What did you do Alfa Spider related today? - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1007Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 1719 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 12:40 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to garwood1
Let's see...replaced bulbs in warning indicators and 3 instruments in center console...replaced the 2 vent window seals...glued the vent window latches back on..oil change, air filter...and attempted to get horn working again (See separate thread for gorey details). All in prep for Spring Alfa Day next weekend.

Chris
1977 Spider 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1719 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 07:55 AM

Replaced the Flex disc, ujoints, stripped and painted the drive shafts.
post #63 of 1719 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 09:33 PM

Reinstalled my transmission and driveshaft, and also installed a new giubo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 1719 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 05:14 AM

Not today, but Saturday, I picked up my newly cleaned and coated gas tank, after trying for a year to clean it myself. I hope to install it next Saturday or Sunday, other chores permitting...
post #65 of 1719 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 08:13 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Drove Spider to a friends. First time since body repairs. Turned cool on the way back. Spiders have great heaters.
Looking forward to Nashville.
Cheers, Jon
Attached Images

Present:
1967 Spider
1974 GTV (1969 Tribute)
1993 Spider ( project)
2018 Stelvio
Past:
1964 Giulia Sprint. 1966 Giulietta 101 Sprint
1967 Super 1968 GTV 1974 Berlina
1979 Alfetta Mille Miglia 1987 Milano
Non Alfa:
1953 MGTD 1958 TR3 1962 AH 3000 MKII
1969 AMX

Last edited by not2old4toys; 04-12-2016 at 07:35 PM.
post #66 of 1719 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 06:42 PM

Garage
Not today but...

I couldn't resist the mild winter here in Ohio. Feb 22 and 44 degrees...I dropped the top and took my s4 around the block. I put new speakers and radio in. When I was done the call was too strong! I won't do that anytime soon but we are getting warmer here!
Attached Images

post #67 of 1719 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 08:57 PM

I took a fuel pressure reading, and found the injectors to be leaking badly. I also learned that I can 'prime' the system by switching the key on and off. I'll get around to swapping injectors at some point...

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6
post #68 of 1719 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 03:34 PM

Garage
I started to install my new shifter boot. A bit more of a job than I planned!!! It needs some re assembly and with weather cooperation, I will be driving this weekend!
post #69 of 1719 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 03:46 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to spiderJohnNH Send a message via Skype™ to spiderJohnNH
Went to cars & coffee this morning in Candia, NH at Historic Motor Sports
They had an excellent turnout. Two Alfa coupes inside, mine was only Alfa outside, so I represented our side.
Took my lovely wife for a fine top-down 100 mile afternoon ride in the Monadnocks. Out to Hillsborough Center and back, taking country roads the whole way. Good day to own a Spider.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

John R
So. NH, USA --'87 Spider Veloce
See you along the road - member of AROC/AONE

other current members of the fleet

2017 VW Jetta Tsi
2006 Subaru Outback - almost a driveway requirement in VT & NH
2007 Toyota Corolla

previous
2009 VW Jett TDi (Deer took this one out)
1984 Mercedes 300TDT wagon, rust took that one
1972 Mercedes 280SE, got in straight swap for the Discovery
1996 Land Rover Discovery
1986 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon
1962 VW Bug - 6 volt
1974 Triumph Spitfire - wobbly driveshaft kept destroying stuff
1972 Triumph Spitfire - got totaled while parked at DMV

some others that were less interesting
post #70 of 1719 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 04:35 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Met yesterday with other owners from Ohio Valley and Kentucky AROC chapters at the Northern KY Fiat Alfa dealer who had a 4C Spider and coupe available for driving (!). While I love my '76 and '91 Spiders, the 4C is from a different world .

Thanks to Jake Sweeney Alfa Romeo-FIAT | New & Used Car Dealer | Florence, KY for a great time, lunch, and general hospitality.

And, driving on U.S. 227 part of the way back to Lexington was a great route. It's not the Tail of the Dragon, but a very nice example of "Ridge running" with endless connected curves, but hardly any "Gotchas". We cruised almost the entire length in 5th gear and only came upon one car and a farm tractor.
alfaloco likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale

Last edited by conedriver; 04-17-2016 at 04:42 AM.
post #71 of 1719 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 09:15 AM

Pulled the cowl and fixed the broken arm on the wiper shaft. Pulled the seats out, much cutting and drilling due to rusted hardware. Stripped the Hiyashi wheels back to bare aluminum and replace all four tires.
Still need to repair drivers seat pan from PO bad welding so a lot of hammer and dolley work, grinding and weld in new metal and weld nuts. Then on to the floor pan.
rcmanners likes this.

1988 Spider Graduate
post #72 of 1719 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 09:51 PM

Garage
Running Great!!!

I'm new to Alfa's and I'd never driven one until I bought mine. It had some issues and I'm correcting but made great progress today. The engine didn't have the throttle response. It seemed to run rich. I was convinced I had vacuum leaks. The throttle would drop to an almost stall when starting from a complete stop about 50% of the time. It almost felt like the timing was off at times. I finally got an error code 1223 a few days ago. With some time today, I decided to put an end to the poor running engine. After checking the O2 sensor output, I found it way out of range(low). Replaced. I also replace the coolant sensor for good measure. I cleaned every electrical contact with deox-it. Double checked vacuum lines. Presto!!! I now have a lively running engine. The O2 was bad but I like to think the effort in other areas helped too. Each repair makes this little car more spirited. I should've bought one sooner!
spiderJohnNH likes this.
post #73 of 1719 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 12:06 PM

Stood in my garage smoking a cigar, staring at my Alfa and cursing the weather. Fourth Saturday in a row with rain.
post #74 of 1719 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 12:44 PM

Garage
Finally addressed the slow motion wipers. Did a little research, and thanks to this forum, found a host of others with the same issue. Following suit, I pulled the wiper motor out, removed the gear box cover and cleaned out all that old gruddy grease, polished the contacts lightly, replaced with di-electric grease, and cleaned up all the leakages. I also cleaned off all the mounting areas for the motor frame to ensure a better ground. Voila! They actually can probably keep up with the rain now.....if I ever get stuck in it, that is.
Also removed the rear light lenses to address a flickering reverse light. Also found some hints in the forum about replacing the gasket with RTV sealant. New bulbs and new gasket sealant, and it's back in good 'nick' as the Brits say.
Next on the list is the dead window washer pump...suspecting a poor ground there too. Wish me luck!
Thanks to this forum for the all the tips!

coopp
'82 Spider
post #75 of 1719 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 10:07 PM

Started a rebuild/refurb of the center console for the spider. I had to take three incomplete ones to assemble all the parts for one good one. I think I now have a complete set enough to build one of early S2 style.

I need to figure out how to repair the foam on the console. It is mostly there and seriously cracked in two spots but pulling away from the metal frame in many areas. I was thinking black permatex or some other sealant to hold it together?

Also got the old ripped shift boot out. Held on. With steel rivets.anyway just gotta order a new boot and it should go together I hope!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode