What did you do Alfa Spider related today? - Page 31 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1133Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #451 of 1807 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sRacer View Post
Most brake fluids absorb water slowly, and over a few years can rust the brake lines (from the inside) and the caliper pistons pretty badly. This is another one that should be replaced every two years.
Dot 5.1 brake fluid is suitable for most applications. Avoid the "Pure Silicon" (DOT 5) brake fluids as this stuff causes serious problems with rubber seals in some Alfa brake systems.

Good luck.

Robert
DOT 5 is only bad for ABS systems because if forms air bubbles with agitation. The seals will be fine, and this is a great way to save your paint. Seals aren't prone to fail with silicone fluid any more than regular DOT3, 4 or 5.1. It's good stuff and there's a ton of myths out there about it. I've had it in my TR6 since the early 90's. It rocks, and when your aftermarket brake or clutch master dies slowly with out you noticing, it won't eat your paint.

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1807 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 11:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderJohnNH View Post
I still hope for a warm day or two.

Had one on Tuesday so I went for a beer run.
Attached Images

alfaloco and spiderJohnNH like this.

Spending my kids' inheritance one mechanic at a time.
post #453 of 1807 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 10:47 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Discovered that my Thanskgiving dinner host just bought a Stelvio.
spiderJohnNH likes this.

'84 Spider Veloce...Why do I have a feeling this is going to be more expensive than my dog showing hobby was...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 1807 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 08:34 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Busy Alfa Day. Went to the leather store and bought materials and supplies so I can make my own replacement straps and what nots. Installed new door guide lugs. Then got bicycle brake cable and housing so I can make back ups for trunk and hood. Got little rubber grommets also. Washed car. Applied Rustoleum Wipe New to the side view mirror housings and duck tail to try and bring the black back (1st and third pics- really made a difference on the housing that attaches to the car door). Then waxed the car with Turtle Wax Jet Black Black Box Finish kit (see SHINY mirror like finish in pic two).

Took about two hours to do the last two items. So far both products appear to have made a difference. I have a bad trunk deck where some crazy PO apparently placed a can of paint thinner and rag.... it's so sad to look at (pic 4- also shows hand dent-not from me- .. but it actually looks better now- you'll have to take my word for it).

Accomplished a lot considering I also did my black friday shopping.
Attached Images

'84 Spider Veloce...Why do I have a feeling this is going to be more expensive than my dog showing hobby was...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #455 of 1807 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 08:38 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzz View Post
It's cold here also in Northern Jersey, but I'm not tucking her in for the winter yet!
I have sorted through and fixed all the very minor issues I've uncovered since taking possession of her
earlier this month and plan on doing the usual belts, hoses, fluids, mounts etc at my leisure. But I have one last
item that needs to be addressed now that all the minor items are identified or corrected, and that is a very prominent
metallic rattle noise from the left front fender area while driving on normal roads with no harsh bumps.
I thought it might be the hood prop rod or the loose and worn door stop, but how knows!
I borrowed a set of Chassis Ears from a guy at work, so thats what I plan on doing this Sunday.
The car's in unbelievable shape and I feel very fortunate to have it in my garage!
it definitely found a good home!!
Where in NJ are you located?

Thanks

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
post #456 of 1807 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 04:08 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to spiderJohnNH Send a message via Skype™ to spiderJohnNH
Saturday was yet another unusually warm day, in the 60's. After the Christmas decorations were up, we did a 20 minute top down run at 3:15 pm.

JR

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Sfizio likes this.

John R
So. NH, USA --'87 Spider Veloce
See you along the road - member of AROC/AONE

other current members of the fleet

2017 VW Jetta Tsi
2006 Subaru Outback - almost a driveway requirement in VT & NH
2007 Toyota Corolla

previous
2009 VW Jett TDi (Deer took this one out)
1984 Mercedes 300TDT wagon, rust took that one
1972 Mercedes 280SE, got in straight swap for the Discovery
1996 Land Rover Discovery
1986 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon
1962 VW Bug - 6 volt
1974 Triumph Spitfire - wobbly driveshaft kept destroying stuff
1972 Triumph Spitfire - got totaled while parked at DMV

some others that were less interesting
post #457 of 1807 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 01:20 PM

Garage
Well, I went to back the S4 out of the driveway last night, noticed I had no brake lights flashing. The fuse was fine, since the interior lights worked on the same circuit. I looked in my backup parts stash I bought from IAP waaaay back when, and behold a brake light switch!

I put some pliers on the old one, turned it out of the slots in the tab, plugged in the new one and tried to rotate it back into the locking slots. Man-- very tight fit! Not wanting to break the new switch, I put a dab of lithium grease on the three small fingers that fit into the slots, put the pliers on it and it rotated into place. Pushed the switch down a bit to ensure the lights would go out. Presto - chango... brake lights.

But I'm still postponing the heater core R&R on my trusty little Nissan pickup...

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #458 of 1807 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 01:33 PM

At lest it's not the heater in your Alfa. That has to be done of the hardest pieces to get at. You nearly have to disassemble the entire interior and dash to get at it. And that always risks damaging the not-high-reliability heater valve!

Robert
post #459 of 1807 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 04:39 PM

Garage
At 61 degrees.........

Too nice today here in the DC area to fail to get the Spider out with the top down! Had a good excuse as I took the car in to get the convertible top replaced. The interior of the top was shot with dry rot, the seals were cracked and the rear window plastic had a tear that only drew attention to how much it was yellowed and cloudy.

Enjoyed a nice run around Annapolis, then up to Baltimore for the work. Will post a picture when I get it back.
post #460 of 1807 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 05:30 AM

Garage
Made pancakes.
Attached Images

alfaloco and spiderJohnNH like this.

post #461 of 1807 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 04:42 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to spiderJohnNH Send a message via Skype™ to spiderJohnNH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfizio View Post
Made pancakes.
Tom

Great to read your letter in the AROC magazine. Cool stuff.

We have not opened our syrup yet.

John

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

John R
So. NH, USA --'87 Spider Veloce
See you along the road - member of AROC/AONE

other current members of the fleet

2017 VW Jetta Tsi
2006 Subaru Outback - almost a driveway requirement in VT & NH
2007 Toyota Corolla

previous
2009 VW Jett TDi (Deer took this one out)
1984 Mercedes 300TDT wagon, rust took that one
1972 Mercedes 280SE, got in straight swap for the Discovery
1996 Land Rover Discovery
1986 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon
1962 VW Bug - 6 volt
1974 Triumph Spitfire - wobbly driveshaft kept destroying stuff
1972 Triumph Spitfire - got totaled while parked at DMV

some others that were less interesting
post #462 of 1807 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:52 PM

Garage
Took a drive and made it only 2 miles to the junction of Skyline Drive and Ringwood Ave which is a pretty busy intersection!
Engaged the clutch at the stop sign and the engine just sputtered out with no warning. The battery was too weak to crank the starter.
Flat Bedded back to house and rolled it into the garage.
Found battery low at 11.5 volts and did start with the battery charger hooked up.
Alternator was not charging, BUT, also there was no battery light lit on the dash with key in on position.
Broke out the shop manual and found the V wire from dash battery light runs to junction G56 ( on left side of inner fender ) and then runs
to the Alternator.
Took off the plastic cover at G56 and found the V terminal pushed out of the plastic connector and not making contact.
Tightened and reinstalled connector and now the battery light works and alternator charges!
I've had the car only a few weeks, so that connector must have been lightly making contact because it was charging at 14 volts for some time.
At least I was only out for a pleasure cruise and there was no cost for repair, just $105 flat bed charge and I was close to home in the friendliest town of Ringwood with the whole episode lasting only 20 minutes.

I still have a prominent metallic rattle from the left door/fender area to diagnose, but thats for another another day.
My wife doesn't know it yet, but since we are leaving our 2 Greyhounds home this Sunday, we are driving the Alfa up the winding country roads to my
Daughters house in Sussex County.
I still have some time left before the Winter sets in!!
alfaloco and John533i like this.
post #463 of 1807 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 06:03 PM

Alfa's show love by leaving us on the side of the highway occasionally. Just have to accept it.

The sure way to make one stop is to think about how well the car is running.

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Don - 1984 Spider Veloce[/FONT]
post #464 of 1807 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 06:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzz View Post
since we are leaving our 2 Greyhounds home this Sunday, we are driving the Alfa up the winding country roads to my
Daughters house in Sussex County.
Always better to take the Alfa rather than the bus.

post #465 of 1807 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 05:13 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Warm for November!

Here in Ohio, if you get a 60 degree F day with sunshine, wash the Spider!!

I glued the vent window latches that I got from alfajon1967 on the driver's and passenger's vent windows. I consider them more decorative than secure...

50 years from now - how are we going to restore a "classic" microprocessor based modern car?? Alfas - 1980 Spider, 1987 Milano, 1976 Spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode