7Likes
  • 1 Post By sloboy89
  • 3 Post By ghnl
  • 1 Post By DPeterson3
  • 2 Post By garwood1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Whats the best repair manual

I want to get a repair manual for my 88 Spider. What is the best one to get?

1988 Spider Graduate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 06:29 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by graduate88 View Post
I want to get a repair manual for my 88 Spider. What is the best one to get?
I got the full set of Alfa manuals (including shop manual, convertible top manual, and engine rebuild manual) from CarDisc. They are very comprehensive.
Norseman50 likes this.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 06:54 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
In addition to the Car Disc DVD, you will want the color coded wire diagrams that BB member Papajam offers. They will make tracing Alfa electrons much easier than the cryptic schematics in the shop manual.

I took my digital copies of his wire diagrams to an office supply store and had them print out 11" X 17" color copies then plastic laminate them. Perfect for shop use.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 08:37 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I have the full factory repair manual for your year car. I sold my 86 Quad several years ago, so no longer need it. $25, plus shipping. In near-perfect condition.
Norseman50 likes this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 10:24 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to garwood1
Without sounding a creep, I find that the most comprehensive information is found right here ! The manuals I have on hand (including CarDisc) are useful, but you can't beat the sort of info you find on this BB. There are write-ups (with photos) for just about every task on the car to be found here. This is my first 'go-to' whenever maintenance beckons.
sancho and Norseman50 like this.

Chris
1977 Spider 2000
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 11:50 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garwood1 View Post
I find that the most comprehensive information is found right here ! ....This is my first 'go-to' whenever maintenance beckons.
I agree up to a point. Sure, go to the Alfa BB, do a search, see if you can find the answer.

BUT, please don't start a new thread, asking BB members to type out a value or very basic procedure that can be found in a $10 manual. Or worse yet, ask BB members to post a scan of a manual, which violates copyright laws. If you can afford to own a hobby car and a set of tools, you can certainly afford a basic manual.

For what it's worth, I use a manual published by Brooklands. No it isn't comprehensive, but does answer basic questions (torque settings, fluid capacities, plug gaps, etc). Are these available for '88 spiders?

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 04-25-2016 at 11:56 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 01:30 PM

Honestly, you can't have enough manuals because each one is edited slightly differently and so contains often obscure information not available in other publications. The old Climer Alfa manual, for instance, has stuff in it that you can't find in other manuals. Its fault finding sequence is still the best I've ever seen.
My advice: don't buy just one manual.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

I agree forums have always been a great source. But that is why I ask the question here with the experience of prior Alfa owners. I do want manuals but I have found many that are useless and want to avoid those.
Forums have helped with many of my prior projects (corvette, mustang, sport fury, challenger etc. ) but I also do not want to ask on every detail of repairs.
Most of my friends are from forums that I still run with today, but my Mustang buddy really hates me having an Italian car LOL

1988 Spider Graduate
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 07:21 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by graduate88 View Post
....I ask the question here with the experience of prior Alfa owners. I do want manuals but I have found many that are useless and want to avoid those..
After all that, I'm not sure we have answered your question.

Given that you have a 1988 Alfa, I now realize that my recommendation for Brooklands' books isn't much help. Those only cover the Weber and Spica era Alfas.

Your 1988 Bosch EFI Alfa seems to require either CD's, or the factory manual that DPeterson3 mentions in post #4.

But are the factory manuals "good"? I can't say, having only owned older cars. But hey, when has Fiat ever turned out poor-quality products?

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 04-25-2016 at 07:29 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 09:02 PM

Garage
I have the same question as the original poster graduate88 - except for a different model. An '86 Spider Veloce, which is the same series 3 as the '88, so the same advice applies?

I'm partial to hard copies over digital - can the CarDisc original Alfa manuals be gotten in hard copy?

Last edited by DoubleBobby; 06-15-2016 at 09:03 PM. Reason: typo
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 09:13 PM

Centerline has reprints of the factory manual
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 10:53 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
But are the factory manuals "good"? I can't say, having only owned older cars. But hey, when has Fiat ever turned out poor-quality products?
Yeah, they are pretty good. Seem accurate and pretty good procedures for the shade-tree mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleBobby View Post
I have the same question as the original poster graduate88 - except for a different model. An '86 Spider Veloce, which is the same series 3 as the '88, so the same advice applies?

I'm partial to hard copies over digital - can the CarDisc original Alfa manuals be gotten in hard copy?
The CarDisc and the Centerline manual both cover '82 to '89, all trim levels, so it's the same manual. I've never had the CarDisc product but the manual package from AROC-USA is just a collection of PDFs. You can take them down to a copy shop and have them print and bind them. That's all the Centerline manuals are anyhow - print outs from a digital copy. Or do what I do - I look up the relevant section and then just print it out. Easier to handle in the shop and I don't care about my greasy fingerprints all over it or spilling something on it or whatever.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Last edited by GV27; 06-22-2016 at 10:55 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 12:01 PM

Garage
Got the AROC collection for my vehicle after emailing Jim. @GV27, good point on the printing out relevant sections, or just taking to the print shop to have it bound and printed. Thank you.

Bobby | Brooklyn, NY
~1986 Spider Veloce~
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 01:50 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
If you've got the AROC package, be sure to check out the parts manual. It's full of great, detailed diagrams often better than the diagrams in the service manual.

-Chris

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode