Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Spider - 105 & 115 Series (1966-1994) (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/)
-   -   Duetto windshield replacement (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/544817-duetto-windshield-replacement.html)

Vivace 10-25-2016 04:25 PM

Duetto windshield replacement
 
I see a batch of new Duetto windshields is available, in clear. Mine is all shot up from a gunfight long long ago. I'm fairly sure mine is original and is very pitted and has several holes. Wasn't planning on replacing it now, but maybe I should.

Some questions -

1. They came originally with clear? I'll go out and check, but I don't think there's any tint.

2. I assume a new rubber gasket is mandatory. I've lost track of who has good ones - any suggestions?

3. DIY or glass shop? Normally everything on these cars gets done by us owner-operators, and I assume a Safelite type glass shop is unfamiliar with old style windshields, but maybe not. I see even Osso had a shop install his. I could have the glass shipped directly to the shop if I knew they could do it well.

4. I see some very tiny Phillips screws in the stainless trim. Have you had issues with these stripping and/or finding replacements?

5. Do you need new clips around the glass?

Thanks -

Alfajay 10-25-2016 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivace (Post 7271625)
1. They came originally with clear? I'll go out and check, but I don't think there's any tint.

Not sure of the answer. Tinted windshields have a pretty light tint - it isn't really visible unless you put a piece of paper behind the glass and really squint.

Quote:

2. I assume a new rubber gasket is mandatory. I've lost track of who has good ones - any suggestions?
When I did this operation last year, I bought a new gasket, I think from Classic Alfa. Having a soft, pliable gasket makes it easier for the new glass to go in. Which translates into a lower likelihood of breakage.

Quote:

3. DIY or glass shop? Normally everything on these cars gets done by us owner-operators, and I assume a Safelite type glass shop is unfamiliar with old style windshields, but maybe not. I see even Osso had a shop install his. I could have the glass shipped directly to the shop if I knew they could do it well.
I always trust a pro to handle glass. They don't charge that much and by the time you pay for the glass + shipping, it seems like cheap insurance. BUT you do need someone familiar with gasketed windshields. Most glass installers weren't born when the industry switched from gasketed to glue-in. I wouldn't trust chain installer like Safelite - ask a restoration shop or your car buddies who they use.

The Duetto windshield is a bit tricky to do with the dashboard in place. My installer has a good reputation, but even he said at first that the dash would need to come out so he could pull the rope downward. I said "really??", he studied the problem a little more, said he'd try it, but would get black sealant on the dash top as the rope pulled across the dash. He was right, but the sealant wiped off with no problem. My point is that an amateur might have problems here.

Quote:

4. I see some very tiny Phillips screws in the stainless trim. Have you had issues with these stripping and/or finding replacements?
Those weren't a problem on my Duetto, but it has led a soft life here in California; not much rust.

Quote:

5. Do you need new clips around the glass?
The clips that attach the sheetmetal above the wiper mechanism are wedged under the windshield gasket and tend to rust. You won't find out whether they are shot until the old glass comes out (most likely they are). New clips are cheap (Classic Alfa charges $3.36 apiece) - it makes sense to just replace them while you're in there. CA says you need seven and their p/n is GL016.

http://classicalfa.com/product_image..._78015_std.jpg

Vivace 10-25-2016 08:48 PM

Thanks, Jay, very helpful!

So a shop it is. The issue right now is it's still minus suspension, up on stands. Not sure if they will come to my garage and work in there...?

We're a small city, so not much for custom shops to choose from. I've had nice work on two newer cars at this shop - I can at least ask and see what the reaction and confidence is.

Dashboard is a concern - I'd rather not.

Thanks for the source tips as well!

spiderserie4 10-26-2016 12:38 AM

as you can be almost certain that there will be a little rust, dirt grime, damage etc under the rubber, that might need some treatment, what I do is remove the screen myself (cut the rubber, the thing basically falls out, if you break it big deal as you are replacing it!) then spend a day or two cleaning the area and only THEN do I get a screen professional to come around and put the new glass and seal in.

Because if they remove it, and underneath it is a bit rusty, then these guys simply will not do anything but throw in the new screen.

With new screens and rubber one should always use the special 'removable' sealant, dunno what it is called there, here we call it 'abtupfbar', sorta like a dab-it-off sealant.
https://www.amazon.de/W%C3%BCrth-Sab.../dp/B00E1HIQX6

Wille R. 10-26-2016 03:24 AM

I had bad luck some years ago with pebbles, rocks and something else that hit my windscrre on various occasions. In three years I had to replace the windscreen five (5)!!! times. Finding the windscreen was no problem, they are in stock with a supplier in the UK. I had the same shop replacing all of them, I was their best customer and they even sent me a card for X-Mas. Anyway, they never removed the dash, they just replaced the rubber seal every time and the small metal clips as above. As I recall, the original glass on mine was clear. I had it changed after almost 40 years due to the blaster from Italian and Scandinavian roads. The other four were hit and cracked by pebbles etc. Since the lst swap I have not faced any problems.

Vivace 10-26-2016 02:07 PM

Thanks everyone.

I will do some more homework here.

ossodiseppia 10-26-2016 04:54 PM

I paid and am glad I did. I figured it was cheap insurance to have someone do it. He was a real pro and had it done in no time. Get the new clips, you'll be glad you did because you will know they are brand new. Make sure they put a dab of urethane sealer on the pinch weld before you put the clips on. It's just a little extra detail that will help when you drive your car in the driving rain. The installer I used also put some urethane under the gasket, between the glass all of the way around.

The cars came with a clear windshield. I'm sure I'll lose points, but the one I had is tinted.......but I don't care. :-)

I don't remember if I shared the pictures. Did I?

dustygiulia 01-14-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivace (Post 7271625)
I see a batch of new Duetto windshields is available, in clear. Mine is all shot up from a gunfight long long ago. I'm fairly sure mine is original and is very pitted and has several holes. Wasn't planning on replacing it now, but maybe I should.

Some questions -

1. They came originally with clear? I'll go out and check, but I don't think there's any tint.

2. I assume a new rubber gasket is mandatory. I've lost track of who has good ones - any suggestions?

3. DIY or glass shop? Normally everything on these cars gets done by us owner-operators, and I assume a Safelite type glass shop is unfamiliar with old style windshields, but maybe not. I see even Osso had a shop install his. I could have the glass shipped directly to the shop if I knew they could do it well.

4. I see some very tiny Phillips screws in the stainless trim. Have you had issues with these stripping and/or finding replacements?

5. Do you need new clips around the glass?

Thanks -

Hi
Is there anyone that has replaced the windscreen themselves? I need advice on how to get the lower stainless trim back into place.
Thank you
George

velocewhippet 01-16-2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivace (Post 7271625)
I see a batch of new Duetto windshields is available, in clear.....
-

Who has Duetto windshields available?

I'm not finding one anywhere now that I need one. I'd prefer one in clear if possible.

Thanks, Jeff

Alfajay 01-16-2018 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by velocewhippet (Post 8017857)
Who has Duetto windshields available?

ProSource Glass. The owner, Richard Tankel, posts here on the BB under username "prosourceglass". Good guy, good company - I've gotten a couple of Alfa windshields from him and have been pleased. Contact info:

ProSource Glass International
Tel:877-345-2800 US & Canada
978-975-5400
email:[email protected]

60sRacer 01-20-2018 01:14 PM

Definitely new gasket. Hard enough to get the old window out without destroying the old one.

Duettos were all clear windshields.

Windshield gasket is a tough fit around the dash. Mine ended up with a rubber bump above the glove compartment. Try to be there when you get it done.

Robert

IRONBLOCK 01-21-2018 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustygiulia (Post 8013113)
Hi
Is there anyone that has replaced the windscreen themselves? I need advice on how to get the lower stainless trim back into place.
George

George, I am pretty sure that I replaced my Duetto windshield about 30-35 years ago. I think that I was able to reuse the original gasket and clips too. I believe that the lower stainless trim piece was carefully laid on a couple sheets of newspaper over the cowl vent and while pressing down, it was slid toward the windshield perhaps capturing the clips; then the screws were installed. It probably helped that I was reusing the original 'preformed' gasket. Working with rubber, heat (sun or a heat source) and/ or soapy water tend to help.

My memory is very good; it's just short...


Mark

ossodiseppia 01-21-2018 06:53 AM

There is always risk of breaking the windshield during removal and installation. Re-using the old gasket increases the chance of breakage. I watched and photographed the process and noted that the supple new gasket went on easily.

Getting a new gasket is a good investment and good insurance.

rogerspeed 01-21-2018 11:27 AM

I'll be the contrarian here. Buy a new gasket as insurance but re-use the old one if you can because it fits correctly. Do the job yourself, the installation, once the properly prepared windshield and gasket are mated takes two people about ten to fifteen minutes using the rope trick. It is the preparation that takes hours. My guess is when the old gasket and windshield are removed you will find problems that you will want to address and that will take time, the windshield guy isn't going to want to wait while you sand and prep, at a minimum.

otteud96 01-21-2018 12:36 PM

if you have the windshield out please use a new gasket. the reason is that it will have more flexability and allow an easier install. good luck


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002-2011 AlfaBB.com All Rights Reserved.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome