Trunk Cable! - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Trunk Cable!

This morning I decided to connect the trickle charger on my 89 Spider, pop the trunk latch and ****! It let go! Now how do I open that trunk? Please help!

87 & 89 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farina View Post
This morning I decided to connect the trickle charger on my 89 Spider, pop the trunk latch and ****! It let go! Now how do I open that trunk? Please help!
Step 1 would be to remove the plastic panel with the trunk and gas levers and see if the cable let go from the lever end or the latch end. If it's at the lever end you just lucked out, and should be able to grab it with a set of pliers to pop the trunk.

If it broke or came loose at the latch end you've got a bigger problem on your hands...

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
1974 Spider restoration project
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I've got a bigger problem on my hands! The cable is connected just fine at the door jamb release.

87 & 89 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 08:12 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Small access hole under latch?

I have personally not verified this on my Series 3, and I cannot vouch if it is true for all years, but the post in the following link indicates that there is a 1/2" diameter access hole, directly under the trunk latch, that will allow you to thread a long screwdriver or hook up from below to release the latch mechanism:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...tml#post149419

I have also heard that some Spider owners remove the rear license plate and drill a small hole in the sheet metal behind it to gain access to the latch mechanism.

Edward
'88 Quad - "Claudia"

Last edited by Norseman50; 11-01-2016 at 09:13 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman50 View Post
I have personally not verified this on my Series 3, and I cannot vouch if it is true for all years, but the post in the following link indicates that there is a 1/2" diameter access hole, directly under the trunk latch, that will allow you to thread a long screwdriver or hook up from below to release the latch mechanism:

I have also heard that some Spider owners remove the rear license mounting plate and drill a small hole in the sheet metal behind it to gain access to the latch mechanism.
My '74 S2 has that 1/2" access hole.

If your '89 has that access hole, let us know whether you can release the latch with a screwdriver or other tool.

Good luck!

1974 Spider
Work gets in the way of my hobbies. Nothing takes just 5 minutes.

Last edited by BobG; 10-31-2016 at 10:35 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman50 View Post

I have also heard that some Spider owners remove the rear license mounting plate and drill a small hole in the sheet metal behind it to gain access to the latch mechanism.
I never found the hole in my euro S4

driling the hole method is outlined in post # 42 & 43 of that thread.
That method is useful ,because when it breaks again, you just remove the license plate and use it again (an 'emergency hole' if you will!)

...you know its is there but others don't...well apart from a few thousand BBers....but we're an honest bunch of guys...

and anyway your avatar shows two hungry dogs about the size of european bison!!!
Norseman50 and Alfaboutvegas like this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 10-31-2016 at 09:02 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 11:43 AM
Registered Member
Gold Subscriber

I've also read that you can lower the rear carpet and remove one of the two small sheet metal plates (2-4 screws) which gives you direct access to the trunk, and you reach in with a broomstick or equivalent to disengage the latch.

see pics here, and I suggest going from the passenger side (more space, no evap system parts in the way)
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...tallation.html

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio

Last edited by mcola; 10-31-2016 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added link
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcola View Post
I've also read that you can lower the rear carpet and remove one of the two small sheet metal plates (2-4 screws) which gives you direct access to the trunk, and you reach in with a broomstick or equivalent to disengage the latch.

see pics here, and I suggest going from the passenger side (more space, no evap system parts in the way)
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...tallation.html
nice idea, but I cant see that working on any spider with the rear carpet that covers the latch and is firmly clamped at the top by 4 big plastic rivets.......that rear carpet is difficult enough to get under when the trunk is open

maybe early spiders with rubber trunk mats are easier??

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 01:23 PM
Registered Member
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
nice idea, but I cant see that working on any spider with the rear carpet that covers the latch and is firmly clamped at the top by 4 big plastic rivets.......that rear carpet is difficult enough to get under when the trunk is open

maybe early spiders with rubber trunk mats are easier??
You are absolutely correct! Please disregard as this isn't a viable option for your '89.

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 02:24 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
My 82 doesn't have a hole in the back. Can someone provide a picture? When I rebuilt her I did put a piece of nylon string (strong stuff) as an emergency if this would happen.

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tomorrow, first thing, around 10 AM i'll be under there checking for the emergency hole! I hope it's there!

87 & 89 Spider
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 08:12 PM

Garage
My emergency trunk pull consists of a length of wire, which I stuck through a small hole I made in the gas filler rubber boot, ran along the inside edge of the rear panel and tied to the trunk latch lever. Formed a loop in the end to pull on when/if I need to use it.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 02:48 AM

when you get it open and it comes to renewing the trunk cable, it is wise to firmly tape the new one onto the end of the old one and pull it through......
BUT you will need to remove the carpet on the left inside the trunk as the cable sheath is secured to the inside of the fender with a metal tag (at least that is what my S4 has) somewhere near the fuel filler hose in there....you need to bend out that tag to loosen the grip on the cable sheath, or it won't pull through.

If the outer sheath is fine, then maybe easier would be just to feed the new inner cable through the old outer sheath.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 08:22 AM
Gold Subscriber

This happened to me on my '87 Quad.

I spent hours on my back with that hole but with no luck. You cant see anything other than you stuck a long screwdriver or whatever up that hole.

I ended up removing the license plate and drilling a hole. 15 minutes and I was in.

Here are a few pictures of the location and a tool that was posted if you wish.

Name:  alfa trunk latch.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  19.2 KB
Name:  IMG_3157.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  28.2 KB
Name:  IMG_3158.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  26.9 KB
Name:  tool.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  83.9 KB

Also good advice to tape the new cable to the old when pulling through to the latch and make an emergence cable for next time.

Now that this has happened do you have an emergency cable installed for the hood? You should.

Good luck,

Vin

1991 Spider Veloce - Red on Tan - Rosa Bionda
1987 Spider Quadrifoglio - Red on Grey - Rosa - Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Honey, this is the last thing I have to do, then I'm finished. It'll just be a minute.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The good news is: I got it open and it wasn't that bad.I see the last post that came in is almost exactly what I've done. I'll add my pictures when I figure out how. I'm not too swift on these on line things.

87 & 89 Spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode