What did you do Alfa Spider related today? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 875Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1447 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmanners
Question What did you do Alfa Spider related today?

I noticed that the 164 & 168 guys have a very active thread about what they've been up to, and I think us Spider guys and gals need to get with the program- so I'm gonna start and see what happens!

Today was a very good day! It was a beautiful warm, clear day in South Florida, and I'm sorry to tell so many of you in the more "Arctic" or "Nordic" places, but it was PERFECT top-down weather!

My Sofia (my Spider's name- still looking for a permanent occupant for that other seat!) was in prime condition, freshly painted, washed and tuned, and I even put the boot on today (it really does add that last dash of class...) so we took a ride along A1A, right along the Atlantic coast, starting in Fort Lauderdale (it's Spring Break Time- although I'm way too old for that ) where some of the beach crowd took notice of us with waves and smartphone shots, and then headed north, eventually getting into an impromptu group of 3 red convertible sports cars in a semi-caravan. Sadly, my companion's cars were from a certain manufacturer in bratwurstland, but what can you do? For a while I had a modern Maserati convertible in black as my wingman, but I think he was too cool to notice- probably because he was NOT too old for the Spring Break crowd!

Anyway, got stuck in traffic at the beach, and didn't care. Sofia ran like a champ and never threatened to overheat, and my sunblock did it's job keeping me from turning Alfa Rosso myself.

Weather is supposed to be great here all this week (that means evening lows in the 70s, daytime highs just below 80°- that's 21-27C for you metric folks) so you may be hearing more from me soon!

Let's hear from you guys and gals!

I remember many years ago driving in a snowstorm in Syracuse NY with the top down so I could get 3 kegs of beer in my old Fiat Spider for a frat party! Any crazy persons (like me) up there in the tundra enjoying a topless winter blast?

Viva i ragni!

Last edited by rcmanners; 03-06-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1447 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 07:56 PM

Garage
I drove mine. A lot.
rcmanners and kellymac like this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #3 of 1447 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 10:02 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
This weekend was shocks, springs, tie rod ends and a new polyurethane trunion bushing. Oh, and a dash cap. Now she sticks around a corner like pasta thrown against the wall!
rcmanners likes this.

Greg East
Loveland, CO USA
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'87 Porsche 944 turbo
'93 BMW 740i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 1447 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregeast View Post
This weekend was shocks, springs, tie rod ends and a new polyurethane trunion bushing. Oh, and a dash cap. Now she sticks around a corner like pasta thrown against the wall!
I think that springs are next on my list. What did you get, and why?

I have poly bushings and Koni Reds all around. I'll be getting a rebuilt steering idler box this week- just enough play in it now that it can't be properly aligned.

I'm lucky with my dash- never had a crack. I've used Zymol Vinyl on all my vinyl and I swear by it. I think the trick is to never use silicone based products. They make everything look shiny, but they pull the moisture out.

Another reason I use Zymol products? They smell so good!

Gotta cook up some pasta for tomorrow to check my handling!
post #5 of 1447 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 04:40 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Kentucky winter temperatures are like a yo-yo, and I had my S4 out 3 weeks ago with the top down. However, it only ventures out when any salt has been washed off the roads. I'm currently messing with the front suspension settings on the '76 in anticipation of the first autocross of the season in about 2 weeks, as well as thinking about a work list for attendance at the AROC convention in Nashville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmanners View Post
... Any crazy persons (like me) up there in the tundra enjoying a topless winter blast?

Viva i ragni!
rcmanners likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #6 of 1447 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:34 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to garwood1
Repaired the foot pump switch, and took her out for a nice long drive in the (rare this time of year) English sunshine.
rcmanners likes this.

Chris
1977 Spider 2000
post #7 of 1447 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 06:39 AM

I drove mine on a nice long ride with one of my girls. (by the way, that's the fastest way to get a Ricaro seat with 5-point harness into a spider) Another happy customer.

The weekend project was syncing the quad carbs on my Nighthawk, then adjusting idle mixtures. For another BB...
Attached Images

rcmanners and John533i like this.

Phil in FL

84 Spider
08 Tundra
92 Nighthawk 750
post #8 of 1447 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 06:52 AM

I read this thread.

Bob Williams
Current: '76 Spider. Former: '86 GTV6, '58 Giulietta Spider "normale"
post #9 of 1447 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 07:59 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmanners View Post
I think that springs are next on my list. What did you get, and why?
The why is easy, my passenger side rear spring was broken

I ended up going with Centerline sport springs. The ride height is spot on for my S2 (others have said they were too low but I didn't find that to be the case) and they are firm but not overly stiff.

Centerline is about a 45 minute drive for me so not having to pay shipping was obviously a factor as well.
weiliwen likes this.

Greg East
Loveland, CO USA
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'87 Porsche 944 turbo
'93 BMW 740i
post #10 of 1447 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by conedriver View Post
Kentucky winter temperatures are like a yo-yo, and I had my S4 out 3 weeks ago with the top down. However, it only ventures out when any salt has been washed off the roads.
I used to deal with the yo-yo temps when I lived in New York. I sometimes worked a shift on Sunday mornings that started at 5am, which meant leaving the house around 4am. One week around this time of year was gorgeous- top down, didn't even need the heater. The very next week, BLIZZARD!. I had trouble getting up a very gentle slope on a back road- I think that section of road took me 20 minutes that day (normally would have been about 20 seconds!)

Glad those days are behind me!
post #11 of 1447 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by garwood1 View Post
Repaired the foot pump switch, and took her out for a nice long drive in the (rare this time of year) English sunshine.
Excellent! I wish I could enjoy some country lanes in the UK with my Spider. We have the weather you want here in Florida, but you can't find a decent "sports car road" within 8 hours of Miami!
garwood1 likes this.
post #12 of 1447 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
The why is easy, my passenger side rear spring was broken

I ended up going with Centerline sport springs. The ride height is spot on for my S2 (others have said they were too low but I didn't find that to be the case) and they are firm but not overly stiff.
Well- that's a good reason for new springs!

I've heard that those Centerline springs are different than the former IAP sport springs (yes- I know IAP is now Centerline...) I'm glad that you like the springs- I'll keep that in mind.

I'm wary about lowering the car even a little. I don't have to deal with potholes and such, but down here in South Florida the local governments are speed-bump crazy, and sometimes I get lightly beached as it is. Very frustrating...
post #13 of 1447 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 08:58 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Pot hole wise I'm not too concerned, the springs are enough stiffer than stock that I think it's actually less likely that they'll compress enough to cause a problem. Speed bumps (sleeping policemen as our UK friends would say) are another matter of course.

Here's a quick cell phone pic

Greg East
Loveland, CO USA
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'87 Porsche 944 turbo
'93 BMW 740i
post #14 of 1447 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Pot hole wise I'm not too concerned, the springs are enough stiffer than stock that I think it's actually less likely that they'll compress enough to cause a problem. Speed bumps (sleeping policemen as our UK friends would say) are another matter of course.
Oooooh.... that's low....

This is me now... You can see I'm driving uphill all the time. Don't know if I can go that low though... Decisions, decisions...
Attached Images

Norseman50 likes this.
post #15 of 1447 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 12:13 PM

RCmanners...so that's a picture of your S3 with Centerline yellow springs?

Brian White - 1979 Alfetta GTV - 1988 Milano Verde - 1981 Lancia Beta Zagato - 2006 Land Rover LR3 - 2005 Audi S4 Avant - 1990 SCCA SpecMiata

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in