89 Spider Starter Problem - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:47 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
I took the liberty of merging two of your similar threads. I hope this doesn't make it too confusing but I thought it might help to get all the replies in one place. Might be a good idea to go back and read through the whole thread to be sure you get everybody's input.
spiderserie4 likes this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 03:45 AM

Tach question for don

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
While cranking your car, does your tach needle move or does it stay seated?

If tach doesn't move, your crank position sensor may be disconnected or bad. Given that you just did the starter, look for the two connections for the two sensors. There are two 3 wire plugs and sockets located just forward of the washer fluid tank (basically, just above the starter). The two connections are detailed in the L-jet troubleshooting guide.

Your car does not have to start to check these things.
Don, can the car (s3) run with a bad crank position sensor? My car runs but I have never gotten my Tach to work. Not even a substitute Tach. Could this be my problem?

87 spider grad, 06 audi cab, 12 prius, 79 bellanca viking
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsteve View Post
My car runs but I have never gotten my Tach to work. Not even a substitute Tach. Could this be my problem?
of the 2 white wires on the coil negative, the thinner white is for the tach....maybe check this connection at coil.

this white leads to the 'white' 6-wire connector block behind the dash, then on to the large 8-wire red connector block inside the monopod.

It is not too difficult to get inside the monopod, then you could maybe test continuancy of said wire from this connector block back to coil.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode