Right headlight not working, bulb and connector seem fine - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Right headlight not working, bulb and connector seem fine

Hi,

I am trying to fix my right headlight (both lower beam and parking light), but cannot pinpoint the problem. The bulb is fine, so seem the connectors (look pretty new to me, no corrosion or anything).

Where else should I be looking?

Thanks for your help!
goulet115
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 02:05 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
FUSE??? end of the box on the right

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 02:42 PM

although you say lower beam and parking light, do you actually mean high beam and low beam?
if so, there would be 2 fuses for the headlight, one for low beam one for high, so 2 fuses would need to be out (#12 & #14)
if fuses are OK, my guess is the earth. The alfa spider headlight earth is a crappy invention!
remove the headlight and connect a separate earth to test.

if you actually did mean the park light (in the bumper) that is a separate circuit, on fuse #9 (together with engine light and rear left park/brake light)......that could be the connector, it can get corroded by road dirt.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf s4 electrical diagram 5.pdf (194.9 KB, 216 views)

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
although you say lower beam and parking light, do you actually mean high beam and low beam?
I meant lower beam and parking light. Is the right lower beam not on fuse 9? Do you perhaps have a fuse box diagram for a European Spider S4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfasrule View Post
FUSE??? end of the box on the right
I should really know better than this.. I have assumed that if it was a fuse, both lights would be out. Fuse 9 is out.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 05:28 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Check the grounds up by the radiator.
John533i likes this.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 06:59 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goulet115 View Post
I have assumed that if it was a fuse, both lights would be out. Fuse 9 is out.
I am unfamiliar with the later cars (like the series 4's), but can tell you that the earlier series 115 spiders have four separate fuses for high/low/left/right headlights.

When you wrote "Fuse 9 is out" do you mean out as in missing, or out as in blown? Well either way, I guess it isn't conducting current. Spiderserie4 reports in post #3 that fuse #9 handles the parking lights on an S4, but its failure would cause all of the parking lights to be dark. It isn't clear in your first post if all of the parking lights are dark or just the right front.

Like Jim G and spiderserie4, I recommend checking the grounds. However, both the H and L headlight filaments share the same ground, so if your right highbeam works OK, then a bad ground is probably not the reason that the right lowbeam is dark. The low beam filament and/or the parking light bulb could simply be blown.
Norseman50 likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 06-09-2016 at 07:19 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 12:16 AM

as said above
RH low beam is fuse #12
RH parking light is fuse # 9 (NB: also engine compartment light, LH rear parking light, LH rear brake light........so if these are working it is not the fuse, obviously!)

fuses numbered 1-14 counting from left.

the 2 earth/ground bundles, bolted along the top, left and right of the radiator (photo shows the left-hand-side one, near the washer bottle filler neck on the S4) doesn't include the headlight ground.

the actual headlights earth/ground is a silly little wire screwed on the headlamp bowl/body, and is nearly always causing problems.
see red circle in photo (in case US viewers are wondering what kinda contraption is on the back of my headlight, this is the German spec headlight with the tilt motor)
Attached Images

Norseman50 likes this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 06-10-2016 at 12:35 AM. Reason: add photo and clarify
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Currently, Fuse 9 is blow.
RH Parking light is not working, LH Parking works fine.

Fuse 12 is all right.
RH Low Beam is not working, RH High Beam and LH Low and High Beam all work fine.

----

Alfajay said that Low and High Beam share the same ground, so the problem must be somewhere else...?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Currently, Fuse 9 is blow.
RH Parking light is not working, LH Parking works fine.
so when you replace the fuse 9 it just blows again? If so, you need to check the front RH park light, the engine compartment light and the rear LH brake and park light for signs of shorting. And the connector from the front RH park light, and the connector in the boot/trunk for the rear LH light cluster.

Agree, headlight is not a ground problem if one beam works.
Norseman50 likes this.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 06-10-2016 at 12:45 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

I replaced fuse 9 and RH Parking Light works fine now. The socket for the engine compartment light is broken and both wires were dangling around. I am pretty sure they have touched at some point which would have caused the shortage. I removed the compartment light socket and isolated the wires, it's not as if that was the most useful light anyway...

RH Low Beam is still broken, High Beam still working fine. If it's not fuse 12, the connectors at the light itself, ground nor the bulb, where else should I be looking? Are there other connectors or wiring I should be checking? Maybe I should replace fuse 12, the bulb and check grounding anyway, just to be sure?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I replaced fuse 9 and RH Parking Light works fine now.
success!

Quote:
RH Low Beam is still broken....Maybe I should replace....the bulb...
Bulbs are difficult to judge, sometimes the break in the filament is tiny.
Swop it over to the other side and see if it works there, if not, swop the working bulb to the bad side, just to be sure

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Bulbs are difficult to judge, sometimes the break in the filament is tiny.

Swop it over to the other side and see if it works there, if not, swop the working bulb to the bad side, just to be sure

Bulb is fine! It's now working on the LH.
I checked the two socket connectors for power (high beam and low beam): both deliver around 12.2V.

Since the bulb and the power and the ground is fine, I suspect the contact in the socket to be faulty. Not sure how to fix that though, it looks just like the others!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Bulb is fine! I checked the two socket connectors for power (high beam and low beam): both deliver around 12.2V....I suspect the contact in the socket to be faulty. Not sure how to fix that though, it looks just like the other...
odd, if you have voltage. Maybe a loose contact, broken wire, that just happened to work when you tested it? Tried wobbling it about, moving the wires with the headlight connected and power to lowbeams on?

you can find new H4 connectors (H4 Steckkupplung) for a few euros if need be.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

The H4 connector was the culprit. Replaced it and everything works as it should, thanks a lot everyone!
spiderserie4 likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:23 AM

Joseph M.

Quote:
The alfa spider headlight earth is a crappy invention!
Hi Dom, I am baffled on how this factory ground works. This wire is screwed to a speednut attached to the body. This speednut doesn't seem to make any contact with the body. Nor do the other screws/speednuts. How on earth do the lights work???

Tags
headlight, lower beam, parking light

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode