LED Tail Light Replacement Bulb - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
LED Tail Light Replacement Bulb

It's been a few years since anyone commented on LED tail light replacement.

I bought this red tail light pair from Amazon for $13 with free Prime shipping: https://goo.gl/djppSS
This is the title to search for in case the link goes stale: "LUYED 2 x 650 Lumens Super Bright 1157 3014 54-EX Chipsets 1157 2057 2357 7528 LED Bulbs Used For Tail Lights,Brake Lights and Turn Signal Lights,Red"

They plugged in and worked very well on my 74 Spider. Much brighter than the incandescent ones and of course at a lower wattage.

FYI, The first set of bulbs I bought on Ebay did not work for those of you that may try that approach.

The picture below shows new bulb on the right.
Attached Images

adamreed31, nunki and Kantarjiev like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 05:20 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Excellent. Anything that might deter people from tailgating our Spiders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihart View Post
It's been a few years since anyone commented on LED tail light replacement.

I bought this red tail light pair from Amazon for $13 with free Prime shipping: https://goo.gl/djppSS
This is the title to search for in case the link goes stale: "LUYED 2 x 650 Lumens Super Bright 1157 3014 54-EX Chipsets 1157 2057 2357 7528 LED Bulbs Used For Tail Lights,Brake Lights and Turn Signal Lights,Red"

They plugged in and worked very well on my 74 Spider. Much brighter than the incandescent ones and of course at a lower wattage.

FYI, The first set of bulbs I bought on Ebay did not work for those of you that may try that approach.

The picture below shows new bulb on the right.
alfaloco likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 07:49 AM

So do your signals flash at the correct rate or faster? The higher resistance/lower current flow of some LED's causes the flasher relay to "think" there is a burnt out bulb. Also do your lights look red? I've seen some that are so bright they make the tail lights look pink.

Paul - 1972 Spider - (2)1991 164S's - 1983 308 - 2001 Discovery - 1997 F350

Last edited by kcabpilot; 12-05-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 09:38 AM

Garage
I bought an electronic flasher relay so I could use led bulbs. Trouble is now if one turn light is not working they still flash at correct rate. I had a ground corroded on front right. The only thing to watch out for is buying a bulb to big to put in housing hole. In my car everything is 1156 blub
Attached Images

Richard
76 Alfetta GTV gone to rust haven, 89 Spider the red graduate, 86 GTV6 on wish list

Last edited by alfabeach; 06-01-2018 at 11:38 AM.
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabpilot View Post
So do your signals flash at the correct rate or faster? The higher resistance/lower current flow of some LED's causes the flasher relay to "think" there is a burnt out bulb. Also do your lights look red? I've seen some that are so bright they make the tail lights look pink.
Hi Paul,
The flashing rate is the same as before. The red tail marker light and (brighter) red tail brake light look red to my eyes.

They are much brighter than stock and should increase visibility.

FYI, for those that have not changed these bulbs, there are no tools needed. Open the trunk and hand loosen the 4 protruding screws. The plastic lenses will come off the back end if gently tugged on.
alfabeach likes this.
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Hi Paul,
The flashing rate is the same as before. The red tail marker light and (brighter) red tail brake light look red to my eyes.

They are much brighter than stock and should increase visibility.

FYI, for those that have not changed these bulbs, there are no tools needed. Open the trunk and hand loosen the 4 protruding screws. The plastic lenses will come off the back end if gently tugged on.
Thanks for this timely update. I've been mulling over switching to LEDs on my Spider for some time and that bulb looks great. (Just put two LEDs in my other car's courtesy/map fixture and am delighted with the results.)

However, you mention tail/stop-brake lights, not turn signals, and tail/stop-brake lights don't flash.

An S2's rear bulbs, at least based on my memory, go from left (driver's side) to right (passenger side) as:
  • Left cluster turn signal
  • Left cluster tail/break light
  • Left cluster reverse/backup
  • Right cluster reverse/backup
  • Right cluster tail/brake
  • Right cluster turn signal

Did you do all four of the bulbs under the red lenses? That is, both the tail/brake and turn signal bulbs?

1974 Spider
Work gets in the way of my hobbies. Nothing takes just 5 minutes.
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Hi Paul,

They are much brighter than stock and should increase visibility...
Okay, the description on your bulbs says they are red. I tried some I got on Amazon that were white but they were too bright and also caused flasher to blink rapidly. I think I need red and amber LED's

Paul - 1972 Spider - (2)1991 164S's - 1983 308 - 2001 Discovery - 1997 F350
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 01:14 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Guys, I was just about to order these, but the bulb application guide in the stickies specifies 1156 bulbs for our cars. These indicate that they are 1157 (double filament) . which is the correct light for our cars?

Nick S.

1974 Spider
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntvnyer View Post
Guys, I was just about to order these, but the bulb application guide in the stickies specifies 1156 bulbs for our cars. These indicate that they are 1157 (double filament) . which is the correct light for our cars?

The Red 1157 is a stop/tail lamp with 2 staggered side pins and 2 filaments. That is what I replaced above with LEDs.

The 1156 is used for the turn signals. It is a single filament, single contact bulb. The final color is amber/orange colored.
I haven't tried replacing that yet. The same manufacturer makes this bulb below which includes load resistors to address the fast flashing issue. Let us know if someone tries them:
https://www.amazon.com/LUYED-Lumens-...4&sr=8-13&th=1
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 01:49 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thanks for posting this.

I placed an order today for 2 x Red LED Tail/Brake lights and 4 x Amber Turn Signal lights (front & back), I'll report back early next week on the result

Greg East
Loveland, CO USA
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'87 Porsche 944 turbo
'93 BMW 740i
post #11 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregeast View Post
Thanks for posting this.

I placed an order today for 2 x Red LED Tail/Brake lights and 4 x Amber Turn Signal lights (front & back), I'll report back early next week on the result
Earlier today I also ordered two of the red LED tail/brake bulbs.

I am very interested in your results with the amber bulbs, so please do report back.

Also, please check the heat thrown by these amber bulbs for which the seller states

Quote:
Low heat generation ensures a longer bulb life

1974 Spider
Work gets in the way of my hobbies. Nothing takes just 5 minutes.
post #12 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 03:15 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
As much as I love my car, I do feel like an early mammal scampering its way through a forest of SUV dinosaurs sometimes.

The more visibility the better I think...
alfabeach and alfaloco like this.

Greg East
Loveland, CO USA
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'87 Porsche 944 turbo
'93 BMW 740i
post #13 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 07:35 AM

Garage
Hi All,

There is another thread currently running regarding changing out bulbs in gauges. Dim gauge lights in 83 spider veloce. You may want to check that one out too. As for tail lights, the set that ihart bought should work well. You can get them even brighter, around 900 lumens, from amazon as well. The thing with LED's as far as color goes, you should buy the color for the lens you are using. A white LED with a red lens will wash out the color, as Kcabpilot suggests.

If anyone is interested, I also installed LED's in my parking lights for greater presence. I use them as daytime running lights as there are way too many aggressive/distracted drivers in Connecticut and if I'm going to get hit, I'd rather it be in my minivan than my Alfa. Check them out as well:

LUYED 2 X 1700 Lumens Extremely Bright 1156 4014 102-EX Chipsets 1156 1141 1003 7506 LED Bulbs,Xenon White(Brightest LED in market)

I put 600 lumen bulbs in the front turn signal lights and will also do the red and amber tail bulbs.
Attached Images

post #14 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 01:26 AM

Quote:
LUYED 2 X 1700 Lumens Extremely Bright 1156 4014 102-EX Chipsets 1156 1141 1003 7506 LED Bulbs,Xenon White(Brightest LED in market)
I can't find these on UK sites but came across similar looking ones. However one of the reviews said "gets very hot when on constantly, keep away from plastic" ! The reviewer as a result was using them only in the indicators so it wasn't a problem as they weren't on long enough to get hot. Do your side lights get hot?

My understanding of LEDs is that they should run cooler so I was a bit surprised.

Also, I can't remember if the bulb pins are 180 or 150 degrees offset?

Spider S4 1990 manual red LHD
Spider 916 V6 2002 Silver

Last edited by AngloSpider; 12-09-2016 at 01:32 AM.
post #15 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngloSpider View Post
I can't find these on UK sites but came across similar looking ones. However one of the reviews said "gets very hot when on constantly, keep away from plastic" ! The reviewer as a result was using them only in the indicators so it wasn't a problem as they weren't on long enough to get hot. Do your side lights get hot?

My understanding of LEDs is that they should run cooler so I was a bit surprised.

Also, I can't remember if the bulb pins are 180 or 150 degrees offset?
180 degrees. And LEDs *should* run cooler, except when they contain a resistor to activate a flasher relay. It would be better to buy ones without the resistor, and just get the electronic flasher relay. Or put your own resistor in-line, just away from the plastic lamp housing.
AngloSpider and BobG like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode