Need help detaching the hand throttle from the center console - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Question Need help detaching the hand throttle from the center console

Can anyone tell me how to detach the hand throttle from the center console on a 1971 spider?

This is my first Alfa, and as my first project, I wanted to replace the gear shift boots ...
Name:  Gear shift boot.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  67.1 KB

... and fix some of the console lights and switches that arenít working properly.

Iíve tried to read all the past postings on removing the console; but unless I have missed it, thereís nothing specifically about how to detach the hand throttle from the console. I noticed that on the underside of the console, thereís a metal clip thingy that looks like it might hold the cable housing to the console.
Name:  Throttle clip.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  67.8 KB

I straightened the two ends of the clip and pulled it out, thinking that this was the trick, but I still canít get the throttle to pull out of the console. Iím reluctant to force it too much, as Iím learning (the hard way) exactly how brittle 45-year old plastic can be. What am I missing? Can anyone tell me how to do this? Many thanks!

-Sandy

1971 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 05:35 AM
Gold Subscriber

the other end of the throttle cable is attached to the throttle linkage under the hood near the booster, typically the cable center goes through an "eye" in the end of the linkage and has a two piece set-stop. Once disconnected from that linkage the center shaft will pull out from the console.

current:
84 Spider Veloce
ex:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

solve problems, learn something new!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks, I appreciate your response. But yes, I have disconnected the cable from the throttle linkage in the engine bay. Thatís not my problem. What Iím having trouble with is disconnecting the cable (or more precisely, I suppose, the cable housing) from the console. As it is, I could pull the cable completely out of the housing, but the housing would still be attached to the console. In addition to the housing that shows in my second photo, there is also a metallic piece on the outside of the console.
Name:  outer piece.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  65.9 KB
What I can't figure out is how to uncouple the housing on the underside of the console (previous photo) from the metallic piece in the above photo.

1971 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 06:48 AM
BMX

I'm fairly sure that chrome cap needs to be levered off and that will release the outer cable, bear in mind I'm not 100% on that - reinstalling the inner cable through the bulkhead is an absolute sod on RHD but might be easier on LHD

1975 Spider S2
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 09:10 AM
Gold Subscriber

it's been a while since I did this: I would look for a "U" shaped square clip on the underside (inside) up against the console, your first picture

current:
84 Spider Veloce
ex:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
it's been a while since I did this: I would look for a "U" shaped square clip on the underside (inside) up against the console, your first picture
I believe the U-shaped square clip is the metal thingy Iíve already removed (my original post). Removing it didn't seem to make much difference.

Quote:
I'm fairly sure that chrome cap needs to be levered off and that will release the outer cable, bear in mind I'm not 100% on that - reinstalling the inner cable through the bulkhead is an absolute sod on RHD but might be easier on LHD
I'm about to the point of doing some serious levering ... and hoping for the best.

-Sandy

1971 Spider
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 10:11 PM
BMX

Good luck but just bear in mind its along time since I did mine and my memories not so good.........

1975 Spider S2
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 08:55 AM

Once the U-shape metal retainer is out, the cable housing will push out from the back side. Be gentle but firm!

Show some photos of your car! Im doing the same as you -- see thread 'S2 dream spider'

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 08:58 AM
Gold Subscriber

don't pry, remove the handle and cable first. here is a link, the first picture shows the square clip, (though out of position)

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa...-complete.html

current:
84 Spider Veloce
ex:

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 05:11 AM

Garage
The metal clip slides into "leaf springs" on the black plastic square behind the console. Once you remove the metal clip, you will be able to press these plastic leaf springs, and then pull the throttle out through the front.

Eric
'79 Alfa Romeo Spider
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Success! Thanks, everybody! Once I got the cable housing out of the console and could examine it, it all made sense.

Name:  IMG_0968.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  15.7 KB

As Eric W points out, there are two "leaf springs" on the square neck of the housing; you have to press these in to move the housing out the front of the console. The U-shaped square metal clip, when inserted, keeps the "leaf springs" on the housing from compressing. My problem earlier was that even with the U-shaped clip removed, I couldn't see the "leaf springs" and just kept pushing against them.

Goats, I've enjoyed following your thread. Keep up the good work ... and keep sending posts and photos of your progress. Man, you are waaaay ahead of me on the skills scale though. Maybe one day I'll try tackling a tranny or engine rebuild, but right now that's out of my league. However, with such a terrific resource as the BB, who knows? I've only had my car for four months, so I've got plenty of things to address right now though. You were kind enough to ask for photos of my car. Itís not exactly looking itís best right now, but here are a couple Ö.

Name:  Alfa 01.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  66.7 KB
Name:  Alfa 03.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  52.3 KB

Again, everyone, thanks for the help.

-Sandy

1971 Spider
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 02:54 PM

WOW That car will be driving around in a couple weeks at most! Great looking interior !

Don't psyche yourself out on working on this stuff. Buy a workshop book and read it, none of this stuff is really complex. Some does take special tools but most can be worked around. remember that lots of guys repaired these back in the old days with no internet, no manuals, etc. So when the time comes, do 'push your envelope' on what you think you can do! I'm trying to psyche myself into doing my floor pans --- :-)

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks for the encouragement, Goats! Once I get through my ever-expanding "to-do" list, I may try something more ambitious. Hope all goes well with the floor pans! I'm thankful that that's one thing I don't need to address, but I'll be interested to see how yours goes.

-Sandy

1971 Spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode