LED Tail Light Replacement Bulb - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 11:47 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1976spider View Post
...the flasher draws so little current on "E" that you must use an LED, oriented correctly (+) side to the flasher, (-) to the dash indicator, in place of an incandescent lamp.
I used a 10mA green LED in my indicator lamp holder, and it lights nicely.
What happens if you retain the conventional, incandescent bulb in the dash indicator with the CF13 JL-2 flasher? It doesn't light?

Also, will the CF13 JL-2 flasher support a mix of LED bulbs at the rear and incandescents at the front (or vice versa)? Or are you saying that all bulbs (including the indicator) need to be LED?

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 11:54 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
What happens if you retain the conventional, incandescent bulb in the dash indicator with the CF13 JL-2 flasher? It doesn't light?

Also, will the CF13 JL-2 flasher support a mix of LED bulbs at the rear and incandescents at the front (or vice versa)? Or are you saying that all bulbs (including the indicator) need to be LED?
1) Correct - you won't see a blink from the dash, but the flasher will work. It's pretty easy to substitute an LED for the incandescent indicator bulb though. You might get it wrong (+ to -) but no harm, just reverse it. BTW the unit won't flash if the indicator LED is backwards!!

2) The CF13 JL-02 works from 0.02 Amps up to 20 Amps, so a mix of LED's and incandescent lamps is fine.

Below is my indicator rig: I used a cut bit of a plastic tie wrap as a center divider, and trimmed the LED legs. That's the whole process!
Attached Images

50 years from now - how are we going to restore a "classic" microprocessor based modern car?? Alfas - 1980 Spider, 1987 Milano, 1976 Spider

Last edited by bruce1976spider; 06-01-2018 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Add photos & explain
post #78 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Do you have one of papajamma's circuit schematics for your Spider?
I do! But to say that my wiring harness has been modified would be putting it mildly. I currently have a two-pin flasher, for starters. So I will have to spend some time figuring out how the current setup is meant to work, or how to put things back to the original way. It appears that one terminal is hot (red) and the other has three wires (at least) of differing colors.

How does that dash indicator come out? From the front or the back? I've never pulled one of the little jeweled indicators, and have several that need work...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Below is my indicator rig: I used a cut bit of a plastic tie wrap as a center divider, and trimmed the LED legs. That's the whole process!
OK, thanks for the quick reply on mixing LED and incandescent bulbs.

So you can just plug a small LED into the bulb holder, and that's it. No need for a current-limiting resistor, as in most LED circuits? I guess the current limiting is in the flasher.

---------------------

I would like to have brighter brake lights on my Duetto, but am less concerned with brighter tail and turn signal lights (I seldom drive the Duetto after dark and no one pays attention to turn signals here anyways).

Since the Duetto groups the brake and tail lights on a dual-filament, 1157 bulb, while the turn signal is by itself on a single-filament 1156, a short cut would be to just swap the 1157's for LED bulbs. That way, you don't get into adding resistors in parallel with the LED exterior bulbs, or substituting an LED for the indicator bulb.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 06-01-2018 at 01:30 PM.
post #80 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:40 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
... So you can just plug a small LED into the bulb holder, and that's it. No need for a current-limiting resistor, as in most LED circuits? I guess the current limiting is in the flasher.
Exactly right. The operating current seen on the "E" connection of the CF13 JL-02 during a flash goes up to about 10 mA, enough to light an LED. But not enough to light an incandescent bulb.

What I liked is that I really don't need to make any permanent alterations, just plug the CF13 JL-02 in and swap in an LED for a indicator bulb. And it works even if you still use non-LED turn signal bulbs.

50 years from now - how are we going to restore a "classic" microprocessor based modern car?? Alfas - 1980 Spider, 1987 Milano, 1976 Spider
post #81 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
just plug the CF13 JL-02 in and swap in an LED for a indicator bulb. And it works even if you still use non-LED turn signal bulbs.
Right. When you retain the mechanical flasher, it can be tricky to arrive at the right resistor value to put in parallel with the LED's to achieve the proper current. Too much/little and the flash rate is too high/low (or is it too low/high?).

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode