1 owner 1977 23k mile Canary yellow spider survivor, questions? - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 09:19 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
If the TA is bad. Send it to Ingram. He can rebuild it for a reasonable cost. Even today. Its less then Alfa wanted for a new one.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 09:30 PM

Congrats on the new acquisition! I love the Canary Yellow, but then again I'm biased.

I'd suggest ditching the factory SPICA manual. First go read the sticky threads here:
Carburetors, Fuel Injection & Air Intake - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Then order Wes Ingram's SPICA manual.

The factory manual is technically correct, obviously, but was written for factory trained techs with factory tools. And Alfa didn't really want people mucking with the SPICA system so it took people like Wes and Roadtrip to really unlock its secrets.

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
1974 Spider restoration project
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 12:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayes5 View Post
I ended up buying this car today and brought it home to Raleigh today from Maryland. She is now sitting in the garage next to her new friend, my 1972 240Z. What the heck, the more the merrier.

She is a beauty but does need a little TLC. Hope my suspicions are correct and after spending a little time reading up on SPICA tuning I can get her running really well. Right now it appears to be running very rich. I hope it is not the TA. But from what I am can tell troubleshooting and tuning the SPICA is a bit of a process -- but I like a challenge.

Tomorrow I will start to evaluate condition a little better. Will pull plugs to see how rich she is running and pray the TA is good.

Found the "INSTRUCTION AND MAINTENANCE MANUAL FOR ALFA ROMEO 2000
FUEL INJECTION MODELS" so reading all the step by steps for SPICA adjustment - very involved.

I know a lot of people throw Webers on these cars but I like the idea of getting the SPICA humming like new and keeping her original though the smog pump stuff will go - not hooked up anyway and very much looking lika a factory afterthought.
WOW!! Good work! Start a new thread of the progress with lots of pics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 02:53 AM

Thanks for the advice. I will need much but plan to scour the boards and the net before asking of course. 19 year memory of my 84 has faded and that car had Bosch so different animal.

So pulling the TA was my plan and wanting to do exactly what you said. I figured I would check at abmient then heat a pot of water to 175F and measure there to ensure that the length at both ends are correct. Also, in the guide I downloaded it mentioned exactly what you said, the start solenoid so will check that too.

Yes more than I wanted to pay and agree about the value of these cars but this car literally has 23,006 original miles. The interior is near flawless, and has original paint. I also really liked the story and this lady really loved this car. It was even undercoated so other than some road rash chips under the car, no rust whatsoever. I figured that alone was worth it. It starts immediately, just tries to asphyxiate you with fumes. To be honest, I have no idea what these cars are worth. The value people place on them are all over the map. I have seen dealers asking $19k for a similar car that of course they detailed. But I don't see them selling. I have seen one on E-bay for $3,400 that has been painted but the interior and top are not nearly in this condition not to mention they don't have 23,000 miles. But I am comfortable with it and I never plan to sell it so the value does not mean that much to me. I always say they are only worth what someone is willing to pay.

The the more I look at it I like the patina - will likely try to bring back a bit gently with McGuire's Mirror Glaze to start.

I was definitely thinking along the lines of pump/header/cam so thank you for that suggestion as well as I was really not sure about what cam(s) to use. She put a new exhaust on that I plan to leave but will likely get rid of the CAT as well. Will definitely box, label and store any removed parts in case someone needs in the future.

I figure I will start buy getting out my dwell meter (an ancient device) and timing light to ensure all the ignition is correct as well. Was thinking I would put a Pertronix igniter in to replace points but seems to run pretty smooth with the dual points so no urgency there though the Petronix was a real improvement for my Z and once in I have not had to touch for the last 15 years.

Of course, I will be going through all the systems one by one to ensure rubber is good etc. It's a hobby - no hurry. Probably won't drive it much until I am certain all is safe and sorted. But, I suspect I will find everything in much better shape that the 40 years would lead one to believe.

BTW, one of the PO's last comments to me was that she once had the car up to 140mph. Not that I have any desire what so ever to do this but no way these cars are that fast.

Last edited by dhayes5; 12-04-2016 at 03:04 AM.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 07:10 AM

The car's not that fast, but the speedo could definitely be that inaccurate.

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
1974 Spider restoration project
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 07:15 AM

Top speed with ALL variables was about 115. Get real!!!
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 08:54 AM

Well I have an even nicer 1972 240Z. It is faster than the Alfa but not that fast. The most I had it up to was 115 and that was terrifying as the front end got very light. And yes the speedo is very off. She had it tested in 1978 and at that time 20=20 but 70=82 so yeah - probably way off above 100mph.

I just did a patch of the paint with clay followed by McGuire's Mirror Glaze. Night and day difference. Think I will do the whole car then put a nice coat of Zymol on it.

Looks like there is a hairline crack in the exhaust manifold - now I won't feel bad about adding that header .

I think I will be ordering that Wes Ingram SPICA manual too -- thanks for the suggestion Jarrington. And yes I like the yellow as well. My last spider was red.

Thank you all for the great comments. I will be starting a new thread for this car and will be greatful for the advice. Maybe I will post a photo of my old '84 on it as well.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 08:57 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Top speed with ALL variables was about 115.
With 0 to 100 in about 1 minute.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 05:10 PM

I know I need to start another thread - just need to do it but for now.............

So, I contacted Wes Ingram and sounded like he could turn around TA in about a week. Pulled the TA this evening and pin is not protruding at all. I put it in boiling water (just because I could not resist) and the pin went out to 3.28mm -- I would say this should be my culprit as far as rich running. There are also fouled Champion spark plugs (RN9YC). I remember always running the Lodge plugs in my '84 but maybe it does not matter.

One other thing I noticed was that where the TA tube was in contact with the fuel injection tubes, the fuel injection tubes have corrosion from the dissimilar metals reacting. Will clean this and try to keep the two from contacting when reinstalling. I also noticed that there is a gasket on the end of the TA that goes in the pump and a plastic o-ring where it goes in the manifold. Are these still available? Will ask Wes this as well.

So, will send the TA off for a rebuild then put it back in and see if I cannot get her running somewhat optimally. Plan to also buy the SPICA book from Wes as well as the FCS lock nut tool from Centerline.

While I am waiting to get the TA back, I may remove the air pump and plug the manifold with some brass plugs. Will definitely improve access to front of Engine. One thing though, it will leave two studs protruding from the head. Are there plugs available to allow removal of these so that the engine looks like the older ones without the pump?

Will start new post with photos.
PSk likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode