What did you do Alfa Spider related today? - Page 94 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1133Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1396 of 1807 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:44 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
I'm really lucky in that three Alfa BB members live in the area and they are all hands-on owners. I think that collectively we could likely do anything needed. I probably should put them in my will.........maybe not.
I'd consider Velocedoc for the will

"No chance, no destiny, no fate can circumvent, change or control the firm resolve of a determined soul"

73 Spider
80 BMW e21(Sold, gone to Houston)
79 Spider (sold)
78 Spider (sold, gone to U K)
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1397 of 1807 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:20 PM
Gold Subscriber

As a matter of semi-fact, Velocedoc is one of the Three Musketeers.

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
post #1398 of 1807 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBum View Post
I could be wrong, I have been before but that torque arm looks like a bad idea and I foresee damage in the future.
Nobody makes solid mounts for this, and there’s quite a bit of movement putting down just above 200whp. The turbo sits close to the control arm mount and the oil return is tight to the body and I didn’t want any chafing.

1987 Spider
Stock Engine, Turbocharged, Megasquirt MS3x, Flex Fuel - 230whp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1399 of 1807 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:00 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Some serious autocross cars do this when allowed for specific preparation levels. The modification is described in the SCCA Solo rule book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBum View Post
I could be wrong, I have been before but that torque arm looks like a bad idea and I foresee damage in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #1400 of 1807 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:08 PM

Garage
I'm not disputing the need for the application, only the engineering.
post #1401 of 1807 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:54 PM
Gold Subscriber

After using up my week's quota of Band Aids for skinned knuckles and Epsom salts for my 69 year old carcass I had the pleasure of holding down a lawn chair today for a couple of hours while Veloce Doc and Slow Creek changed a brake booster in an S4. It's wonderful to watch somebody else drop the nut, the washer, and then the wrench.

Now that I've watched the job successfully completed I know exactly who to talk into doing it for me when my Spider needs one

It was a beautiful day to watch others work.
Attached Images

spydaman likes this.

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
post #1402 of 1807 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:36 PM

Re-installed the trunk lid. I found a few tiny black dots under the clear. They resprayed the lid and I picked it up this afternoon and put it back on. Cleaned under the hood to get all the body shop dust off and cleaned it up for tomorrows cars and coffee at [email protected]

After coffee I will be parked in front of a pub tv watching the champions league final. YNWA!
Attached Images

sloboy89 likes this.

1981 GTV6 3.0L
1983 Spider
post #1403 of 1807 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 05:23 AM
Platinum Subscriber

It sounds like you discovered "The Tom Sawyer whitewash fence" concept. younger people might not know about this, but I was able to use it to good effect in my early days of Alfa ownership:

Me: struggling with doing something to my Giulietta while friend sits in the shade sipping on a beer

Cursing, struggling, etc.

Friend: couldn't stand my whining and starts working on the Alfa while I sit in the shade sipping a beer.

It worked almost every time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
After using up my week's quota of Band Aids for skinned knuckles and Epsom salts for my 69 year old carcass I had the pleasure of holding down a lawn chair today for a couple of hours while Veloce Doc and Slow Creek changed a brake booster in an S4. It's wonderful to watch somebody else drop the nut, the washer, and then the wrench.

Now that I've watched the job successfully completed I know exactly who to talk into doing it for me when my Spider needs one

It was a beautiful day to watch others work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #1404 of 1807 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 04:24 PM

Today, I finally finished a retro-mod of my '79 Spider's console and interior, using a Classic Alfa euro console and shifter boot, a Retrosound Hermosa head unit, new speakers in the kick panels, and a vintage shifter knob that I refurbished.

I removed all the idiot lights, retaining only the handbrake warning light, which is a red "jewel" legacy light mounted low on the console across from the throttle knob. I love the clean look of the new console.

As one might expect, the number of complications and curve balls made this seemingly simple modification much harder than I anticipated: as much as we love our Alfas, they don't always love us back!

That said, after I completed the the mods,I took a beautiful top-down ride up the parkway and back: what a wonderful reward!!

Before and After photos follow:

After
Attached Images

Last edited by Mario Romagnoli; 06-01-2019 at 04:25 PM. Reason: spelling
post #1405 of 1807 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 08:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Romagnoli View Post
Today, I finally finished a retro-mod of my '79 Spider's console and interior, using a Classic Alfa euro console and shifter boot, a Retrosound Hermosa head unit, new speakers in the kick panels, and a vintage shifter knob that I refurbished.

I removed all the idiot lights, retaining only the handbrake warning light, which is a red "jewel" legacy light mounted low on the console across from the throttle knob. I love the clean look of the new console.

As one might expect, the number of complications and curve balls made this seemingly simple modification much harder than I anticipated: as much as we love our Alfas, they don't always love us back!

That said, after I completed the the mods,I took a beautiful top-down ride up the parkway and back: what a wonderful reward!!

Before and After photos follow:

After

I am a fan of keeping the car stock, but wow what a nice improvement. I have said this before and it is worth saying again. We all love looking at our Alfa, but you spend more time behind the wheel. You have to be happy with the visual interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Smith
post #1406 of 1807 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 08:35 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to alfa_corsa
When I first got Renzo back together following her 5 year restoration there were a few minor things that I just had to push to the back burner. With the very long winter we had here in the Bay Area I was able to tackle a few of them, and finally, with summer coming soon I was finally able to renew some steering related parts.

Yesterday I installed new ball joints on the tie-rods and center track rod, as well as a new sealed bearing idler box. While the old girl was up on jack stands I changed the engine oil and filter, and changed the gearbox oil with Dentax. My car’s gearbox has the early style “molybdenum” synchros which apparently need Dentax gearbox oil. I’m looking forward to a drive today to see what effect it has on the synchros.

-tj in the Cruz Moutains

57 1900C SS (10321) Carrozerria Touring (in process)
59 Giulietta Spider Veloce (05431)
66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (242922) Reborn
95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #1407 of 1807 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 08:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa_corsa View Post
When I first got Renzo back together following her 5 year restoration there were a few minor things that I just had to push to the back burner. With the very long winter we had here in the Bay Area I was able to tackle a few of them, and finally, with summer coming soon I was finally able to renew some steering related parts.

Yesterday I installed new ball joints on the tie-rods and center track rod, as well as a new sealed bearing idler box. While the old girl was up on jack stands I changed the engine oil and filter, and changed the gearbox oil with Dentax. My car’s gearbox has the early style “molybdenum” synchros which apparently need Dentax gearbox oil. I’m looking forward to a drive today to see what effect it has on the synchros.

-tj in the Cruz Moutains

Send pictures

Ken Smith
post #1408 of 1807 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:49 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to alfa_corsa
https://flic.kr/p/2aL7Fzb

-tj in the Cruz Mtns
Dbaliko likes this.

57 1900C SS (10321) Carrozerria Touring (in process)
59 Giulietta Spider Veloce (05431)
66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (242922) Reborn
95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #1409 of 1807 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 04:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa_corsa View Post
https://flic.kr/p/2aL7Fzb

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

Thanks for sharing the photos with us. You should be really proud of the end result. You really went through a lot to keep an Alfa on the road!

Ken Smith
post #1410 of 1807 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 05:38 PM

Bigger problems to deal with, buttttt... Darn arachnid paternal instinct... She still gets priority
I did get a couple of parallel bars welded acrosse each of the two doors but thinking may be I should put 2 long diagonal cross bar across to further support the mid-section while on the rotisserie... Not too confident about the rust-till-you-drop situation...
Discuss below the dotted-line. Name:  DSC_1242.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  75.9 KBName:  DSC_1245.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  54.5 KBName:  DSC_1228.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  65.9 KBName:  DSC_1241.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  110.7 KBName:  DSC_1240.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  115.1 KB

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode