Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Spider - 105 & 115 Series (1966-1994) (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/)
-   -   Could someone post front grill close-ups? (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/577009-could-someone-post-front-grill-close-ups.html)

bruce1976spider 03-31-2017 12:13 PM

Could someone post front grill close-ups?
 
I'm looking specifically for a low-angle shot of a mid-70's U.S. solid bumper, showing how the front grill was supposed to look (though I'd love split-bumper European-style front end shots - just to drool over...) Internet searches have not given me a clear close look...

OB's work on my 1976 left only mounting holes - and no sign of a bumper badge??

I think I can re-create the original look with some guiding images... or closer at least. Right now, from the front, people have asked "kind of car is that?"

sbadaro 03-31-2017 11:42 PM

Well if you opt to throw out the awful US bumpers, here is my 'what not to do to a spider' euro bumpers and grill
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...861820aa4f.jpg
Here's how it was without the bumpers before local brain surgeon fixing front ding decided he likes her with a more rounded 'pontoon' look... correct grill will stay in the box till the next restoration and paint job.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b923bace45.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...56024ecce0.jpg
The proper front should look like this
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3dc5a97805.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

bruce1976spider 04-01-2017 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbadaro (Post 7543505)
Well if you opt to throw out the awful US bumpers, here is my 'what not to do to a spider' euro bumpers and grill [...]

Wow. I now love my OB much more - thanks! :)

Euro-bumpers look so much better than the U.S. mandated 'solid bar' of the time... In the end I may do the mod, especially since what's there now isn't original equipment.

bruce1976spider 04-01-2017 06:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's where I am starting from:

sbadaro 04-01-2017 06:45 AM

Hmm... makes my battered old girl look good... if your DMV allows it I say go Euro... no brainer really. Good luck.

gregeast 04-01-2017 08:06 AM

While I wholeheartedly endorse swapping to chrome bumpers, Conedriver and others have done some nice improvements to the rubber bumpers by cutting out a space for the Alfa heart.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/atta...1&d=1185037720

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...d-bumpers.html

conedriver 04-01-2017 11:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
See below for my the split front bumper I did many years ago. The grille is the 1971-74 style and I used the same part when I finally did the full stainless bumper conversion in 2003 to accompany bodywork and new paint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregeast (Post 7543826)
While I wholeheartedly endorse swapping to chrome bumpers, Conedriver and others have done some nice improvements to the rubber bumpers by cutting out a space for the Alfa heart....


jclark 04-03-2017 05:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bruce1976spider (Post 7542569)
I'm looking specifically for a low-angle shot of a mid-70's U.S. solid bumper, showing how the front grill was supposed to look (though I'd love split-bumper European-style front end shots - just to drool over...) Internet searches have not given me a clear close look...

OB's work on my 1976 left only mounting holes - and no sign of a bumper badge??

I think I can re-create the original look with some guiding images... or closer at least. Right now, from the front, people have asked "kind of car is that?"

Here's an 82 - last of the solid bumpers.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/atta...s-p7020007.jpg

spiderserie4 04-04-2017 02:10 AM

some shots of an 81 from this good conversion thread that might help....
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...onversion.html

bruce1976spider 04-04-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderserie4 (Post 7549857)
some shots of an 81 from this good conversion thread that might help....
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...onversion.html

Thanks! - that thread is really helpful...

I think my lower scoop has been pushed in, from viewing other photos of scoops - it was just so symmetrically dented that I couldn't tell!

So I learned something!

bruce1976spider 04-04-2017 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I dug through my photos, did some enlargement, and yup, the center of my scoop is clearly bent. Well, bumper-off would be a great time to fix that...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002-2011 AlfaBB.com All Rights Reserved.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome