Yes it IS a disease but I am getting better! - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Smile Yes it IS a disease but I am getting better!

At least this time the outbreak seems to be rust-free, major accident free, and running!
Did not pay a lot but did spend money intended for something else.

Needs a serious tune-up, new tires, and some electrical work.
Minor paint touch-up and my gold Ronal basket-weave wheels should have it at least looking very good.
Wheels on on now are some sort of 14" Campy but I do not know the model, anyone recognize them?
Value?
Interior is pretty good, top appears to be recent, and I have a fiberglass top to put on it for the winter.

If the &@^^# SPICA does not get the engine much more lively after the tune-up it's getting changed to Webers.
A previous owner already removed the dead-weight of the cat, so saving me the effort.

Not planning to get carried away with this one, want to DRIVE it.
Do have a set of "Yellow" springs for it, not sure how they differ from stock.

Twin-Cam Hemi, Webers, Headers, Overdrive, Disc brakes, and no emissions equipment to spoil it all. These are gonna be FUN rides!

Last edited by Richard/SIA; 12-04-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard/SIA View Post
Wheels on on now are some sort of 14" Campy but I do not know the model, anyone recognize them?
Value?
here:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...hey-worth.html

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So the wheels may be original to the car as it is a '79.
Somewhat rare in the U.S. but not particularly valuable.
Probably cannot get a good weight on them with the tire still on.

Twin-Cam Hemi, Webers, Headers, Overdrive, Disc brakes, and no emissions equipment to spoil it all. These are gonna be FUN rides!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 06:04 PM

Ronal made similar rims for the german car world in the 80's. Sorta ugly by US standards, as we were enamored with basket weaves. 15" BBS on a 320i or 325i= drool. European guys liked those disk rims a lot more, it seems...

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
May have burned myself again.

Got it home today, barely.
Never had an Alfa run so poorly before.
Pulled plugs and they are velvet black despite appearing to be very recently installed.
Spica, so no easy adjustment.

Have to shift slow, hoping some fresh oil may help, maybe some use too.
Car has clearly been sitting so lots of fluids to change.

Not easy to hook up the tune-up center with the battery in the trunk.

I will try to get a base-line on it and work with the Spica.
But it the Spica has real issues it's coming off.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 12:59 AM

Garage
Quote:

Pulled plugs and they are velvet black despite appearing to be very recently installed.

Hi mate just a word of encouragement. It's not full of rust, it runs, the support network for these cars is enormous, and most importantly, you're prepared to work on it. Good luck with it she looks pretty good...........Regards John
alfaloco and MBevans like this.

Current cars 1975 spyder under resto, 1973 Berlina Resto 1976 Berlina parts car 1972 GTjunior fully restored, 1 complete rolling shell spyder.exit 1989 75 T/S sold
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 01:04 AM

Garage
Quote:

Hi mate just a word of encouragement. It's not full of rust, it runs, the support network for these cars is enormous, and most importantly, you're prepared to work on it. Good luck with it she looks pretty good...........Regards John

P.S. Not a lot in the way of SPICA injected Alfas here in Aus.
Lots of Webbers though.

Current cars 1975 spyder under resto, 1973 Berlina Resto 1976 Berlina parts car 1972 GTjunior fully restored, 1 complete rolling shell spyder.exit 1989 75 T/S sold
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Some update, set of Lodge plugs are like aspirin, feeling (running) much better.

Some one must have really liked this car at one time as it's body has been repaired and repainted, although not to the highest standard.
The cloth top cannot be original but also looks fairly recent.
Interior is pretty fair, some conditioner should restore the leather as it's a little dry but not gone hard and the seams are still good.

Still trying to track down why the turn indicator is ALWAYS on, even if the key is not.
Need to go to Kinko's and get the wiring diagram printed in a large format for legibility.
Bad flasher can?
Signals do work.

Spica appears to be working fairly well, need to check the rest of the tune as the old plugs were velvet black.

Of course I just HAD to find out where the other end of the vacuum hoses that came loose belongs.
I only find ONE vacuum port on the radiator end of the intake manifold and no other vacuum devices, so no idea why there were two hoses.

Had to pull the air-box for a better look and access to the vacuum port, now the head-ache is back!
Two air-box to spica hose clamps missing.
Unless '79 is very different than a '78 it seems some items have been removed that should not have been.
I believe that the firewall mounted plastic cylinder with wires at the bottom and a button at the top is the fuel shutoff in case of a crash?
Missing and replaced with a relay.
Original fender mounted fuel filter for the Spica, gone, seems small metal filters were added to the hoses instead.
Should be able to use the one from the '78 as with Webers it's not really needed there.

Spica assembly is dirty externally, just annoys me, so I guess the car goes outside for the engine compartment to be cleaned.

At least the gold basket-weave style Ronal wheels I put on look very sharp with the black paint.

A note on the old wheels, even with tires on I can easily tell that they are lighter than the Ronal wheels.
Since they are somewhat vintage 6J which I believe means 6" wide I may have a use for them on my Dio Tipo kit car project.
They do resemble racing wheels I have seen that are claimed to help exhaust air from under the car.
alfabeach and alfaloco like this.

Last edited by Richard/SIA; 12-23-2016 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Typio.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got to drive around the block checking out the Spider.
Seems slower than my much older cars were, excess weight?
Brakes are poor so slow may be a safety factor.
Looks like brake work before tires!

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
If Lucas electrics are "The prince of darkness'', what does that make Alfa electrics, King?
If this car was Lucas I would have all the gauges and heater working already!
I did get the turn signal indicator always on issue taken care of, bad or incorrect flasher can.

Dead gauges are not too impressive for a car that does appear to have only about 45600 miles as indicated.
I'm basing that on the fact that the pedal covers are like new, the leather seats are excellent with no tears or bad seams.
Even the carpets and door cards are good.
The top is also excellent and is cloth.
The original wheels had Pirelli tires on them

I have power to the senders but no response at the oil and temp gauges.
Gas gauge does work, no blown fuses.
Traced the heater switch wires, switch is working but the blower motor is not.
Ground wire could scarcely have been mounted to a more awkward location but does seem to be grounded.
Of course the heater motor is mounted in the most inaccessible location and manner possible, with LOTS of shaped rubber hoses attached.
I know this car sat unused for a while, indicated by the low mileage and tire damage.
Hoping the heater motor may just be a bit stuck and could possibly be freed with a well directed blast of compressed air.
If so, where would I aim the air from?

Other notes on this car.
It apparently had an exhaust air pump fitted originally, someone thoughtfully removed that for me and filed it appropriately.
Engine compartment was pretty oily, does not seem right for low mileage.
I note that the original hose to the oil vapor separator has been replaced with a piece of heater hose that kinked and was poorly attached.

Also notice that the brake rotors are a bit more scored than I would expect for low mileage, have to work on the brakes as they are not very good.
Hoping it's just a need to bleed them.

Engine seems to run fairly well but it's certainly not snappy like my old 1300 and 1600 were.
Tube exhaust with a heat riser that is supposed to cross over the engine.
Of course the flimsy plastic retainers on the cam covers are broken.

Lots more work to do, really hoping the heater can be fixed without having to tear it apart.
This was supposed to be a Driver as bought!

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 02:33 AM

Factory One Way Check Valves in Fuel Lines

Quote:

Original fender mounted fuel filter for the Spica, gone, seems small metal filters were added to the hoses instead.
I have the same "metal filters" in my very stock (so far) '77. When getting the TA from Wes Ingram I asked what these were and this was his reply:

"They are factory one way check valves. The early Alfas, 69 through 74 ran on leaded fuel and did not need the check valves. The 75 through 81 cars ran on unleaded fuel and premature plunger wear became a problem. The lead and sulfides in unleaded fuel protected the (very precise) plungers and barrels in the pump. The oil companies began using additives so once we replace all the worn plungers the pumps are good for another life cycle, As the plungers begin to wear and if you parked your Alfa facing downhill where the gas tank is above the injection pump, gas can over time fill the engine with gas. The check valves were nothing more than a circumvention for the above condition, but they did not address the wearing plunger and barrel phenomenon."

Info was very helpful to me hope it is to you as well.

Darren

1977 Canary Yellow 2000 Spider Veloce (23K Original)
1984 Spider Veloce (Sold 1998), 1972 Datsun 240Z
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The SPICA is on very thin ice!
Seems to be running VERY rich.
Fresh plugs and the Spider runs almost decent.
Come back later after the plugs have cooled and it barely runs at all.
Pull plugs and they are velvet black.

I'm going through the SPICA diagnoses list.
Looks like my next task is a test-fake thermal actuator.
Have to look some more, so far I have not found a price on a replacement actuator.
But I have found mention that they are expensive.
May be looking for a manual version soon.
Trying to keep this car pretty much stock if it will let me.

Fixed the oil pressure gauge, need the SPICA working right to set idle properly and find out what my idle pressure really is.

Odd note of the night, seems the linkage bottoms on the engine mount at full throttle!
Never heard of that before but should be an easy fix with a burr and air-grinder.

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 06:54 AM
Platinum Subscriber

With the engine warm, look at the throttle arm on the rear of the injection pump. Is there a large gap between the arm and the reference screw? If so, it's likely the T/A is bad.

Replacement T/A's are $250, if the capillary tube is not broken.

Ingram Enterprises, Inc. || Price List

You can make a dummy T/A for testing purposes out of a 1/4" bolt, some washers and two nuts. See the Spica guide for details.

Throttle linkage hitting the motor mount?? Post a pic of that. Something's way off.

I think you probably need to do a readjustment of the system from start to finish. No telling how badly the previous owner maladjusted it. Let me know if you want to use the relay crank setting jig.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Last edited by Roadtrip; 03-07-2017 at 07:04 AM.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 03:34 PM

Replacement TA

Something indeed is way off with that throttle linkage hitting the motor mount. I would hold off on the grinder until you sort out why it is hitting - it should not be.

Contact Wes Inram at the address given by Roadtrip. I had the same velvety black plugs when I first got my '77. I put in a TA from Ingram and followed the instructions in his manual and the car starts and runs very well. Also, when I pull the plugs, they look brown as they should.

Wes is also a wealth of information and if you e-mail him he will answer you and is very helpful.

Good luck.

1977 Canary Yellow 2000 Spider Veloce (23K Original)
1984 Spider Veloce (Sold 1998), 1972 Datsun 240Z
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
27.3 mm extended warm.
Should be 29 mm.

At this rate I will never get my new tires.
Or the project '70 I found.

Tags
campy, ronal, spica, spider, webers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode