Gear Shift Gaiters - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luscombe1940 View Post
Yeah,
I agree, my photos show it incorrectly.

As I understand it,
The small inner gaiter clamps to the top of the transmission.
Then the larger outer boot that is secured to the tunnel with the metal funnel slides on top of that with it's top portion just floating above the small gaiter.
Then the telescoping gaiter slips over the metal collar and clamps to the top of the collar.

I will correct mine and then repost photos.
Sorry to add to the confusion.
That's where I am at.. yes, I let the intermediate one "float" .. BEWARE.. don't button up everything until you test drive.. Popping out of REV is the first clue there is a problem .. then 2nd, 3rd and 4th might raise their head when you unload the tranny at decell. Mine gets better when things warm up but I don't think the factory meant it to be that way. AND it isn't my synchros.. if anyone is thinking that.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 04-29-2019 at 07:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:07 AM

There was a service bulletin on the subject so clearly AR had some call backs on the issue of installation.
Attached Images

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
That's where I am at.. yes, I let the intermediate one "float" .. BEWARE.. don't button up everything until you test drive.. Popping out of REV is the first clue there is a problem .. then 2nd, 3rd and 4th might raise their head when you unload the tranny at decell. Mine gets better when things warm up but I don't think the factory meant it to be that way. AND it isn't my synchros.. if anyone is thinking that.
Well, I eat crow on this one big time....This all started with repairing or let's say solving an issue with tranny oil running down the shift tower of the the tranny on the outside...This resulted in turning the exhaust rubber bushings into mush and a oil refinery smell in the car. Gear oil is not sweet smelling. First thing first was to replace the two rubber boots (gaiters) the inner was torn asunder and was clearly the culprit. After replacing them the shifter would pop out of gear. I foolishly blamed it on inferior parts. Mea culpa.... to the suppliers. What I did not understand is how critical the condition of the tranny rear support bushing was. On console cars like mine the bolt receiver is skewed toward the bottom of the bushing. This raises the tail of the tranny UP when the bushing is robust and doing it's job. I was lulled into thing a squishy bushing wouldn't matter except for torque over on the tranny. Wrong .... the oil bath that destroyed the exhaust bushings did the same thing to the tranny mount which lost it's support and the tail of the tranny sagged as much as 1/2 to 3/4" . This is enough to cause the shifter to tug on the "leather"cockpit gaiter to it's limits and more and which influenced the shifter to pull itself out of gear especially in REV 3rd and 4th. Lesson learned .. Don't underestimate the cause of a gear popping out as everything BUT the bushing support, especially console cars. Enclosed are photos of the offending bushing and a new one. It doesn't seem like that little difference matters but clearly it does. It is something the AR engineers had to resolve when they came up with another new part number for the console cars. The make-up of the bushing is not as robust as the other types I have encountered on 750/101/and 105 cars so they are more apt to deform especially under a bath of oil. Hope this helps someone.
Attached Images

Last edited by divotandtralee; 05-21-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:41 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Nice explanation, and good to hear that you solved the mystery.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:24 PM

I forgot to mention... I'm pretty sure the old bushing was the original one when the car was assembled 46 years ago. Nothing is forever. The guibo is next on the chopping block ... Fun fun fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode