Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Spider - 105 & 115 Series (1966-1994) (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/)
-   -   LED Tail Light Replacement Bulb (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/553425-led-tail-light-replacement-bulb.html)

ihart 12-05-2016 04:59 AM

LED Tail Light Replacement Bulb

3 Attachment(s)
It's been a few years since anyone commented on LED tail light replacement.

I bought this red tail light pair from Amazon for $13 with free Prime shipping: https://goo.gl/djppSS
This is the title to search for in case the link goes stale: "LUYED 2 x 650 Lumens Super Bright 1157 3014 54-EX Chipsets 1157 2057 2357 7528 LED Bulbs Used For Tail Lights,Brake Lights and Turn Signal Lights,Red"

They plugged in and worked very well on my 74 Spider. Much brighter than the incandescent ones and of course at a lower wattage.

FYI, The first set of bulbs I bought on Ebay did not work for those of you that may try that approach.

The picture below shows new bulb on the right.

conedriver 12-05-2016 05:20 AM

Excellent. Anything that might deter people from tailgating our Spiders.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihart (Post 7338641)
It's been a few years since anyone commented on LED tail light replacement.

I bought this red tail light pair from Amazon for $13 with free Prime shipping: https://goo.gl/djppSS
This is the title to search for in case the link goes stale: "LUYED 2 x 650 Lumens Super Bright 1157 3014 54-EX Chipsets 1157 2057 2357 7528 LED Bulbs Used For Tail Lights,Brake Lights and Turn Signal Lights,Red"

They plugged in and worked very well on my 74 Spider. Much brighter than the incandescent ones and of course at a lower wattage.

FYI, The first set of bulbs I bought on Ebay did not work for those of you that may try that approach.

The picture below shows new bulb on the right.

kcabpilot 12-05-2016 07:49 AM

So do your signals flash at the correct rate or faster? The higher resistance/lower current flow of some LED's causes the flasher relay to "think" there is a burnt out bulb. Also do your lights look red? I've seen some that are so bright they make the tail lights look pink.

alfabeach 12-05-2016 09:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought an electronic flasher relay so I could use led bulbs. Trouble is now if one turn light is not working they still flash at correct rate. I had a ground corroded on front right. The only thing to watch out for is buying a bulb to big to put in housing hole. In my car everything is 1156 blub

ihart 12-05-2016 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcabpilot (Post 7339041)
So do your signals flash at the correct rate or faster? The higher resistance/lower current flow of some LED's causes the flasher relay to "think" there is a burnt out bulb. Also do your lights look red? I've seen some that are so bright they make the tail lights look pink.

Hi Paul,
The flashing rate is the same as before. The red tail marker light and (brighter) red tail brake light look red to my eyes.

They are much brighter than stock and should increase visibility.

FYI, for those that have not changed these bulbs, there are no tools needed. Open the trunk and hand loosen the 4 protruding screws. The plastic lenses will come off the back end if gently tugged on.

BobG 12-05-2016 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihart (Post 7339345)
Hi Paul,
The flashing rate is the same as before. The red tail marker light and (brighter) red tail brake light look red to my eyes.

They are much brighter than stock and should increase visibility.

FYI, for those that have not changed these bulbs, there are no tools needed. Open the trunk and hand loosen the 4 protruding screws. The plastic lenses will come off the back end if gently tugged on.

Thanks for this timely update. I've been mulling over switching to LEDs on my Spider for some time and that bulb looks great. (Just put two LEDs in my other car's courtesy/map fixture and am delighted with the results.)

However, you mention tail/stop-brake lights, not turn signals, and tail/stop-brake lights don't flash.

An S2's rear bulbs, at least based on my memory, go from left (driver's side) to right (passenger side) as:
  • Left cluster turn signal
  • Left cluster tail/break light
  • Left cluster reverse/backup
  • Right cluster reverse/backup
  • Right cluster tail/brake
  • Right cluster turn signal

Did you do all four of the bulbs under the red lenses? That is, both the tail/brake and turn signal bulbs?

kcabpilot 12-05-2016 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihart (Post 7339345)
Hi Paul,

They are much brighter than stock and should increase visibility...

Okay, the description on your bulbs says they are red. I tried some I got on Amazon that were white but they were too bright and also caused flasher to blink rapidly. I think I need red and amber LED's

ntvnyer 12-06-2016 01:14 PM

Guys, I was just about to order these, but the bulb application guide in the stickies specifies 1156 bulbs for our cars. These indicate that they are 1157 (double filament) . which is the correct light for our cars?

ihart 12-06-2016 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntvnyer (Post 7341689)
Guys, I was just about to order these, but the bulb application guide in the stickies specifies 1156 bulbs for our cars. These indicate that they are 1157 (double filament) . which is the correct light for our cars?

The Red 1157 is a stop/tail lamp with 2 staggered side pins and 2 filaments. That is what I replaced above with LEDs.

The 1156 is used for the turn signals. It is a single filament, single contact bulb. The final color is amber/orange colored.
I haven't tried replacing that yet. The same manufacturer makes this bulb below which includes load resistors to address the fast flashing issue. Let us know if someone tries them:
https://www.amazon.com/LUYED-Lumens-...4&sr=8-13&th=1

gregeast 12-06-2016 01:49 PM

Thanks for posting this.

I placed an order today for 2 x Red LED Tail/Brake lights and 4 x Amber Turn Signal lights (front & back), I'll report back early next week on the result

BobG 12-06-2016 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregeast (Post 7341753)
Thanks for posting this.

I placed an order today for 2 x Red LED Tail/Brake lights and 4 x Amber Turn Signal lights (front & back), I'll report back early next week on the result

Earlier today I also ordered two of the red LED tail/brake bulbs.

I am very interested in your results with the amber bulbs, so please do report back.

Also, please check the heat thrown by these amber bulbs for which the seller states

Quote:

Low heat generation ensures a longer bulb life

gregeast 12-06-2016 03:15 PM

As much as I love my car, I do feel like an early mammal scampering its way through a forest of SUV dinosaurs sometimes.

The more visibility the better I think...

Sfizio 12-07-2016 07:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

There is another thread currently running regarding changing out bulbs in gauges. Dim gauge lights in 83 spider veloce. You may want to check that one out too. As for tail lights, the set that ihart bought should work well. You can get them even brighter, around 900 lumens, from amazon as well. The thing with LED's as far as color goes, you should buy the color for the lens you are using. A white LED with a red lens will wash out the color, as Kcabpilot suggests.

If anyone is interested, I also installed LED's in my parking lights for greater presence. I use them as daytime running lights as there are way too many aggressive/distracted drivers in Connecticut and if I'm going to get hit, I'd rather it be in my minivan than my Alfa. Check them out as well:

LUYED 2 X 1700 Lumens Extremely Bright 1156 4014 102-EX Chipsets 1156 1141 1003 7506 LED Bulbs,Xenon White(Brightest LED in market)

I put 600 lumen bulbs in the front turn signal lights and will also do the red and amber tail bulbs.

AngloSpider 12-09-2016 01:26 AM

Quote:

LUYED 2 X 1700 Lumens Extremely Bright 1156 4014 102-EX Chipsets 1156 1141 1003 7506 LED Bulbs,Xenon White(Brightest LED in market)
I can't find these on UK sites but came across similar looking ones. However one of the reviews said "gets very hot when on constantly, keep away from plastic" ! The reviewer as a result was using them only in the indicators so it wasn't a problem as they weren't on long enough to get hot. Do your side lights get hot?

My understanding of LEDs is that they should run cooler so I was a bit surprised.

Also, I can't remember if the bulb pins are 180 or 150 degrees offset?

nemesis 12-09-2016 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngloSpider (Post 7346529)
I can't find these on UK sites but came across similar looking ones. However one of the reviews said "gets very hot when on constantly, keep away from plastic" ! The reviewer as a result was using them only in the indicators so it wasn't a problem as they weren't on long enough to get hot. Do your side lights get hot?

My understanding of LEDs is that they should run cooler so I was a bit surprised.

Also, I can't remember if the bulb pins are 180 or 150 degrees offset?

180 degrees. And LEDs *should* run cooler, except when they contain a resistor to activate a flasher relay. It would be better to buy ones without the resistor, and just get the electronic flasher relay. Or put your own resistor in-line, just away from the plastic lamp housing.