Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Spider - 105 & 115 Series (1966-1994) (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/)
-   -   Trunk Cable! (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/545929-trunk-cable.html)

farina 10-31-2016 06:49 AM

Trunk Cable!

This morning I decided to connect the trickle charger on my 89 Spider, pop the trunk latch and ****! It let go! Now how do I open that trunk? Please help!

jarrington 10-31-2016 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farina (Post 7281129)
This morning I decided to connect the trickle charger on my 89 Spider, pop the trunk latch and ****! It let go! Now how do I open that trunk? Please help!

Step 1 would be to remove the plastic panel with the trunk and gas levers and see if the cable let go from the lever end or the latch end. If it's at the lever end you just lucked out, and should be able to grab it with a set of pliers to pop the trunk.

If it broke or came loose at the latch end you've got a bigger problem on your hands...

farina 10-31-2016 07:51 AM

I've got a bigger problem on my hands! The cable is connected just fine at the door jamb release.

Norseman50 10-31-2016 08:12 AM

Small access hole under latch?

I have personally not verified this on my Series 3, and I cannot vouch if it is true for all years, but the post in the following link indicates that there is a 1/2" diameter access hole, directly under the trunk latch, that will allow you to thread a long screwdriver or hook up from below to release the latch mechanism:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...tml#post149419

I have also heard that some Spider owners remove the rear license plate and drill a small hole in the sheet metal behind it to gain access to the latch mechanism.

BobG 10-31-2016 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norseman50 (Post 7281417)
I have personally not verified this on my Series 3, and I cannot vouch if it is true for all years, but the post in the following link indicates that there is a 1/2" diameter access hole, directly under the trunk latch, that will allow you to thread a long screwdriver or hook up from below to release the latch mechanism:

I have also heard that some Spider owners remove the rear license mounting plate and drill a small hole in the sheet metal behind it to gain access to the latch mechanism.

My '74 S2 has that 1/2" access hole.

If your '89 has that access hole, let us know whether you can release the latch with a screwdriver or other tool.

Good luck!

spiderserie4 10-31-2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norseman50 (Post 7281417)

I have also heard that some Spider owners remove the rear license mounting plate and drill a small hole in the sheet metal behind it to gain access to the latch mechanism.

I never found the hole in my euro S4

driling the hole method is outlined in post # 42 & 43 of that thread.
That method is useful ,because when it breaks again, you just remove the license plate and use it again (an 'emergency hole' if you will!)

...you know its is there but others don't...well apart from a few thousand BBers;)....but we're an honest bunch of guys...:grin2:

and anyway your avatar shows two hungry dogs about the size of european bison!!!

mcola 10-31-2016 11:43 AM

I've also read that you can lower the rear carpet and remove one of the two small sheet metal plates (2-4 screws) which gives you direct access to the trunk, and you reach in with a broomstick or equivalent to disengage the latch.

see pics here, and I suggest going from the passenger side (more space, no evap system parts in the way)
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...tallation.html

spiderserie4 10-31-2016 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcola (Post 7281809)
I've also read that you can lower the rear carpet and remove one of the two small sheet metal plates (2-4 screws) which gives you direct access to the trunk, and you reach in with a broomstick or equivalent to disengage the latch.

see pics here, and I suggest going from the passenger side (more space, no evap system parts in the way)
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...tallation.html

nice idea, but I cant see that working on any spider with the rear carpet that covers the latch and is firmly clamped at the top by 4 big plastic rivets.......that rear carpet is difficult enough to get under when the trunk is open;)

maybe early spiders with rubber trunk mats are easier??

mcola 10-31-2016 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderserie4 (Post 7282033)
nice idea, but I cant see that working on any spider with the rear carpet that covers the latch and is firmly clamped at the top by 4 big plastic rivets.......that rear carpet is difficult enough to get under when the trunk is open;)

maybe early spiders with rubber trunk mats are easier??

You are absolutely correct! Please disregard as this isn't a viable option for your '89.

alfasrule 10-31-2016 02:24 PM

My 82 doesn't have a hole in the back. Can someone provide a picture? When I rebuilt her I did put a piece of nylon string (strong stuff) as an emergency if this would happen.

farina 10-31-2016 05:26 PM

Tomorrow, first thing, around 10 AM i'll be under there checking for the emergency hole! I hope it's there!

alfaloco 10-31-2016 08:12 PM

126 Attachment(s)
My emergency trunk pull consists of a length of wire, which I stuck through a small hole I made in the gas filler rubber boot, ran along the inside edge of the rear panel and tied to the trunk latch lever. Formed a loop in the end to pull on when/if I need to use it.

spiderserie4 11-01-2016 02:48 AM

when you get it open and it comes to renewing the trunk cable, it is wise to firmly tape the new one onto the end of the old one and pull it through......
BUT you will need to remove the carpet on the left inside the trunk as the cable sheath is secured to the inside of the fender with a metal tag (at least that is what my S4 has) somewhere near the fuel filler hose in there....you need to bend out that tag to loosen the grip on the cable sheath, or it won't pull through.

If the outer sheath is fine, then maybe easier would be just to feed the new inner cable through the old outer sheath.

Vintre 11-01-2016 08:22 AM

4 Attachment(s)
This happened to me on my '87 Quad.

I spent hours on my back with that hole but with no luck. You cant see anything other than you stuck a long screwdriver or whatever up that hole.

I ended up removing the license plate and drilling a hole. 15 minutes and I was in.

Here are a few pictures of the location and a tool that was posted if you wish.

Attachment 1131465
Attachment 1131441
Attachment 1131449
Attachment 1131457

Also good advice to tape the new cable to the old when pulling through to the latch and make an emergence cable for next time.

Now that this has happened do you have an emergency cable installed for the hood? You should.

Good luck,

Vin

farina 11-01-2016 08:28 AM

The good news is: I got it open and it wasn't that bad.I see the last post that came in is almost exactly what I've done. I'll add my pictures when I figure out how. I'm not too swift on these on line things.