'84 Spider Steering Column Bolt Sizes ?? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

'84 Spider Steering Column Bolt Sizes ??

Fellow Spider Owners,

I have an '84 Spider that I have recently had the consoles and steering column apart in order to successfully chase wiring issues ( thanks to all of your wonderful input for sure !!!- I am a novice..could not have done it without you ) and am putting the upper and lower pieces of the steering column back together ...could anyone tell me the sizes of the bolts ( i think there are a total of 4 ) to save me a lot of time on trial and error ? The PO had it "tie wrapped " together- ( functional but not the most athetically pleasing !!-smile ) . Thanks in advance and you all have a great day out there driving your Spiders !!!

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 06:47 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

You mean the plastic 'clamshell' cover(s) that enclose the column, stalks and ignition switch?

If so, those would be phillips head screws.

I don't know the specific length right off, but the front ones are more or less 'normal' length (you know, the first length that would pop into your head when someone said 'it's a screw') while those at the back are noticably longer, and they do set down into the recesses so they are 'blind' when installed.

You can bench assemble to test without having to fart around crawling on the floorboards or leaning through the wheel to try different sizes.

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as hosted by

&
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Tifosi,

Yes I was refering to the clamshell . I assume these are metric diameter bolts/screws. Does anyone know if they are 10mm or 8 mm. diameter ? That whey I could just buy various lenghts to see what the best fit is. I could take it back apart but i used the PO "tie-wrap " method for now and would love to take the easy way out and be able to guess the right sizes in order to secure and cut off tie wrap without taking back apart again.

Again thanks in advance for input..

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 07:25 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Hold up a couple minutes. (ok, mabe 10 because I gotta get my cold outside clothes on)

I'll go pull mine out and take a picture.

Darren

as hosted by

&
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Well that didn't come out as clear as I'd hoped.

As you can see, the diameter isn't all that big. Pretty much just a conventional/normal diameter when you think 'screw'. (right around sheetrock screw diameter actually)

To get it just right, it's not beyond reason to take the top half of the clamshell with you to the hardware store (yes, I know you didn't want to take it apart, but hey, it's just zip ties), so you can actually try screws in the holes. (truth be told, I don't think there's a metric or SAE pitch to screws like that)

Oh, and on the length, if you can only get close, err to the shorter side onnaconna if you go too long there's a very real chance the screw will come out through the top.

*EDIT:

If you do find screws for it, be VERY careful when you assemble things as it's kinda easy to pinch the reostat wires (that knob on the left side) in the screw moulding stuff and pinch it to the point of shorting. Nothing like finding that out when the fuse keeps popping and evetually the column starts smoking. (no, really, I've done it and it sucks)

A quick whip of tape around them and the column will help.

Attached Images

Darren

as hosted by

&

Last edited by Tifosi; 02-05-2008 at 07:51 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 07:57 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Here's the Alfa part numbers. Why not just run down to your local Alfa Romeo dealer and buy some?

Oh, umm, never mind...

I'd do as Tifosi suggests - unzip-tie the two halfs and take them to your local hardware store and find some screws that fit.
Attached Images

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 08:16 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Oh cool, an actual set of part #'s LOL

Whoops, hang on a sec: the #'s you show are for a monopod setup (longer ignition switch barrel, making the clamshell different)

I wonder it that has any bearing in reality?

Darren

as hosted by

&

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode