LED Tail Light Replacement Bulb - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 09:05 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
EQUIVALENT LEDs run cooler than their incandescent counterparts but that's not what we're talking about here. Stock bulb is 21w which puts out ~120 lumens. An equivalent LED would be only 1 or 2 watts, so 10 or 20 times cooler. But here we're talking about putting in a 1750 lumen bulb - 15 times brighter (I agree it's good to be seen, but holy crap!). I didn't see a wattage for that lamp but I think it'll be around 20w - same as the original more or less. LEDs concentrate their heat in a smaller area so they can have heat dissipation problems. If you get LED bulbs for your home they'll often have big finned heatsinks on them to take care of this problem but these little automotive bulbs don't have that so yeah, they're gonna get hot.

I would think a 650 lumen LED would be more than sufficient (5 times brighter than stock) and not give you the heat problems of these eyeball burning 1750 or 2500 lumen bulbs. Putting a 1750 or 2500 lumen headlight bulb in would be illegal in most states. I'm not sure what the laws are on tail and turn signal brightness.

I ride bicycles a lot and get into a similar discussion about bikes. Yes, you really need to be seen for safety but I don't personally think blinding drivers is the answer (the answer to this I usually get in the bicycle community is "screw those cagers" - I reckon I might get similar comments about SUV drivers here).
AngloSpider likes this.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Last edited by GV27; 12-09-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I would think a 650 lumen LED would be more than sufficient (5 times brighter than stock) and not give you the heat problems of these eyeball burning 1750 or 2500 lumen bulbs. Putting a 1750 or 2500 lumen headlight bulb in would be illegal in most states. I'm not sure what the laws are on tail and turn signal brightness.
I was thinking along the same lines. I like the idea of putting bright bulbs into the side lights and using them as daytime running lamps. I get very frustrated, though, by cars with overbright rear lights, particularly when queuing at my local level crossing for 10 minutes with the guy in front using his foot brake (and therefore brake lights) instead of the parking brake.
I think the overbright bulbs at the rear would probably be illegal over here but there isn't much chance of the police doing anything about it.

Spider S4 1990 manual red LHD
Spider 916 V6 2002 Silver
post #18 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 10:13 AM
BMX

Karl (on the AOC forum) is a LED expert and he's not keen on them being used in cars as they are very directional - he convinced me it was much better to make sure the connections are good, keep your reflectors clean and shiny and use standard bulbs, I fitted 20w "sidelight" bulbs and lined the reflectors on the sides and indicators with silver foil and they do shine pretty brightly - I would really like to fit a high level brake light but cant find any way of fitting one without it looking crass and ugly on my S2... any suggestions?

1975 Spider S2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 11:52 AM

Garage
The problem with an S2 is that there is absolutely nothing that could be considered "high" on the rear end of them. But maybe a little LED strip light on a tiny stalk coming up from the trim around the top? You can get some very compact LED systems that are quite bright. These guys have (perhaps literally) a million options: https://www.superbrightleds.com

edit: Brainstorming this a little. My first thought was a led strip right below the trunk lid. That would get it centered but still below the bumper height of a lot of SUVs. But you could make it fairly wide and I'm sure you could find a simple Instructables project for making it animated to catch attention. And didn't US S4s come with a trunk-lid mounted "pod" for a high mount? Like the one in this picture:

alfaloco and GioGTVTS like this.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Last edited by GV27; 12-09-2016 at 12:16 PM.
post #20 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
EQUIVALENT LEDs run cooler than their incandescent counterparts but that's not what we're talking about here.
The assumption I was making was that the LED lamps would be brighter by some factor, but overall the overall power consumption would be lower. I was not even thinking about equivalent power consumption LED replacements. The idea of putting in bulbs that are 10x brighter than stock doesn't make any sense to me at all. 3-5x? Sure, seems reasonable. 10-15x? No way.

Quote:

I ride bicycles a lot and get into a similar discussion about bikes. Yes, you really need to be seen for safety but I don't personally think blinding drivers is the answer (the answer to this I usually get in the bicycle community is "screw those cagers" - I reckon I might get similar comments about SUV drivers here).
I don't know what the standard is here. I can't find a specific call out in the state law on-line. Plenty of stuff about headlights, but not too much about the other lights. And nothing at all about how bright they are.

Riding bikes is another story. I have commuted by bike in the past, and my idea was multiple steady and flashing red lights behind, one flashing white lamp on my helmet facing front, and two steady white lights on the handlebars to illuminate the road surface, one near, and one far. And never aimed up into car drivers' eyes. I rarely commute by bike any more, but I do appreaciate the folks who want to be seen. Contrasted to the fool the other day who was wearing dark clothes, had no reflectors at all installed anywhere on his bike, and was saved from being crushed under my wheels by the fact that his tires had some reflective logo, and his shoelaces were white.
post #21 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 12:19 PM

Garage
A bike ninja!

On a bike I've always liked lights in the wheels and reflectors on the pedals or shoes. Relying on motion (make the driver say "WTH is THAT?" from a distance) rather than brightness. I decorated my bike with LED Christmas lights in the winter when I used to commute by bike and I think that got more attention than anything. Not bright but a weird lighted up thing that got people's attention. Mostly though I just stuck to back streets and kept my head on a swivel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
The assumption I was making was that the LED lamps would be brighter by some factor, but overall the overall power consumption would be lower. I was not even thinking about equivalent power consumption LED replacements. The idea of putting in bulbs that are 10x brighter than stock doesn't make any sense to me at all. 3-5x? Sure, seems reasonable. 10-15x? No way.
Yeah, that's the way to do it. Get a little brighter (or a lot, just not crazy!) with a lot less power consumption. I think people just get carried away when they see the possibilities for going super bright using existing wiring and sockets.
nemesis likes this.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Last edited by GV27; 12-09-2016 at 12:23 PM.
post #22 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 12:39 PM

Garage
I am using an older style led blubs the yellow is equal to 2 to 5 watt (9 led) and white 15-20 watt (19 led). Everybody comments they are brighter than stock. Shown with lens off.
Attached Images

AngloSpider likes this.

Richard
76 Alfetta GTV gone to rust haven, 89 Spider the red graduate, 86 GTV6 on wish list

Last edited by alfabeach; 12-11-2016 at 03:14 PM.
post #23 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 01:13 AM
BMX

Quote:
The problem with an S2 is that there is absolutely nothing that could be considered "high" on the rear end of them. But maybe a little LED strip light on a tiny stalk coming up from the trim around the top? You can get some very compact LED systems that are quite bright. These guys have (perhaps literally) a million options: https://www.superbrightleds.com

edit: Brainstorming this a little. My first thought was a led strip right below the trunk lid. That would get it centered but still below the bumper height of a lot of SUVs. But you could make it fairly wide and I'm sure you could find a simple Instructables project for making it animated to catch attention. And didn't US S4s come with a trunk-lid mounted "pod" for a high mount? Like the one in this picture:

Thanks GV

1975 Spider S2
post #24 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 01:32 PM

I've tried the bulbs with LEDs only pointing forwards, like those in post #22 by alfabeach.

Because they only shine outwards, you don't get much multiplier or spreading factor from the reflector, and you end up with a very bright, but tiny, dot in the centre of the light unit. Better to buy bulbs with LEDs all around, as shown in earlier posts.
post #25 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihart View Post
I bought this red tail light pair from Amazon for $13 with free Prime shipping: https://goo.gl/djppSS This is the title to search for in case the link goes stale: "LUYED 2 x 650 Lumens Super Bright 1157 3014 54-EX Chipsets 1157 2057 2357 7528 LED Bulbs Used For Tail Lights,Brake Lights and Turn Signal Lights,Red"
Today I finally had the time to install these bulbs which I too ordered from Amazon based on ihart's recommendation.

All I can say is Wow!

The improvement in brightness is dramatic, as others have said and shown in pictures. These 650 Lumen bulbs make my 74 Spider's tail lights look like those of a modern car.

For others who plan to do this swap, once you have the light assembly open you should:
  • Clean the ground wire connectors, washers if present, and nuts
  • Clean the tail light reflectors and the red lenses
alfabeach, alfaloco, ihart and 1 others like this.

1974 Spider
Work gets in the way of my hobbies. Nothing takes just 5 minutes.
post #26 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 09:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
Today I finally had the time to install these bulbs which I too ordered from Amazon based on ihart's recommendation.

All I can say is Wow!

The improvement in brightness is dramatic, as others have said and shown in pictures. These 650 Lumen bulbs make my 74 Spider's tail lights look like those of a modern car.

For others who plan to do this swap, once you have the light assembly open you should:
I painted the reflectors on our sons's GTV 6 using Spaz Stix (yep-- that's the name!!) chrome aluminum spray paint, available at most hobby stores. Google it and you'll see many modelers like the bright finish to replicate polished aircraft aluminum. Makes a ton of difference in reflectivity.
alfabeach likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #27 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 02:22 AM

Hi,
Will these lights work on a Series 1 Roundtail Spider ?

Thanks
post #28 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by valvo0 View Post
Hi,
Yes. The Series 1 also uses the 1157 bulb for a tail/brake light.
post #29 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 06:53 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post

All I can say is Wow!

I would like to see some pictures taken at night. Would that be possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valvo0 View Post
Hi,

Thanks
I tried some on my roundtail and found them to be quite dim.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #30 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
I tried some on my roundtail and found them to be quite dim.
Did you try these exact LED 1157 tail lights discussed in this thread or some other LED tail lights?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode