MAY DAY, MAY DAY! Insurance says my car is not a alfa romeo quadrifoglio?? - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Removed side panels and a few other things on the console, as i was doing some maintenace. Windows not going up and down quickly, center console was taken off, to fix heater core. So i guess thats why the say removed digital clock. Told that to the original adjuster. I can show that i have everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

They had originally said they would give me 8900.00 then about a week ago verbally said 9700, then i told them about the hardtop being standard on the quadrifoglio, beacause it was not shown on be original estimate. Then they said i had a veloce and now ok you have a quad and this is what we are offering. I shot myself in the foot i guess trying to mess with the corporate institutions.
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 06:05 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Did they go look at the car they compared it to? You might want to take a look at it and see if its actually better then yours.

I never insure anything I own with a insurance company that has State or Farm in the company name.

This is based on personal experience.
Susan and John533i like this.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
Did they go look at the car they compared it to? You might want to take a look at it and see if its actually better then yours.

I never insure anything I own with a insurance company that has State or Farm in the company name.

This is based on personal experience.
You my friend, are one step ahead of the game. Who do you insure with. I really dont know why i just dont cancel my policy. Hell, they are most assuridly going to drop me anyways. And when they are not like a good neighbor, giving you the screw.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 07:36 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I did Alfas at an independent shop for 10 years in the late 80's. I've had plenty of dealings with insurance company's. The worst were State Farm and Farm Bureau.

I'm with USAA because my father was in the army. If you have a parent or grandparent that was in the military and is still alive and honorably discharge. They can still get on with USAA.

But for my antique and classic wooden boats and vintage Alfas. I use Hagerty's. Yes. There are restrictions but your getting insurance for what its worth.

Don't cancel your insurance until the check clears the bank.

As I suggested check out the other car. It not be as nice as its represented. Where real pictures might make a car look good. Internet pictures will make the same car look spectacular.
Susan likes this.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I did Alfas at an independent shop for 10 years in the late 80's. I've had plenty of dealings with insurance company's. The worst were State Farm and Farm Bureau.

I'm with USAA because my father was in the army. If you have a parent or grandparent that was in the military and is still alive and honorably discharge. They can still get on with USAA.

But for my antique and classic wooden boats and vintage Alfas. I use Hagerty's. Yes. There are restrictions but your getting insurance for what its worth.

Don't cancel your insurance until the check clears the bank.

As I suggested check out the other car. It not be as nice as its represented. Where real pictures might make a car look good. Internet pictures will make the same car look spectacular.
Yeah, i like that. I need to ask for there assesment. And get info on the car they used to assess my car. Good idea. I will ask for a link and pics of the car they used. My girls mom works there. My girls has access to there insurance. Actually has her home owners insurance with them.

Last edited by Chizel; 10-07-2016 at 07:52 PM.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Well they say there is no pictures. Blah, blah, blah. He says there is a arbitrary clause in texas. If i dont agree with the price. So now if i want to go that route, i have to pay for a appraiser. Then state farm gets one. Then if both appraisers dont agree with the price, a third appraiser needs to come in. State farm pays for half and i pay for half. This is turning into a nitemare. What should i do? Walk away with what they are going to give me?

Last edited by Chizel; 10-08-2016 at 03:54 PM.
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Well your only argument is the company they hired report is faulty. Kinda hard to compare apples to apples when there not next to each other.

You can contact your state insurance commissioners office to see whats right you have.

You can go the appraiser route. But its almost guaranteed you'll end up paying for the third party appraiser. Because State Farms appraiser going to be on their side as he likes that monthly check from them.

If you choose to go that route. Heres a link to the guy I used on my Duetto almost 30 years ago. I dealt with Don in Atlanta who is the father. I would suggest contacting them and asking their opinion. They also might know an appraiser in your area.

The one last thing you could try with State Farm is tell who ever your talking to that before this escalates further and you each start spending money on appraisers is to split the difference.

This is basically what I ended up doing after I paid Don for a pre accident appraisal.

post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 04:05 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Heres what the NADA Classic Car guides says.

1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Value | Quadrifoglio 2 Door Convertible Prices and Book Value

post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks jim. I just sent the information to those crooks.
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 07:20 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
When my 69 Duetto got hit in the front in 1988. I went through the same thing your going through. What I caught the insurance company doing was using the regular car guide to value my car instead of the classic car guide. That was one of the things I learned from the appraiser.

With the internet today its much easier to figure out what the car is worth. The main thing you have to decide is how far do you want to fight it.

With mine years ago I finally got almost enough out of them { about 400.00 short } to have the car fixed and keep a clear title.

post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

They called back and said that in texas they dont use nada. They go by what they are being sold for or bought. So they went back to the original 9700 quote. I'm gonna except it and move on. One check clears i'm going to shop for other insurance. As jim recommended. No state or farm in my next insurance company.
Attached Images

Last edited by Chizel; 10-15-2016 at 09:57 AM.
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 10:13 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Check out JC Taylor. Similar setup to Haggerty but cheaper (in part I'm sure because they're less well known). They have a sterling reputation - I researched quite a bit and couldn't find a bad word about them. It came in at close to half as much as Haggerty (which is already cheap). My car is now worth more dead than alive - $20,000 agreed value - for around $250 per year!

I had Farmers for as long as I've been driving and they've always treated me well, but wanted agreed value. Was going to go with Haggerty but my insurance agent also handles JC Taylor and told me all of his customers are happy with it.

In both cases they have a lot of conditions and restrictions. They want you only driving the car to/from car "events", to/from repair shops and to "exercise" the car. You're not supposed to drive it to work or shopping, they want it in a secure garage and they are squeamish about having teenagers at home. They both insist that you own a sufficiently new "daily driver" - my 2005 Audi was easily new enough when I went to JC Taylor a couple of years ago but I can't remember exactly what they were looking for.

http://www.jctaylor.com/eligibility-rules/

Everything I read in my research pointed to them not using these restrictions to deny claims just coverage. So if you take your Spider shopping at Walmart and it gets run over by a lifted Ford Dually Super Duty sporting dual stacks and dual confederate flags they'll still pay your claim but might drop your coverage going forward. Or they might accept you saying "I was out for a nice day exercise drive and happened to stop in at Walmart on my way home". They do go out of their way to say they want it to be "primarily a hobby vehicle" and that they want you to be able to enjoy the car not restrict it to being a dedicated show car. Do your own research on this point though - don't take my word for what I think I can and can't get away with!

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Last edited by GV27; 10-15-2016 at 10:26 AM.
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 05:01 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Alfa

Sounds like this may end up a draw. I have had State Farm for years and am quite satisfied. My agent has gone the extra mile a couple times to make sure I was satisfied. I do have four vehicles and two residences so my yearly premiums are substantial and my driving record and claims record are excellent. State Farm offers two policies that you may not be aware of, antique auto and collector car. Both are stated value and have restrictions so you need to have your vehicle appraised or a agreeable amount.
Cheers, Jon

Present:
1967 Spider
1974 GTV (1969 Tribute)
1993 Spider ( project)
2018 Stelvio
Past:
1964 Giulia Sprint. 1966 Giulietta 101 Sprint
1967 Super 1968 GTV 1974 Berlina
1979 Alfetta Mille Miglia 1987 Milano
Non Alfa:
1953 MGTD 1958 TR3 1962 AH 3000 MKII
1969 AMX
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. Appreciate it.🏁

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode