What did you do Alfa Spider related today? - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1126Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 1800 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 12:14 PM

Garage
Replaced the cracked fuel filler boot thingy, and adjusted the clutch finally after having replaced the clutch mc a couple weeks ago. The went for a nice ride through the rolling hills of Central NC. Now onto rebuilding the brakes over the next few weeks.
rcmanners likes this.

coopp
'82 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 1800 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 05:58 PM

Hello All -

New to the BB but I can see I'm at the right place. I went shopping for my first Alfa today. I've been looking for a project car and found one close to home. It's a 1980 Spider with a fairly rust free body and fair condition. It originally had a fairly rare (from what I understand) single butterfly intake and Spica but the current owner replaced it with the individuals and now it won't maintain idle. Think I'll have much trouble getting it to run? Can anyone direct me to the best threads or topics for my application? Thanks.
post #48 of 1800 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 06:20 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I listed more of my Alfa factory special tools on here and on ebay. Prices here are cheaper.

Also went and looked at a nice 1985 spider yesterday. Has no compression on number 4 cylinder. Interior is very nice. Paint good. Price was right. So I bought. That makes number 11. Not counting the 4 parts cars.

Also spent some time cleaning out the 1981 spider with webers to sell. Non running car. Engine turns over by hand. Typical rust. Did I mention it has webers.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.

Last edited by Jim G; 03-27-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 1800 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 06:32 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSicilian View Post
Hello All -

New to the BB but I can see I'm at the right place. I went shopping for my first Alfa today. I've been looking for a project car and found one close to home. It's a 1980 Spider with a fairly rust free body and fair condition. It originally had a fairly rare (from what I understand) single butterfly intake and Spica but the current owner replaced it with the individuals and now it won't maintain idle. Think I'll have much trouble getting it to run? Can anyone direct me to the best threads or topics for my application? Thanks.
The single butterfly intake could be considered rare. They were only on 80 and 81 models. Which were the worst years for the Spica system. Mainly because of the single butterfly intake. The current owner replacing it with the earlier intake is a very good thing. If you buy it. Make sure he has the factory airbox to go with it.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #50 of 1800 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 07:07 PM
Platinum Subscriber

The individual throttle body Spica has a device that connects to each throttle body by vacuum hoses and it is involved in controlling the idle. I know jack ***** about Spica and I suggest that you contact Roadtrip. He is an expert.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #51 of 1800 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 01:14 PM
TSI

Took her out of storage Even got to drive with the top down before it rained (mind you, 4 degree C weather is maybe a bit ambitious...
post #52 of 1800 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 08:34 AM

Bought this ... I'm sure I will have a bunch of questions. My first Alfa but not my first project. Not sure what my goal is since the car and I are just getting acquainted. I suppose VIN research is in order ...
Attached Images

post #53 of 1800 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmanners
Thumbs up Another Spider owner joins the ranks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSicilian View Post
Bought this ... I'm sure I will have a bunch of questions. My first Alfa but not my first project. Not sure what my goal is since the car and I are just getting acquainted. I suppose VIN research is in order ...
Congrats! Welcome to the wonderful world of Spiders!

This is a great place for all the answers to your questions- the amount of experience you can tap into here is amazing.

My suggestion- get a shop manual (maybe join AROC?) Always good to have the reference material in your hands. Also- AROC has other literature for SPICA and stuff- check that out too.

Don't forget to post pics as you move along.

Good luck, and have fun!

-Ray

1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce in Alfa Rosso (my 2nd)
post #54 of 1800 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 08:42 PM

Garage
I do like that red piping on the seats.

What you can do with that Spider is only limited by the money you have to put into it, and the time you spend here on the Alfa BB!

And I agree joining up with AROC is another great resource, as well as a terrific bunch of people. AROC | Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #55 of 1800 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 09:41 PM

1989 Spider

I bought an 1989 Spider Veloce and drove it for 6 hours to home in Los Angeles today.
Attached Images

rcmanners and Norseman50 like this.

Last edited by esc2064; 04-03-2016 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Add picture
post #56 of 1800 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 10:22 PM

Smile

I changed the engine oil and cartridge filter, as usual after 5.000 kms. Plus the low oil warning light sender, which had served me for 49 years. Oh, the brown on the bonnet is not rust, it is Tectyl, a rust prevention seal.
Attached Images

alfaloco, esc2064 and rcmanners like this.

[B]1967 Roundtail Spider, "Duetto" Mine since 1970. Meno parole, pi Duetto!.[/B]
My [B][COLOR="Red"]Duetto sites [/COLOR][/B]
and the [B][COLOR="Red"] Duetto Register [/COLOR][/B]
and
[B][COLOR="Red"] Duettoinfo [/COLOR][/B]

Last edited by Wille R.; 04-03-2016 at 06:37 AM.
post #57 of 1800 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 09:01 AM

Got my filthy dirty 1750 motor mounted on the engine stand, made an adapter out of a 2 x 4 box section of galvanized 1/8 steel ; hard to get the nuts on for the motor mount (gotta work in a 1 3/4 inch space) but its done and motor mounted, next up is a full cleaning of what looks like 40 years of grime!
Ordered my floor plans and some other misc parts for the trans along with some other parts from Classic Alfa. DOllar good against the pound so now is a good time to order your stuff from there ! Got the trans bushings on order from Spruell and a upholstery kit from VIck! Spreading the love as best I can
slowly slowly making progress (well not exactly, slowly getting stuff ready for when I actually do make progress!)
rcmanners likes this.

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #58 of 1800 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool Refreshing nearly complete!

Today, I had my mechanic replace my sloppy steering idler with one he rebuilt for me, had the wheels aligned, and took care of a paint chip on the trunk.

I am nearing the end of my "refresh" (not really a restoration since it was in very good condition before I started last fall).

Next up is polishing the new paint, conditioning the new leather, and detailing in and out.

The car looks and runs awesome- maybe even better than new! Can't wait to finish getting it shiny, then going on a road trip to the Florida Keys with a good friend of mine (she's even prettier than my Spider!)

Latest pics coming soon...

-Ray
alfaloco likes this.

post #59 of 1800 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 03:21 PM

Today my ATE Brake Reservoir cap with gasket arrived

from California since my old gasket swelled, and I checked on my Centerline purchase, which is enroute to Florida so I can have my new stainless brake lines installed, new ATE fluid installed, and the calipers can be rebuilt with the kits I bought. Pads and rotors already done. This is what "Mia" looked like when she won in her Class at the Viva Alfa Show in Celebration, Florida this past October. I got her February 2015. She has 37k miles now, and is almost completely restored.
Attached Images

alfaloco, esc2064 and rcmanners like this.
post #60 of 1800 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool No work, just play today!

It was a PERFECT DAY here in South Florida today- especially for top-down drivin', so instead of detailing the interior, I went cruisin' down A1A (along the ocean) soakin' up sun and cranking tunes. Sofia is looking gorgeous (even without the fully detailed interior) and turned heads everywhere, as sexy Italians will.

At one point I was stopped at a red light, and a couple of hot girls across the street liked the Rihanna tune I was playing and decided to dance for me! Wish I took a pic

Ahhh... life is good!

-Ray
alfaloco, esc2064 and DrinkMan like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode