
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:50 AM

Garage
Sounds like the infamous bullet fuse/holder shown in photo (white object , mine was red).Had similar problem , changed it out with modern spade fuse holder , not a problem since.

1988 Spider Graduate (Sofia)
'06 Ford Explorer
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:31 AM

The fuse holder in my photo had not failed yet but it was close. If you look closely, the one connector is out further than the other. The fuse holder had got hot allowing the plastic to deform and the internal spring was pushing the one end out. I also replaced mine with a spade fuse holder.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 04:05 PM

Hi,
This is my first time in the forum, and I'm in dire need of help.

My Alfa Spider 1988 won’t start.
In-tank fuel pump not getting power.
I connected In-tank fuel pump to 12V battery, and pump runs, but car won’t start.
Now checking the fuel pump relay (Bosch 0280 230 001). Can anyone tell me what pins 1, 15, 31, and 50 do and connect to?

Thanks

Jorge
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 06:18 PM

Garage
Jorge, I just had the same symptoms TONITE!. Did you check the 8A fuse and holder that is under the package shelf, near the control unit? It's often in a white fuse holder. Mine had melted and the connector had shorted against the metal framing. Replaced the fuse holder and fuse, and all is working again.
As for the pins on the relay, check the electrical drawings for the '88 Spider. They are available from the main menu. My '82 Spider diagram may not be the same as yours.

coopp
'82 Spider
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpena View Post
Hi,

Now checking the fuel pump relay (Bosch 0280 230 001). Can anyone tell me what pins 1, 15, 31, and 50 do and connect to?
connections from one of Jim's 1988 spider wiring diagrams show:

1 white/black to LT negative of coil
15 green/black to pin #86 of main relay (smaller of the two back there) and another green/black, via G121 connection (behind glovebox) then to Ign ECU terminal # 10
31 to pin #85 of main relay
50 grey/green via G121 to Ign. ECU terminal #4

what I would do is remove relay, then jumper the fuel relay plug at pins# 30 and #87, that bypasses the relay and the pumps (both) would run if they and the wiring (inc. fuse holder) are good.
If they do run, suspect the relay.

send a PM to Papajam giving your email and exact model type, he will send you a great coloured diagram for your model
ghnl likes this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 10-17-2018 at 02:35 AM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 09:57 AM

I had to put a jumper in to get power to the relay in my '82

there is a wire that runs from the fuze panel (powered by the ignition fuze # 7 I think) to a junction (G121) behind the dash and branches then head to the ECUs under the back package shelf. its a green/black wire I memory serves.

1/2 the junction goes to the Ignition ECU the other half the Fuel ECU I found the Fuel ECU wasn't getting the 12v it needed to tell it to turn on. I think that side of the junction has a short.

you can jumper the relays power wire (#87) to the injection ECU wire and the 12v will tell the ECU to turn on and send fuel to the motor.

I think I found the instruction / trouble shooting on an old post in this forum but you basically have to unplug the Ignition ECU and make sure you are getting the 12v to all the pins on the connector. the #10 pin in particular. I tried to attach the trouble shooting checklist that helped me end my nightmare.

I ended up having to jumper both wire coming from the G121 junction to the Ignition ECU #10 and #4 on the Ignition ECU. everything works great now
Attached Images

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 02:47 PM

1988 Spider Veloce Fuel pump relay

Thanks spiderserie4 and John

I jumped pin 30 and 87. Both pumps run, and the car started momentarily, but quickly died off. I tried this several times and the problem persist.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Papajam, do you have a wiring diagram for my 1988 Spider Veloce, Especially the fuel pump relay?

Thanks

Jorge
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 05:05 PM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Yes, Jorge. I have the diagram. Please send me a private message with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode