New Autoberry Soft Top Install Question - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Cool New Autoberry Soft Top Install Question

It has been awhile since I have worked on the Spider and posted. Spring is around the corner and my goal is to get the car finished so I can enjoy it this summer.

I bought a new Autoberry top and have just started the install process. I plan on a full documentation on my Refurbish thread but got stuck on step one.

I have the 34 page Spider Top Install document and have read it cover to cover several times.

I think the Autoberry top is a little different from the original and the documentation in the manual. It has been a couple of years since I removed the old top, and frame assembly so have forgot some of the details.

I am confused about the route for the cables, especially with this top and would like to confirm the connection of the looped end of the cables.

Photos are attached.

The cable is to be threaded through the fabric top from the front. It routes through the fabric top exits at the brass grommet, enters into the top frame and exits at the bottom into the cable tension device.

I would like to confirm that the cable loop is anchored to this point on the frame and also, is this where the T-bolt attaches. The install manual is silent on this end of the cable.
Name:  Top Front Corner.JPG
Views: 409
Size:  133.9 KB

This is where the cable enters the frame after it exits the fabric. I understand this correctly.
Name:  Top Side Cable Hole.JPG
Views: 427
Size:  152.2 KB

The next three photos show the potential routes of the cable. I think the chalked line is the correct path. However, the stitching will have to be crossed as it currently does not allow for the cable to route within the layers of the fabric.

Is the chalked line the correct route? Has anyone run across this issue with the Autoberry replacement tops? Appreciate your help. I want to make sure my top is installed correctly and that my install thread is correct.

I think this is the correct route for the cable but will have to cross the stitching. ( Had to borrow Grandsons driveway chalk to mark the top)
Name:  Top Cable Route.JPG
Views: 521
Size:  196.1 KB

The screw driver shows the location of the path through the top.
Name:  Top Cable Route 2.JPG
Views: 442
Size:  194.3 KB

This is where the wire ends up in the fold after you go through the grommet hole. I know this in not the right path.

Name:  Top Cable Route 3.JPG
Views: 419
Size:  212.8 KB

Gary
74 Spider - Completed; Tuning Weber's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Luscombe1940; 03-30-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 08:30 PM

Autoberry

you'll need to anchor it where you see in the picture and run it through the fabric just above my finger. It will come out the other side where it anchors to the vertical part of the frame.
Attached Images

Randall
86 Spider (Slick)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks Randall!
Is that just a 4mm bolt or is it a T-Bolt.

i did locate the cable route. I also moved this discussion to my Refurbishing thread.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-...y-74-a-34.html

Gary
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 09:46 PM

No it's a phillips head bolt with an 8mm locking nut. I liked the rounded phillips head so it would not dig into the top.

When you get to gluing the fabric around the two cross bars I used 14 large paper clips on each bar. The kind that are black with the two silver handles. Not too expensive if you get them Walmart. Later they make good chip clips, seals plastic cereal bags and etc.

Yeah, those grommets threw me off too.

Randall
86 Spider (Slick)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 09:51 PM

I've realized every rag top replacement has it's pain.. A few months back I replaced my Nieces rag top on her VW Cabriolet. It was going fine until I got to removing and installing the glass rear window. Still don't know how I did NOT break that thing.

Randall
86 Spider (Slick)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Rag Top Rear Holes Location ?

Hi,
I am making progress on the top install and am posting a write up in my restoration thread.

For the series of ongoing questions related to the same, I will post here to eliminate watering down my other thread. I will post the answers there in the write up.

Randall,
Thanks for idea about clips. I will get after that when I get to that step.

Right now my next question has to do with location of the holes along the back edge of the top. How close to the seam can they be? I finished the front gluing today and pulled the top to see how close to the rear rain gutter I could get the edge. I suspect the top will be very tight when installed. that said I do not want to dimple the top of the body immediately behind the rain gutter by having a top that is too tight.

I took a photo and think I will need to stay as close to the edge of the seam as possible with the new holes but would like to know what others have done about this.

I will put the write up on the other thread tomorrow. As a teaser, I was able to get the new rubber gasket installed in the new retainer in less than 15 minutes by myself. Only had to grunt twice. I show how in the write up.

In this photo the front clamps are engaged and the front bow is setting on the top of the window frame with the front portion of the top completed. That is a pretty big gap between the edge of the top and the back of the rain gutter.
Name:  3 Rear Edge 1.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  150.9 KB

Gary
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 09:02 PM

Inside Picture

To make the holes I lined up the old and new top with the edge in question. The only mistake I made was not making the holes as big as the were with the old top. After installation I had a tight corner on the passenger side and realized those holes are elongated left to right for a reason.

If you look at the picture you may be able to put the holes 1/4 of an inch lower, but I thought the extra fabric was possibly needed for strength around the studs.

Initially my top was very tight and it did not dimple behind the window. There is some adjustment at the clamps and that helped me out. Leaving it up when parked seemed to get a little stretch in it too.
Attached Images

Randall
86 Spider (Slick)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Rain Gutter Cover

the rear rain gutter is supposed to be covered with a black plastic sheet that bolts on with the top at the rear. I think that looks less than finished and am considering a different solution.

Has anyone treated this area with a different type of cover or solution and what did you use?

I am thinking about a black upholstery fabric, stretchy, that would install behind the bar the holds the top in place and then pull it over top the gutter and tuck it behind the carpet.

Photos of what you have done would be great.

Thanks,

Name:  3 Rear Edge 1.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  150.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4256.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  34.7 KB

Gary
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:06 AM

Hi Luscombe 1940, I realise that this is over three years ago, but how did your install finish up? I'm going to be doing this job on my 1988 Quad in a couple of months, and trying to decide which top to buy. Would you recommend the Autoberry top? I sent an email to Autoberry and they confirmed that the holes for the rear studs are pre-punched in their top, but from your description above, this doesn't seem to be the case. Could you please confirm?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

My top went on pretty well. I did have to punch the holes. Not a big deal just an additional step. I wanted a tight top so erred on that. Turns out it was a little too tight and created some oil canning in the back deck. You would not notice it unless you were looking for it though.

I bought the best to they have and am glad I did. It has the cushioned quarters.
Did have a problem with the contact glue. After installed for a couple years, be there glue is letting go where I wrapped some true across the front bow. The other areas seem to be holding up ok.

Good product, go slow with the install and you will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode