What did you do Alfa Spider related today? - Page 30 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1123Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #436 of 1798 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 07:08 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Rented a cargo van, picked up a friend and drove into San Francisco to pick up my hardtop. Turns out it had the J hooks and I could have saved myself hundreds of dollars by driving the Alfa and putting it on. Prior owner had no idea how to attach hardtop and didn't live where the hardtop was stored.

'84 Spider Veloce...Why do I have a feeling this is going to be more expensive than my dog showing hobby was...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #437 of 1798 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 01:25 AM

Did it have the covers that fit over the J hooks, also?

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6
post #438 of 1798 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
Just one relay. Alfa moved the the location of the relay around on the fusebox. I think the location difference is whether you have a bullet fusebox or the blade style fusebox.
I figured it out! Thanks for making me look. Yesterday, I pulled the fuse panel down to switch relays around- my fuse box is different than those in the Bentley manual, and I thought that needed to switch some relays around. I found that the major relays have special pin-outs in back and only fit in certain holes...BUT I found that two wires were almost all the way pushed out of the back of the relay plugs! One for the rear defogger, and one for the relay next to it. I now have power to the rear window, and my turn signal and hazzard now flash in the gauge pod. I actually thought it was a burned out bulb...

Today I had much less luck. I went to install a starter relay, having heard it was a '30min' job. I can't even access the starter from under the car!! I didn't feel like pulling the intake off. So then I went for the front bumper- need to remove that and replace a bent bumper shock, but the side markers wouldn't budge. No twisting to remove, frozen in good. So that job was put back a while.

So I just took it for a drive. Then raked leaves

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #439 of 1798 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 12:24 AM

I did my starter relay (S4, euro) from up top....didn't need to remove anything.
just got a wrench in from under the intake (going from the front) to undo the nut for the main feed on the starter; the little spade trigger wire on solenoid just pulls off (and in my case this trigger wire was already long enough to feed up to the relay, pin #86)

it is no harder, really, that getting at the oil pressure sender.

!Disconnect battery first!

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #440 of 1798 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
I did my starter relay (S4, euro) from up top....didn't need to remove anything.
just got a wrench in from under the intake (going from the front) to undo the nut for the main feed on the starter; the little spade trigger wire on solenoid just pulls off (and in my case this trigger wire was already long enough to feed up to the relay, pin #86)

it is no harder, really, that getting at the oil pressure sender.

!Disconnect battery first!
I can't hardly even see the starter to get a tool in there! Much less the spade clip on the solinoid...

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6
post #441 of 1798 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 02:30 PM

Garage
I have been taking care of all the little bugs on my 91 S4
Removed the radio to see if I can adjust the 3 A/C vents closer to the dash, which had a 1/4" gap and squeaked excessively.
Removed the vent bezel and found the upper center metal tab was loose and not holding upper bezel tight to dash.
Also found the rubber A/C vent hose's on left and right sides disconnected which accounts for the loss of air flow from the center vents with A/C
blower on.
After scraping up my hands pretty good, I was able to get the rubber hoses back on and re secured the vent bezel by bending the metal tab
to draw the bezel in tighter to the dash.
Fits nice now with no more gap or squeaks.
The PO actually took it to an Alfa Dealer years ago for this condition and after trying to fix it, told him to stick a piece of cardboard
in the gap to stop the squeak! haha.
post #442 of 1798 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 02:42 PM

Garage
I also had a buzz throughout the body at a certain engine rpm which I isolated to the lower engine oil pan sitting on the oil pan guard.
I removed the oil pan guard and the buzz is gone.
There is a mark on either end of the oil pan guard where the oil pan was contacting.

I guess it's time for new motor mounts and I will probably shim the oil pan guard down by 1/4" or so.

Should the guard normally be shimmed?
post #443 of 1798 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 02:59 PM

Normally no shims. You have diagnosed the most likely cause - sagging engine mounts. But also, the sump guard can get bent pretty easily in serving its function. Take it off - you'll need to anyway to replace the engine mounts - and carefully inspect for bent parts.

BTW - look at the rear transmission mount as well.

Robert
post #444 of 1798 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 03:59 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
no covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by John533i View Post
Did it have the covers that fit over the J hooks, also?
Nope... I may just make some myself...

'84 Spider Veloce...Why do I have a feeling this is going to be more expensive than my dog showing hobby was...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #445 of 1798 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 04:43 PM

Garage
Hey Huzz. I gained over an inch of clearance on my 91 between the pan guard and the pan when I installed new engine and transmission mounts. Along with a significant improvement in drivability and ease of shifting esp 2nd gear. Feels like a different car.
post #446 of 1798 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 06:21 PM

Garage
Service Baseline for 1993 Spider Veloce

Got my Spider back Friday after getting a complete check of the engine/performance/alignment etc. I've driven the car "gently" since it arrived from California until I could get a good assessment on all the systems. There were few service records with the Spider, so I knew I needed to get it set up right and begin a service history.

Good news was no major problems or issues--the Spider is as rust-free as hoped, but still found a few surprises. The front end had been repaired--could see the welds with the car up on the lift--and the hood was replaced with that repair. The engine mounts were also shot.

Overall the Spider mostly needed standard maintence items for a car of this age--servicing the valves, replacing several belts and gaskets, spark plugs, door seals, realignment, adjust the tie rods and change the oil. The improvement in how the Spider drove was outstanding! I also feel a lot more confident, knowing the engine, transmission, brakes, suspension and steering are set and ready for the road.
John533i likes this.
post #447 of 1798 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 07:01 PM

You should also drain and replace the transmission and differential. Redline 70/90 NS (?) is the recommended oil to use in both. You should fine the tx shifting much better. 14 mm and 17 mm allen hex wrenches are needed for this.

While the car is up on the lift to do this, lube the drive shaft u-joints (most of them have zerk fittings for a standard grease gun). Some cars have zerks on the tie rod ends and front ball joints as well. They can be installed if they don't by a good "old-school" mechanic. Inspect the rubber "Gubio" ring at the end of the TX. This piece often cracks and can fail an really surprising times. Several of the usual suppliers sell a BMW- derived drive flex joint that is MUCH stronger.

Then have the cooling system drained, flushed and refilled. This should be done every two years anyway. Lots of crud accumulates in our aging cooling systems.

If you have a competent Alfa mechanic, have the head retorqued. This can head-off a head gasket leak, but must be done very correctly.

Finally, get a really good brake fluid flush and replacement, with a really well done brake bleeding will keep the system in good shape. Most brake fluids absorb water slowly, and over a few years can rust the brake lines (from the inside) and the caliper pistons pretty badly. This is another one that should be replaced every two years.
Dot 5.1 brake fluid is suitable for most applications. Avoid the "Pure Silicon" (DOT 5) brake fluids as this stuff causes serious problems with rubber seals in some Alfa brake systems.

Good luck.

Robert

Last edited by 60sRacer; 11-19-2017 at 07:04 PM.
post #448 of 1798 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 05:49 AM

Garage
Not much, you?

Cold in Connecticut. Convertible season is over.
Attached Images

Spending my kids' inheritance one mechanic at a time.
post #449 of 1798 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 04:38 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to spiderJohnNH Send a message via Skype™ to spiderJohnNH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfizio View Post
Cold in Connecticut. Convertible season is over.
I still hope for a warm day or two. Ready to uncover and roll.

John

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Sfizio likes this.

John R
So. NH, USA --'87 Spider Veloce
See you along the road - member of AROC/AONE

other current members of the fleet

2017 VW Jetta Tsi
2006 Subaru Outback - almost a driveway requirement in VT & NH
2007 Toyota Corolla

previous
2009 VW Jett TDi (Deer took this one out)
1984 Mercedes 300TDT wagon, rust took that one
1972 Mercedes 280SE, got in straight swap for the Discovery
1996 Land Rover Discovery
1986 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon
1962 VW Bug - 6 volt
1974 Triumph Spitfire - wobbly driveshaft kept destroying stuff
1972 Triumph Spitfire - got totaled while parked at DMV

some others that were less interesting
post #450 of 1798 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 05:49 PM

Garage
It's cold here also in Northern Jersey, but I'm not tucking her in for the winter yet!
I have sorted through and fixed all the very minor issues I've uncovered since taking possession of her
earlier this month and plan on doing the usual belts, hoses, fluids, mounts etc at my leisure. But I have one last
item that needs to be addressed now that all the minor items are identified or corrected, and that is a very prominent
metallic rattle noise from the left front fender area while driving on normal roads with no harsh bumps.
I thought it might be the hood prop rod or the loose and worn door stop, but how knows!
I borrowed a set of Chassis Ears from a guy at work, so thats what I plan on doing this Sunday.
The car's in unbelievable shape and I feel very fortunate to have it in my garage!
it definitely found a good home!!
Attached Images

Sfizio, spiderJohnNH and Asym like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode