Alfa Romeo Forums banner

What did you do Alfa Spider related today?

520K views 6K replies 427 participants last post by  Bern1 
#1 · (Edited)
I noticed that the 164 & 168 guys have a very active thread about what they've been up to, and I think us Spider guys and gals need to get with the program- so I'm gonna start and see what happens!

Today was a very good day! It was a beautiful warm, clear day in South Florida, and I'm sorry to tell so many of you in the more "Arctic" or "Nordic" places, but it was PERFECT top-down weather!

My Sofia (my Spider's name- still looking for a permanent occupant for that other seat!) was in prime condition, freshly painted, washed and tuned, and I even put the boot on today (it really does add that last dash of class...) so we took a ride along A1A, right along the Atlantic coast, starting in Fort Lauderdale (it's Spring Break Time- although I'm way too old for that :crying2:) where some of the beach crowd took notice of us with waves and smartphone shots, and then headed north, eventually getting into an impromptu group of 3 red convertible sports cars in a semi-caravan. Sadly, my companion's cars were from a certain manufacturer in bratwurstland, but what can you do? For a while I had a modern Maserati convertible in black as my wingman, but I think he was too cool to notice- probably because he was NOT too old for the Spring Break crowd!

Anyway, got stuck in traffic at the beach, and didn't care. Sofia ran like a champ and never threatened to overheat, and my sunblock did it's job keeping me from turning Alfa Rosso myself. :blushing:

Weather is supposed to be great here all this week (that means evening lows in the 70s, daytime highs just below 80°- that's 21-27C for you metric folks) so you may be hearing more from me soon!

Let's hear from you guys and gals!

I remember many years ago driving in a snowstorm in Syracuse NY with the top down so I could get 3 kegs of beer in my old Fiat Spider for a frat party! Any crazy persons (like me) up there in the tundra enjoying a topless winter blast?

Viva i ragni! :clap:

See less See more
#3,418 ·
The 200,000 mile strong Nord is getting some love and attention. Rebuilding it to as new with streetable performance upgrades.

#3,420 · (Edited)
Today I learned my AAV isn't working. I had already cleaned and tested the AAV: frozen the hole was large, hot (150˚F) it was closed. At room temp there was a small hole so I thought it was fine.

So I thought maybe my CSI was working intermittently as the connector was loose: I cleaned up and tested the connection, tested that it fires when cold but I still had to give it gas to start her up and then she was chugging until warm.

I decided to pull the AAV for the 4th time and bypass it completely. I decided I would simulate a manual AAV via a small set of vise grips. With the bypass installed and no vise grips she started right up but surged like crazy. I quickly I added the vise grip at around 1/2 tight and the idle smoothed right out. I turned it off and tried again with no additional gas and she fired right up... after a few minutes I re-adjusted the vise grips to fully closed and went for a 30 minute ride. She ran really well.

I'm glad I did that test and I suggest anyone with Cold Start or Hot Start issues - try bypassing the AAV to determine if it is in fact No Bueno.

Now all I need is to find a manual heater valve that fits the hoses, make a mount, route the cable into the cabin etc. Anyone have a part number for one they've used?

#3,426 ·
Today I learned my AAV isn't working. I had already cleaned and tested the AAV and frozen the hole was large, hot (150˚F) it was closed.

I thought maybe my CSI was working intermittently as the connector was loose, cleaned up and tested the connection, tested that it fires when cold but I still had to give it gas to start it and then it was chugging until warm.

I decided to pull the AAV for the 4th time and bypass it completely. I decided I would simulate a manual AAV via a small set of vise grips. With the bypass installed and no vise grips she started right up but surged like crazy. I quickly I added the vise grip at around 1/2 tight and the idle smoothed right out. I turned it off and tried again with no additional gas and she fired right up... after a few minutes re-adjusted vise grips to fully closed and went for a 30 minute ride. She ran really well.

I'm glad I did that test and I suggest anyone with Cold Start or Hot Start issues - try bypassing the AAV to determine if it is in fact No Bueno.

Now all I need is to find a manual heater valve that fits the hoses, make a mount, route the cable into the cabin etc. Anyone have a part number for one they've used?
Came across this while looking for something else. Says it fits the late 80's Saab 900's. Which ran L-Jetronic.

Reactions: vbisbest
#3,421 ·

Today I went for a nice spirited ride in my spider. I came up behind what I thought was a Mazda Miata. But it was the Italian cousin, a Fiat 124 spider. For sure it moved along very quickly and was able to handle the twisty as well. Today was a top down ride but I guess it was not for the Fiat.

#3,424 ·
Before I bought my Alfa, I went to the dealer to buy a new Fiat 124 Spider, but after going for a test drive I knew it was definitely not for me. Too cramped inside, seat does not recline back enough, head is too close to the windshield, no leg room and no spare tire. I really wanted to love it but I couldn't. When I took the 1975 Spider for a test drive, I knew immediately "this is it".

#3,430 ·
Weather was excellent on Easter Sunday. So took the Spider instead of the daily driver. It was good to hear it clear its throat after such a long lockdown.

Farina Red, Stinger exhaust and Weber Trumpets is not for anyone trying to keep a low profile.

Wife reckons she could hear me driving up through the town on my way home.

I think I might get an external Mic for the phone and measure the Decibel level.

Attachments

#3,434 ·
Replaced the clutch master cylinder. The old one was rusty and had a slow leak, so decided against rebuilding it. Di Fatta Brothers had a new one. Old with the reservoir removed:

And the old cylinder removed:

New cylinder installed with the serviceable old reservoir but a new crush washer:

And bleeding the system with the wonderful and marvelous Motive Products Power Bleeder (run, do not walk to buy one!):

Fingers crossed I won't discover a leak tomorrow morning!

#3,441 ·
I noticed that the 164 & 168 guys have a very active thread about what they've been up to, and I think us Spider guys and gals need to get with the program- so I'm gonna start and see what happens!

Today was a very good day! It was a beautiful warm, clear day in South Florida, and I'm sorry to tell so many of you in the more "Arctic" or "Nordic" places, but it was PERFECT top-down weather!

My Sofia (my Spider's name- still looking for a permanent occupant for that other seat!) was in prime condition, freshly painted, washed and tuned, and I even put the boot on today (it really does add that last dash of class...) so we took a ride along A1A, right along the Atlantic coast, starting in Fort Lauderdale (it's Spring Break Time- although I'm way too old for that :crying2:) where some of the beach crowd took notice of us with waves and smartphone shots, and then headed north, eventually getting into an impromptu group of 3 red convertible sports cars in a semi-caravan. Sadly, my companion's cars were from a certain manufacturer in bratwurstland, but what can you do? For a while I had a modern Maserati convertible in black as my wingman, but I think he was too cool to notice- probably because he was NOT too old for the Spring Break crowd!

Anyway, got stuck in traffic at the beach, and didn't care. Sofia ran like a champ and never threatened to overheat, and my sunblock did it's job keeping me from turning Alfa Rosso myself. :blushing:

Weather is supposed to be great here all this week (that means evening lows in the 70s, daytime highs just below 80°- that's 21-27C for you metric folks) so you may be hearing more from me soon!

Let's hear from you guys and gals!

I remember many years ago driving in a snowstorm in Syracuse NY with the top down so I could get 3 kegs of beer in my old Fiat Spider for a frat party! Any crazy persons (like me) up there in the tundra enjoying a topless winter blast?

Viva i ragni! 👏