What did you do Alfa Spider related today? - Page 34 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1125Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #496 of 1798 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 06:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by conedriver View Post
Ordered this a few days back for our autocross Spider https://www.alfaholics.com/race-part...pring-kit-105/

DHL delivery scheduled for Monday.
That kit is on my list. Would love to hear impressions once you have it installed.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #497 of 1798 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 07:11 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Hi Murray!.

I have 800lb. front springs now, but after consulting with Max Banks at Alfaholics he recommended 700lb. springs. The new smaller spring connects to the A-arm further toward the wheel so a lower rate spring still provides the same "wheel spring rate". Alfaholics also makes a rear coil-over kit but this comes with their adjustable shock inside the spring. I want to continue using my custom double adjustable Koni shocks so plan to assemble my own coil over configuration using individual components. The Alfaholics rear coil over kit takes the entire spring load on the shock absorber mount and Max says this is suitable for springs up to 300lb. I found a little adapter plate to transition from a 2 1/4 spring to the original mounting of a stock spring so will use this as I don't like the idea of all of the rear spring load on the shock mount.

The spring kit arrived yesterday and the workmanship is outstanding. Several years back, at an AROC convention, Max told me their suppliers are in the British F1 industry - like McClaren, Williams, etc. that's why their stuff is $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by msiert View Post
What lb springs are you going to use George?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #498 of 1798 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 07:28 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I see evidence in the pictures of another Alfaholics customer. Get the Spider finished for the 2018 convention so we can compete together!. Rumor has it that the autocross will be like the one in the 2014 Detroit convention with two cars running on opposite courses and the first one back is the winner.

The convention is actually in Olympia AROC-USA National Convention Sempreverde 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delllta View Post
Started Laying Out/Installing The Wiring Harness Into My 1974 Spider Autocross Project Car. I'm Going To Have The Car Finished For The 2018 Alfa National Convention In Seattle.....I'm Going To Have The Car Finished For The 2018 Alfa National Convention In Seattle.....I'm Going To Have The Car Finished For The 2018 Alfa National Convention In Seattle........Repeat After Me!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

Scuderia Non Originale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #499 of 1798 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 12:52 PM

I called and made appointment with mechanic...I hope by now he can find my electrical problem...he ouldnt in October after my trip to Gulfport..
story: driving to Gulfport for Cruising the Coast event...all was fine (as it has been since purchase)..until 20 minutes before arriving (about 400 miles at that point).all three pod gauges went dead...and "gen" (alternator) light came on...thinking I had a busted belt, I kept going to see if I could make it... I did.
I checked...had fan belt...hmmm, checked fuses, had a bad one "Ahh , that's it!" replaced, it blew...three of them on at a time...took it to a local mechanic...of course they didn't know Alfas, could nt work on it...didn't have electrical diagrams..
I asked them to just see if the alternator charded...it di..
so I drove back to Houston with out gauges and red glowing light close to 440 miles.. ....about 15 minutes before I arrived home, gauges came back on!..then next coupe of days it was intermittent...
took it to mechanic ,of course when there it all worked....
since Ive driven it most every weekend...and seems to be more "off" now than "on"...noticed that IF gauges work and I turn on radio, radio is quiet and gauges stop working...sometimes at red liht in idle if I move shifter to the right, sometimes gauges come on until I move it left again...
so, I think I have concluded its in the console, and probably related to the radio (which used to work , but I didn't use it on my trip to Gulfport , since you don't hear it going 70...lol)...
So tomorrow , back to the mechanic...hopefully it wont work when I leave it there...
I HATE electric stuff!
Ragnomaniac likes this.

1974 Spider (Dellorto carburated)
recent previously: 58 Giulietta, 69 Firebird 400 convertible, 71 TR6, 68 GT6
post #500 of 1798 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conedriver View Post
Hi Murray!.

I have 800lb. front springs now, but after consulting with Max Banks at Alfaholics he recommended 700lb. springs. The new smaller spring connects to the A-arm further toward the wheel so a lower rate spring still provides the same "wheel spring rate". Alfaholics also makes a rear coil-over kit but this comes with their adjustable shock inside the spring. I want to continue using my custom double adjustable Koni shocks so plan to assemble my own coil over configuration using individual components. The Alfaholics rear coil over kit takes the entire spring load on the shock absorber mount and Max says this is suitable for springs up to 300lb. I found a little adapter plate to transition from a 2 1/4 spring to the original mounting of a stock spring so will use this as I don't like the idea of all of the rear spring load on the shock mount

The spring kit arrived yesterday and the workmanship is outstanding. Several years back, at an AROC convention, Max told me their suppliers are in the British F1 industry - like McClaren, Williams, etc. that's why their stuff is $$$
And to think the springs I got from IAP was advertised at 1,200 lbs. I came pretty close to buying that kit back in the day.

I would like to go to the 2018 convention but it's to far for my old pickup to trailer my Alfa out there and back. I'm hopeful that the 2019 convention will be closer to the Midwest.

Darkside Member
post #501 of 1798 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 05:05 AM
Platinum Subscriber

The new Three Rivers AROC chapter in Pittsburgh, PA has proposed their location for the 2019 national convention. Approval is under discussion by the AROC board of directors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msiert View Post
....I would like to go to the 2018 convention but it's to far for my old pickup to trailer my Alfa out there and back. I'm hopeful that the 2019 convention will be closer to the Midwest.
Sfizio and spiderJohnNH like this.

George Schweikle

Scuderia Non Originale
post #502 of 1798 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 06:18 AM

Garage
Took advantage of some sun Saturday afternoon to get the Spider out and running for a backroads drive. Happy the car started right up after a long stretch of bitter cold here. Mapped a drive through rural Ann Arundel county with lots of twists and hills. I'm trying to drive it at least once a month through the winter to keep everying lubricated and the battery charged. Certainly not "top down" weather, but a sunny winter day comes close! I'm more convinced I need to add the second muffler and replace the "stinger" exhaust--it was a loud 90 minutes on the road!
spiderJohnNH likes this.
post #503 of 1798 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastportalfa View Post
Took advantage of some sun Saturday afternoon to get the Spider out and running for a backroads drive. Happy the car started right up after a long stretch of bitter cold here. Mapped a drive through rural Ann Arundel county with lots of twists and hills. I'm trying to drive it at least once a month through the winter to keep everying lubricated and the battery charged. Certainly not "top down" weather, but a sunny winter day comes close! I'm more convinced I need to add the second muffler and replace the "stinger" exhaust--it was a loud 90 minutes on the road!
I do the same thing, I don't store my Spider durning the winter, there is usually an opportunity once a month to get it out. Has to be dry roads though.

I missed an opportunity last week, dry streets but they where pretty white from the calcium chloride residue. In hide sight I should have taken her out, got more snow since.

I found that getting it out in the morning before the snow melts into the streets works too.

Darkside Member
post #504 of 1798 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 02:41 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
It was a nice day and I have about 500 miles since my engine rebuild, so I changed the oil.
Attached Images

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #505 of 1798 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloboy89 View Post
It was a nice day and I have about 500 miles since my engine rebuild, so I changed the oil.
And I hope you found a nice, clean magnet on the plug.

Rich Hanning
'65 Sprint GT, '78 Spider, '88 Quad
post #506 of 1798 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 07:39 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Sprint View Post
And I hope you found a nice, clean magnet on the plug.
Absolutely nothing on the magnet, which was nice to see.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #507 of 1798 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 04:12 PM

Catching up posting on some of my progress of bring back to life a 71 spider. Took all the suspension out and replaced bushing and clean everything up. Calipers went to PMB to be refurbished. Remounted everything and sprayed Eastwoods Rubberized Rust Encapsulator in the wheel wells. Next up the engine...

-Ken
Attached Images

alfaloco and sloboy89 like this.
post #508 of 1798 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 04:18 PM

Mounted new ring gear... my ring gear looked really worn. I got a new one thru ClasicAlfa. As found in the forum, used drift and worked my way around and around to get the old one off. Than flywheel in freezer over night and ring in over at 210F. The ring gear just drops right on. You have about 15-30 sec to get it all done before they're fixed together. If you need to do it, it's really not that hard.

-Ken
Attached Images

post #509 of 1798 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 07:38 PM

A Drive in January

Not so much what I did today but what I got done before today.

I got the Spider out last weekend before the snow came today. Saturday it got almost to 50 F and the roads where dry and clear of residue from the de-icer from the last snow.

Everything went well on the first of 2018 test drive of 40 miles round trip to DQ that included filling up the tank on the way home.

We missed the worst of the storm with just 4" of wet snow, just North and West of here got pounded.
Attached Images

Darkside Member

Last edited by msiert; 01-22-2018 at 07:41 PM.
post #510 of 1798 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 05:27 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
My Spider has been in the paint shop getting a couple of things touched up, so I guess I was going through Alfa withdrawals and bought this:
Attached Images

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport

Last edited by sloboy89; 02-02-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode