Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Duetto windshield replacement

9K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  flandrian 
#1 ·
I see a batch of new Duetto windshields is available, in clear. Mine is all shot up from a gunfight long long ago. I'm fairly sure mine is original and is very pitted and has several holes. Wasn't planning on replacing it now, but maybe I should.

Some questions -

1. They came originally with clear? I'll go out and check, but I don't think there's any tint.

2. I assume a new rubber gasket is mandatory. I've lost track of who has good ones - any suggestions?

3. DIY or glass shop? Normally everything on these cars gets done by us owner-operators, and I assume a Safelite type glass shop is unfamiliar with old style windshields, but maybe not. I see even Osso had a shop install his. I could have the glass shipped directly to the shop if I knew they could do it well.

4. I see some very tiny Phillips screws in the stainless trim. Have you had issues with these stripping and/or finding replacements?

5. Do you need new clips around the glass?

Thanks -

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
1. They came originally with clear? I'll go out and check, but I don't think there's any tint.
Not sure of the answer. Tinted windshields have a pretty light tint - it isn't really visible unless you put a piece of paper behind the glass and really squint.

2. I assume a new rubber gasket is mandatory. I've lost track of who has good ones - any suggestions?
When I did this operation last year, I bought a new gasket, I think from Classic Alfa. Having a soft, pliable gasket makes it easier for the new glass to go in. Which translates into a lower likelihood of breakage.

3. DIY or glass shop? Normally everything on these cars gets done by us owner-operators, and I assume a Safelite type glass shop is unfamiliar with old style windshields, but maybe not. I see even Osso had a shop install his. I could have the glass shipped directly to the shop if I knew they could do it well.
I always trust a pro to handle glass. They don't charge that much and by the time you pay for the glass + shipping, it seems like cheap insurance. BUT you do need someone familiar with gasketed windshields. Most glass installers weren't born when the industry switched from gasketed to glue-in. I wouldn't trust chain installer like Safelite - ask a restoration shop or your car buddies who they use.

The Duetto windshield is a bit tricky to do with the dashboard in place. My installer has a good reputation, but even he said at first that the dash would need to come out so he could pull the rope downward. I said "really??", he studied the problem a little more, said he'd try it, but would get black sealant on the dash top as the rope pulled across the dash. He was right, but the sealant wiped off with no problem. My point is that an amateur might have problems here.

4. I see some very tiny Phillips screws in the stainless trim. Have you had issues with these stripping and/or finding replacements?
Those weren't a problem on my Duetto, but it has led a soft life here in California; not much rust.

5. Do you need new clips around the glass?
The clips that attach the sheetmetal above the wiper mechanism are wedged under the windshield gasket and tend to rust. You won't find out whether they are shot until the old glass comes out (most likely they are). New clips are cheap (Classic Alfa charges $3.36 apiece) - it makes sense to just replace them while you're in there. CA says you need seven and their p/n is GL016.

#3 ·
Thanks, Jay, very helpful!

So a shop it is. The issue right now is it's still minus suspension, up on stands. Not sure if they will come to my garage and work in there...?

We're a small city, so not much for custom shops to choose from. I've had nice work on two newer cars at this shop - I can at least ask and see what the reaction and confidence is.

Dashboard is a concern - I'd rather not.

Thanks for the source tips as well!

#4 ·
as you can be almost certain that there will be a little rust, dirt grime, damage etc under the rubber, that might need some treatment, what I do is remove the screen myself (cut the rubber, the thing basically falls out, if you break it big deal as you are replacing it!) then spend a day or two cleaning the area and only THEN do I get a screen professional to come around and put the new glass and seal in.

Because if they remove it, and underneath it is a bit rusty, then these guys simply will not do anything but throw in the new screen.

With new screens and rubber one should always use the special 'removable' sealant, dunno what it is called there, here we call it 'abtupfbar', sorta like a dab-it-off sealant.
https://www.amazon.de/Würth-Sabesto-Scheibendicht-Abtupfbar-schwarz/dp/B00E1HIQX6

#5 ·
I had bad luck some years ago with pebbles, rocks and something else that hit my windscrre on various occasions. In three years I had to replace the windscreen five (5)!!! times. Finding the windscreen was no problem, they are in stock with a supplier in the UK. I had the same shop replacing all of them, I was their best customer and they even sent me a card for X-Mas. Anyway, they never removed the dash, they just replaced the rubber seal every time and the small metal clips as above. As I recall, the original glass on mine was clear. I had it changed after almost 40 years due to the blaster from Italian and Scandinavian roads. The other four were hit and cracked by pebbles etc. Since the lst swap I have not faced any problems.

#7 ·
I paid and am glad I did. I figured it was cheap insurance to have someone do it. He was a real pro and had it done in no time. Get the new clips, you'll be glad you did because you will know they are brand new. Make sure they put a dab of urethane sealer on the pinch weld before you put the clips on. It's just a little extra detail that will help when you drive your car in the driving rain. The installer I used also put some urethane under the gasket, between the glass all of the way around.

The cars came with a clear windshield. I'm sure I'll lose points, but the one I had is tinted.......but I don't care. :)

I don't remember if I shared the pictures. Did I?

#12 ·
Hi
Is there anyone that has replaced the windscreen themselves? I need advice on how to get the lower stainless trim back into place.
George
George, I am pretty sure that I replaced my Duetto windshield about 30-35 years ago. I think that I was able to reuse the original gasket and clips too. I believe that the lower stainless trim piece was carefully laid on a couple sheets of newspaper over the cowl vent and while pressing down, it was slid toward the windshield perhaps capturing the clips; then the screws were installed. It probably helped that I was reusing the original 'preformed' gasket. Working with rubber, heat (sun or a heat source) and/ or soapy water tend to help.

My memory is very good; it's just short...

Mark

#10 · (Edited)
Who has Duetto windshields available?
ProSource Glass. The owner, Richard Tankel, posts here on the BB under username "prosourceglass". Good guy, good company - I've gotten a couple of Alfa windshields from him and have been pleased. Contact info:

ProSource Glass International
Tel:877-345-2800 US & Canada
978-975-5400
email:richardt@prosourceglassintl.com

#11 ·
Definitely new gasket. Hard enough to get the old window out without destroying the old one.

Duettos were all clear windshields.

Windshield gasket is a tough fit around the dash. Mine ended up with a rubber bump above the glove compartment. Try to be there when you get it done.

Robert

#14 ·
I'll be the contrarian here. Buy a new gasket as insurance but re-use the old one if you can because it fits correctly. Do the job yourself, the installation, once the properly prepared windshield and gasket are mated takes two people about ten to fifteen minutes using the rope trick. It is the preparation that takes hours. My guess is when the old gasket and windshield are removed you will find problems that you will want to address and that will take time, the windshield guy isn't going to want to wait while you sand and prep, at a minimum.

#17 ·
My old gasket was hard and cracked. No option but to buy a new one.
Same story with the windshield. Pitted and scratched. It needed to be replaced also.

Got the new gasket from Cicognani. Looks accurate and well made. We'll find out when the new clear windshield for Prosource arrives.

The original clips (11 total) are in good shape and I plan on re-using them.

Here's the reference photo for placing them properly:

Attachments

#18 ·
I'm looking to replace the cracked windshield on my 1969 Spider Roundtail.
I emailed with Richard Tankel at ProSource Glass. He said the next batch of windshields will come out in the fall and to reach out to him in September.

Both JN Phillips and Safelite do not have them either.

Does anyone know if any other Spider Roundtail windshields are available in the USA now?

#20 ·
I don’t know of any other source for a series 1 windshield.
I will say that mine fit well with the replacement gasket.
The glass was a little undersized (better than being too big) along the A-pillar at the top. I made a wedge out of plastic that was about 8 inches long and 1/4 wide at the top. It was needed to push the rubber gasket out to the frame. Otherwise, the gasket might have leaked. It still might.
I’m very happy with the way the gasket lays across the top of the dash. Flat all the way across.

Jeff

#21 ·
The glass was a little undersized (better than being too big) along the A-pillar at the top. I made a wedge out of plastic that was about 8 inches long and 1/4 wide at the top. It was needed to push the rubber gasket out to the frame
That's interesting. You wedged between the windshield frame and the "back" of the gasket? Or between glass and rubber?

#22 ·
Between the glass and the rubber.

I don’t remember offhand what windshield sealer we were using. But there’s a bead of sealant between the gasket and the windshield frame. And a bead between the gasket and the windshield.

The wedge is covered in that sealant between the windshield and the rubber gasket.

If it sounds like a mess. It was.

#24 · (Edited)
Hi,

I have 2 S1 spiders and just purchased glass for both of them. So far, I've had one installed.

Bought glass from Pro Source. Glass (2 windshields) came from Canada. Pro Source was very good but their shipping company totally gouged me to deliver the glass (2 windshields on a palette) to my paint shop claiming it was a residential address. Nothing I could do would resolve the problem. $400+ for shipping! That's more than the cost of 1 windshield....

Make sure you buy a new gasket. Remove the front valance and check the trim clips under the windshield gasket. (the valance rests on the lower part of the clip and the windshield trim piece clips into the upper part, which sits on top of the valance.) If the clips are rusty, replace them. The only time you can replace those clips as far as I can tell is when the glass is out. (Somebody correct me if this is not the case since I have some more I need to replace..) This is also a terrific time to replace the rubber gasket at the front edge of the valance. Use new screws and speed-nuts to reattach it.

Take pictures of EVERYTHING before you take it all apart, including the inside trim on the sides. I didn't get good pictures of the side trim but am fortunate enough to have another S1 spider to use as reference. (hint: the little tabs at the bottom of the side trim pieces go on top of the window gasket, not behind it.....)

Remove all of the little trim chrome/trim pieces on the sides, top and bottom of the windshield including the inside plastic pieces on the sides. (You do not need to remove the top inside plastic pieces or the visors but it might be safest to remove the visors.) Catalog the screws and replace them as needed. A little #0000 steel wool on the chrome trim will clean it up and remove the rust stains from the screw holes. Note: The very long inside trim screws holding th eplastic inside side pieces are not available anyplace so be very careful with them.

I had a local glass shop come out and install the glass. I have worked with them on other classics and knew they could do it. HOWEVER, make sure you fit the valance and trim strip under the windshield when the installer is done to make sure the bottom of the gasket is pushed up far enough. (an alternative would be to measure the space between, say, the hood lip and gasket in several places before glass replacement and then again after.) Since the new gasket may stick out a little farther than the old one, there may be an issue with the wiper spindle covers not clearing the lower windshield trim strip. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix that.

Reinstall all the trim. The lower windsheild trim piece will be difficult to reinstall with a new gasket, but it will go back in. Use new screws where appropriate. A large Ace hardware store usually has every Hillman screw made if you need replacements. I've been there dozens of times matching odd screws.

OK, that's it! Hope it helps!

#29 · (Edited)
Did you guys all get a clear from ProSource? I think Jay said clear.
No, the windshield I got from ProSource was green tint. As Hodgepodge wrote, the "green tint" is so subtle that you can't even notice it.

Hodgepodge said:
The only time you can replace those clips as far as I can tell is when the glass is out. (Somebody correct me if this is not the case since I have some more I need to replace..)
Yes, the only time you can replace those clips is when the glass and gasket are out.

otteud96 said:
the dash should be lowered in order to protect the top of it
Can you lower the dash without removing it? I'd think it would hang up on the steering column and heater. My glass installer did warn me that the rope he used to seat the glass would smear sealant on my dash top. And it did. But since the top is just vinyl, some adhesive remover took care of it with no ill effects.

#27 ·
I got whatever they have. I think the "green tint" is so subtle that youcan't even notice it but I'm pretty sure my piece was clear. Here is an image with the codes from the windshield I just installed. The FW335 is the international code for this particular windshield for the S1 spider.

Attachments

#30 ·
I purchased my Duetto's replacement windshield through Paul Spruell Alfa. He is primarily selling engine rebuild parts and parts for Alfa Romeo racing application; no longer selling windshields and trim, etc. However, I was able to locate this information on the windshield that was purchased in 1993, actually only 26 years ago. The new windshield is now old and has started to de-laminate around the edges. That is just one more reason that I will drive this old car and enjoy it on the road, not just look at it.

Clothing Crochet Outerwear Neck Shoulder

No apologies for the cool cell phone case reflection! ;-)

Mark

#32 ·
FYI, Here is the e-mail from Richard for anyone else that is looking for a Series 1 windshield now:

We show those on order Ira from FYG in the near future so we will get confirmation in the coming weeks. The eta is probably later in the Fall. I know they will be clear for $254. If interested I would contact us by Sept. I am now part of Mygrant Glass, the largest distributor of automotive glass in the USA.

Thanks,

Richard

ProSource Glass international
Toll Free 877-345-2800 US & Canada
978-975-5400
978-790-4657 Cell
Prosource Glass International

#33 ·
This thread seems to have gone dormant but since it exists I'll see if this resurrects the thread. There seems still not to be much availability of this glass… but I just received a duetto windshield sourced through Mygrant glass. It is from FYG (I had never heard of them) and is full tint. I've never seen a duetto windshield full tint but I think it will be fine. Anyone with experience on how well these FYG pieces fit?
Michael Williams
Carmichael, CA